IGNORED

Derby County

havanatopia

Just now, Davefevs said:

My dad had dealings with Maxwell (not directly) in the 80s in the printing business.  Maxwell was feared by his employees. Nasty piece of business.

A vile man by all accounts. Some of his kin don’t seem much better either…but that’s a different story for a different thread! 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh yes. Wasn't he also behind the idea of merging Reading and Oxford into the Thames Valley Royals or some such nonsense too?

Would need to do some reading up as I was still in single digits when he was around! But he definitely owned Oxford at some point so wouldn’t surprise me. 

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Would need to do some reading up as I was still in single digits when he was around! But he definitely owned Oxford at some point so wouldn’t surprise me. 

I just had a look at this as a reminder.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_Valley_Royals_proposal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My dad had dealings with Maxwell (not directly) in the 80s in the printing business.  Maxwell was feared by his employees. Nasty piece of business.

I met and lunched with him a few times in his apartment and have many mates who worked (still work) at his publications. Odd fellow, never to be trusted, as was known at the time.

Just read John Preston's biog of him, decent account of the times and of those who knew him. 

21 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I met and lunched with him a few times in his apartment and have many mates who worked (still work) at his publications. Odd fellow, never to be trusted, as was known at the time.

Just read John Preston's biog of him, decent account of the times and of those who knew him. 

My dad wouldn’t release a job because Maxwell had stopped a cheque.  The finance director said he’d pay once the job had been received.  My dad dug his heels in.  FD shit himself because he’d have to tell Maxwell the job would be late.  A new cheque was couriered down, dad took it to the bank, asked for it to be specially presented.  Next day Bank confirmed it as paid, Dad released the job to be couriered to Maxwell’s company.

Next day, FD phones up to say he’d received the job, but they were gonna stop the cheque and have to pay later.  My dad told him he had paid the bank to have it specially presented and it had been “paid” by Maxwell’s bankers, so a stop wouldn’t work.  FD shit himself again.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My dad wouldn’t release a job because Maxwell had stopped a cheque.  The finance director said he’d pay once the job had been received.  My dad dug his heels in.  FD shit himself because he’d have to tell Maxwell the job would be late.  A new cheque was couriered down, dad took it to the bank, asked for it to be specially presented.  Next day Bank confirmed it as paid, Dad released the job to be couriered to Maxwell’s company.

Next day, FD phones up to say he’d received the job, but they were gonna stop the cheque and have to pay later.  My dad told him he had paid the bank to have it specially presented and it had been “paid” by Maxwell’s bankers, so a stop wouldn’t work.  FD shit himself again.

Great story! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Great work Mr Fevs! 

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sounds about right.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

FD?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

What was your Dads company, Dave? If you don’t mind me asking. In the print trade myself. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Remember reading a story (and I might have this slightly wrong) about Maxwell giving a decorator an absolute earful for smoking whilst working, and made the on the whim decision to sack him there and then.

Brief negotiation followed and the sacked bloke (who had just finished the job and was an employee of a firm of decorators, not Maxwell), left the building with about a month's worth of money and just carried on with his career, his employer none the wiser that someone who he didn't work for had tried to sack him from a job he didn't have.

• Haha 6

Rooney did confirm no players would be sold before Monday's transfer deadline. That news comes amid interest in skipper Tom Lawrence from promotion-chasing Bournemouth.

"I have spoken to Tom," said Rooney. "His agent was speaking with the administrators. He is the captain of the club and has had a fantastic season. There is no issue with me and Tom. The administrators have assured me he won't be going. That is that."

So Lawrence is off then.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60173135

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Rooney did confirm no players would be sold before Monday's transfer deadline. That news comes amid interest in skipper Tom Lawrence from promotion-chasing Bournemouth.

"I have spoken to Tom," said Rooney. "His agent was speaking with the administrators. He is the captain of the club and has had a fantastic season. There is no issue with me and Tom. The administrators have assured me he won't be going. That is that."

So Lawrence is off then.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60173135

Funny that reports today say administrators told Bomo their £250k in installments had to be £500k paid in full, immediately.

Perchance Wayne isn't being fully kept abreast of matters......

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

Perchance Wayne isn't being fully kept abreast of matters......

You mean that famed insolvency practitioner, part-time football manager, and saviour of Derby and all those who sail in her Wayne Rooney might not have a complete grasp of all the nuances of a complicated football administration and might not be told everything by the administrators?

Shocking if true.

31 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Same here. Growing up in Midsomer Norton, there were a lot of Purnells workers around that got totally stitched up by Maxwell. 

My dad was interviewed by him for a job at Oxford United which, thank ****, he decided not to take. 

32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My dad was interviewed by him for a job at Oxford United which, thank ****, he decided not to take. 

OTOH there were plenty who exploited Cptn Bob's megalomaniac desire for attention and power and did very well for themselves on the back of it, not all of whom were senior staff members.

His brown envelopes to printers every important edition were famed. I knew one old 'Kodjia' who spent his Saturdays drinking in a local watering hole (empty at weekends.) His sole function was to open the roof door to the helipad at 6pm each Saturday night when Bob arrived to review the first stones of the Mirror & People's Sunday pages. He then locked up when Bob left 50 mins later. For that he picked up in the region of £250 (this being mid 80s).

Edited by BTRFTG
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Midred said:

Business ambassador? What a state Derby city must be in!

Presumably a matter of time before they sell Derby Council House to Mel with local council tax payers saying what a genius he is. Shortly before the city goes bust.

And it will all be the EFL's fault.

• Like 2