IGNORED

Derby County

havanatopia

22 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Surely this was their last/best hope, unless there is some "mystery" buyer hiding in the wings.

Sounds like a "fire sale" and liquidation doesn't it ?

It’s all falling into place. Wael buys Derby once the sale of the Memorial Stadium has gone through and Mike Ashley buys Rovers. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Just having a quick scan of their forum and they seem to think they know who the successful bidder will now be.

They have serious concerns that this person/people only use one agent - one beginning with W.

Don't know why they should be concerned with that I mean it's Derby County who wouldn't want to play for them?

Valverde, Laporte, Aouar, Stones, McKenna all signed with the agent being with W they'll be in the Derby county lineup next season!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Reading on their forum that HMRC will only accept a long term repayment arrangement (more than two years) if 35% of the debt is paid at the start.

Any of you tax bods know if that is indeed the case?

From what I’ve read on here, payment plans are accepted.

10 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

HMRC will only accept a long term repayment arrangement (more than two years) if 35% of the debt is paid at the start.

For a smallish PAYE business like Derby County it will all depend upon the facts.  There are no hard and fast rules other than HMRC want the money.

For any payment plan of this size they will demand detailed cash flows, draft accounts and a host of other details.  HMRC will also want to know why the money wasn't paid previously (there was a winding up order in January 2020) and how it all fits in with the Administration.

As HMRC are third in line for cash after the Administrators and MSD there is absolutely no reason why they should waive their preferential status.  They could just say "pay us before you pay the remaining unsecured creditors (including football creditors)." Which could drop another 15 point penalty onto Derby if the EFL rules on Football Creditors are breached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piece in today's Times- refers to levelling up and football clubs- example provided is Derby County!?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-club-survival-should-be-a-levelling-up-goal-fans-tell-the-pm-rzrtwxhfd

Behind a paywall but I wonder how many of these Derby fans expressed misgivings when Mel 'had the EFL on strings'. I don't wish them bust but they need to suffer the consequences of their actions too- ideally that would constitute a firesale, an EFL business plan and of course relegation this season.

Frayne’s consultancy, Public First, conducted two focus groups this month for The Times in Derby with fans of Derby County. The club was one of the 12 founder members of the Football League but is now in administration and at risk of liquidation.

The East Midlands city has two constituencies, one an ultra-marginal seat gained by the Conservatives in 2019; the other held by Labour’s Dame Margaret Beckett since 1983, but with a diminished majority at the last election.

The participants in the focus groups saw the survival of their club as a vital component of the civic pride that Johnson wants to sit at the core of levelling up. “It’s 100 per cent integral to the city,” one participant, James, said.

Few of the 12 participants knew much about levelling up. One, Phil, believed it was about rebalancing the north against the south, a characterisation that would annoy some southern Conservatives. Once the concept was explained to them, several believed that the prospect of Derby County folding was a levelling-up question. “It shouldn’t have been allowed to get this far in the first place,” Dave said.

Levelling up, to the focus group participants, seemed to be mostly a question of pride in their local area. “Yes, [Derby] does want levelling up, and the money should be spent on improving the city centre,” Phil said.

Last month a review chaired by the Conservative MP Tracey Crouch called for an independent regulator to oversee a tougher fit and proper persons test for potential new owners of football clubs.

Almost nobody in the groups had heard of Crouch’s review, but there was broad backing for its aims once they were explained. “If things had been dealt with differently [at Derby County], we wouldn’t be in the whole situation,” Hannah said.

Sounds convenient- bit like clutching onto a passing lifeboat, converts to the cause. very Johnny Come Lately.

Sceptical about some of their points- they only seem to be committed because the gambling went wrong, the fact that almost nobody in the group had heard of the Crouch review at starting point.

"Dealt with differently" can also mean different things- some follow up questions on what they meant or thought they meant would have also been good. Perhaps they thought that the EFL should not have launched investigations into the stadium sale, which in turn led onto the amortisation issue and not challenged them on this point- perhaps this is what they meant by dealt with differently- that's why follow-up questions would be good.

Granted this is only 12 people. I do have some sympathy with the message about football clubs and pride in the area- they all have good Community Trusts as well, but I dunno some aspects of these answers seem a bit superficial or simple on face value- especially the bits about not having heard of the Crouch Review but then on explanation saying that it'd have solved Derby's issues.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

An update on the Derby points position at the beginning of 2022, and a 2:2 draw at Reading.

As regards Derby -

With 32 (gross) points from 25 games, which would put them in 14th place. that gives them a generous season total with no deduction of 59 points.  That would see them survive in all of the last 10 seasons. 

With the 21 point deduction a net score of 38 that would see them relegated in all of the last 10 seasons, that is after 10 points in the last 4 games,

Reading, in 21st place (after a six point deduction), are on target for a gross points score of 56 points, with a net of 50 points.

However Cardiff and Hull in 19th and 20th place are currently on target for an ungenerous 44 points.  This simply demonstrates the nearly impossible position Derby are in.

Based on the current performances Derby need 33 points from 21 games, which is the same performance as Huddersfield in sixth have achieved so far.

So after a good fortnight on the pitch the position is still dire.

Off the pitch the 'imminent' announcement of the preferred bidder as detailed by the Administrators is still to happen. My understanding is that all the bidders end up with the football club failing to meet the requirement to pay unsecured non-football creditors 25% of their debt immediately (or 35% in three years) therefore Derby will suffer a 15 point deduction next year.

Oh and the Transfer Window is open, I understand that at the very least Buchanan and Lawrence will be sold.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

What is Cardiff's position regarding FFP, I can't remember them being mentioned.

I imagine not great going off comments from their chairmen a few weeks back regarding the transfer window. He alluded to not having money to spend. I was under the impression that this is their last season of parachute payments too?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

What is Cardiff's position regarding FFP, I can't remember them being mentioned.

They’ve just finished their 2 seasons of PPs, they only got 2 seasons as they went up and down.

Their 2 seasons reported (2018/19 and 2019/20) look okay and they looked to be tightening their belts (which could give their owner Vincent Tan nasty nipple rash ?) and  making sensible signings in terms of realising their position.

So I doubt they will have issues.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, cider11 said:

"Former Newcastle owner Mike Ashley is preparing a formal £50m offer to buy Derby County. Ashley has been in advanced talks with Derby's administrators in the last 48 hours - his bid would be the largest received so far by Derby's administrators, Quantuma."

If 50m is the biggest bid so far then no one so far has been offering to stump up much in the way of coverage for stuff like Wycombe/Boro's claims. Kirchner really was all fart and no brown stuff wasn't he.

48 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

If 50m is the biggest bid so far

Allegedly beats the other bid by £20 million, which was better than Kirchner's.

It still won't be enough to guarantee that Derby won't get at least a 15 point penalty next season.  If the £50 million includes Pride Park then Unsecured Creditors (including football creditors) could get nothing.  If Pride Park is in addition it is close.

The latter would mean Ashley paying £70 million.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 211129.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Hxj said:

Allegedly beats the other bid by £20 million, which was better than Kirchner's.

It still won't be enough to guarantee that Derby won't get at least a 15 point penalty next season.  If the £50 million includes Pride Park then Unsecured Creditors (including football creditors) could get nothing.  If Pride Park is in addition it is close.

The latter would mean Ashley paying £70 million.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 211129.png

My reading of the Sky report was that the £50m was for the Club only. It suggested that if successful there, then Ashley would approach Morris/MSD about buying the stadium separately. 

34 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It suggested that if successful there, then Ashley would approach Morris/MSD about buying the stadium separately. 

Trouble is Administrations don't really work like that.  MSD are entitled to the first £20 odd million in respect of the football club, and there is no guarantee that Ashley and Morris/MSD can go on and agree a deal on Pride Park, which I believe the annual rental is about £1.1 million a year on a long lease for restricted use.  I'd be happier paying that rent than paying out for the stadium, and I bet Ashley would as well!

Edited by Hxj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1