IGNORED

Derby County

havanatopia

Apologies for the source- ie the website- but Nixon has been rather good on FFP matters and Derby issues since the new rules came in.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/17471890/derby-rushing-legal-compensation-sell-club/

Looks like the Middlesbrough and Wycombe cases WILL have to be heard, possibly via the arbitration mechanism- all credit to the EFL for not folding! Could well resolve it but very glad that justice will be done either way and the spurious attempts to get the cases thrown out before even being heard might have failed.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

OTOH there were plenty who exploited Cptn Bob's megalomaniac desire for attention and power and did very well for themselves on the back of it, not all of whom were senior staff members.

His brown envelopes to printers every important edition were famed. I knew one old 'Kodjia' who spent his Saturdays drinking in a local watering hole (empty at weekends.) His sole function was to open the roof door to the helipad at 6pm each Saturday night when Bob arrived to review the first stones of the Mirror & People's Sunday pages. He then locked up when Bob left 50 mins later. For that he picked up in the region of £250 (this being mid 80s).

I was trying to remember the name Dad used when tell me the story.

Little chant for Derby- take it in the spirit it's intended etc but thought it up the other day...it chimes stanza to verse wise.

"E-I-E-I-E-I-O

Out the Football League you go

When you're liquidated

This is what we'll sing

You were Derby- Derby County

Melvyn was your King!"

Too soon?

I don't actually think it'll happen but if they're still in a financial mess in April when we go there...

Derby fans talk about our lack of understanding- a couple of us have been quoted :laugh:.

Calling others clowns, fair maybe but given their lack of understanding and willingness to try to understand the whole process...it's worth noting the reaction when news filtered through that the EFL were likely to win their appeal. Delve into the archives.

Nixon has called a lot of this, especially the FFP stuff right throughout but how they were sceptical.

Page 25 onwards is quite illuminating- when Nixon's story last May just after the season ended about Derby facing a potentially massive points deduction for the FFP issue.

https://dcfcfans.uk/topic/36136-efl-appeal/page/25/#comments

Settlement meant it was -9, further 3 suspended and a raft of conditions- plus accepting the -12 in administration but the EFL as per breach sizes over the period could have pushed for as many as 17 IMO had it gone to an IDC but quite happy with the overall settlement- and conditions moving forward.

Page 25 onwards is relatively illuminating- granted they did not receive a deduction in 2020/21 but I think there was some scepticism about whether they would get docked points at all. It's a long read but Page 25-89 covers it and the immediate aftermath of the news of the appeal.

On 27/01/2022 at 16:49, chinapig said:

Theoretically maybe. But do you really think the EFL see them as equivalent to Bury? They knew they could let Bury die with very little backlash despite their role in waving through dodgy owners.

Likewise the media whose response to Bury's demise was basically "Oh dear, never mind, ooh look Man Utd have tweeted something we can make a clickbait story out of".

Yes they do see them as the same as Bury and any other member of the efl, burys owners let Bury die not the efl and the same will happen to Derby, it's not for the efl to bail them out

I read in today's paper the EFL have decided to give Derby another month to see if they can raise enough money to complete the season.

On one hand the EFL are trying to preserve the solidarity of the League.

On the other hand, one more month is one month nearer the end of the season, so not as much cash needs finding.

43 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Little chant for Derby- take it in the spirit it's intended etc but thought it up the other day...it chimes stanza to verse wise.

"E-I-E-I-E-I-O

Out the Football League you go

When you're liquidated

This is what we'll sing

You were Derby- Derby County

Melvyn was your King!"

I don't actually think it'll happen but if they're still in a financial mess in April when we go there...

If I go to the Derby away game I’ll be getting a t-shirt printed up to wear up there with ‘I AM NOT MR POPODOPOLOUS’ on it in big bold letters! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

27 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Yes they do see them as the same as Bury and any other member of the efl, burys owners let Bury die not the efl and the same will happen to Derby, it's not for the efl to bail them out

Of course the owners are responsible and I have not suggested a bail out. But there have been serial failings by the EFL also.

Where the EFL fell down on Bury was approving demonstrably dodgy owners. Parry has admitted they have not demanded enough of prospective owners of clubs and wants a tougher regime.

I also don't recall them putting in anywhere near the time and effort into finding a solution as they are doing for Derby. We all knew there would be a brief fuss then Bury would be forgotten.

And my point about the media stands. If only Wayne Rooney had been Bury manager eh??

On Derby, as Parry has also admitted, they acted far too slowly.

On both counts the rules and processes have been and are being strengthened, which we hope will prevent further cases.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

When Bury were going under, I'm sure someone suggested that 'Rooney was on 100k a week and he could save them if he wanted to' (not that it had anything to do with them).

Wonder if there are any business people in Bury who could save Derby.

Not technically in but was of Bury...

What's this guy up to these days?

hqdefault.jpg

3 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite.

When he gets on the property ladder and buys his first place, people will think he has spent a 6 figure sum on a jar of instant coffee.

You may jest but he deliberately did exactly that. He purchased the building in which we had a leasehold and also the one next door in Fetter Lane, in which he housed his apartment. That he renamed in bold as brass lettering 'Maxwell House'. Never shy of publicity was Cptn Bob.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-administration-mp-update-6571795

An area MP making a few things clear

1 Derby has massive debts

2 The possible Wycombe/Middlesbrough proportion of the final total amount of debt is not that big

3 The EFL are not in a position to proceed with their duty until there is a preferred bidder which there is not  

4 Mel Morris and the ground ownership is an issue

It has been mentioned that three bidders have met the asking price by Derby supporters, this is clearly not the case as the combined debt is the asking price plus how that plays into stadium ownership.

It seems there have been three bids, to the best of my knowledge of between 25 and 30m. As this is just the extent of the HMRC debt an arrangement will have to have been made to clear the total debt. Just forgiving 20 m in tax debt at HMRC is really not an option. 

MM taking a personal substantial hit is pretty much the only thing that can save the club at this point..I simply cannot see anyone buying the name of Derby County for bucket loads of money and then being in hock to a stadium owner who is viewed by the EFL at least as DODGY! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, REDOXO said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-administration-mp-update-6571795

An area MP making a few things clear

1 Derby has massive debts

2 The possible Wycombe/Middlesbrough proportion of the final total amount of debt is not that big

3 The EFL are not in a position to proceed with their duty until there is a preferred bidder which there is not  

4 Mel Morris and the ground ownership is an issue

It has been mentioned that three bidders have met the asking price by Derby supporters, this is clearly not the case as the combined debt is the asking price plus how that plays into stadium ownership.

It seems there have been three bids, to the best of my knowledge of between 25 and 30m. As this is just the extent of the HMRC debt an arrangement will have to have been made to clear the total debt. Just forgiving 20 m in tax debt at HMRC is really not an option. 

MM taking a personal substantial hit is pretty much the only thing that can save the club at this point..I simply cannot see anyone buying the name of Derby County for bucket loads of money and then being in hock to a stadium owner who is viewed by the EFL at least as DODGY! 

As has been stated many times... non of the interested parties will commit without knowing the full cost (they need to know what Boro and Wycombe will be owed, if anything). No PB can be announced until those claims are dealt with.

The debt owed may be £60m+, but only c£28m needs to be repaid (plus MFC/WWFC). Agreement is in place with HMRC for 25% pending the result of MFC/WWFC arbitration.

MM has said he will "not seek any recovery from the sale of the stadium". Debts owed to him will be written off.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the two claims ARE what's blocking Derby from coming out of administration.

32 minutes ago, AnotherDerbyFan said:

MM has said he will "not seek any recovery from the sale of the stadium". Debts owed to him will be written off.

I'd say mmmmmmm.

Is that before or after he took the £75 million owed to the football club for the stadium?

33 minutes ago, AnotherDerbyFan said:

As has been stated many times... non of the interested parties will commit without knowing the full cost (they need to know what Boro and Wycombe will be owed, if anything). No PB can be announced until those claims are dealt with.

The debt owed may be £60m+, but only c£28m needs to be repaid (plus MFC/WWFC). Agreement is in place with HMRC for 25% pending the result of MFC/WWFC arbitration.

Whether you want to believe it or not, the two claims ARE what's blocking Derby from coming out of administration.

Is that 25% and the rest as a payment plan?

• Like 2