IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

• The title was changed to Matty James - linked in Bristol Post
2 minutes ago, Bobbie said:

His injury record fills me with dread 

In the season just ended he played 39 games, we have about 2 outfield players left on our books who managed that..

I’ll trust Pearson & Rennie on this one.

This would be a very good signing, IMO. He's exactly the sort of leader we've been lacking in the spine of the team. Plus he's proved over his injuries after playing almost every game in the most hectic of seasons just gone. At 29, he should also be in his prime.

This would make sense on a two-year deal, with the option of a third.  

He's not a player I've seen a great deal of. The impression I get from what little I have seen is that he's a similar style of player to Cole Skuse or Marlon Pack. Defensively minded, reliable, good range of passing and a good influence to have around the club. 

Is that a fair comparison?

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He's not a player I've seen a great deal of. The impression I get from what little I have seen is that he's a similar style of player to Cole Skuse or Marlon Pack. Defensively minded, reliable, good range of passing and a good influence to have around the club. 

Completely, a bloke who keeps things ticking over, wins the ball & uses it smartly.

If we sign him I’d expect him to be captain.

4 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Completely, a bloke who keeps things ticking over, wins the ball & uses it smartly.

I think he'd be a good addition then. We've missed that style of player since Pack left. 29 is a good age for a centre midfielder also. 

I get the impression Pearson rates Massengo very highly, so it's possible his aim is to supplement the midfield with some experience and reliability to help him shine. 

Injury record prior to last season aside, I don't think there's too much downside to signing him. A known quantity to the manager who's experienced at this level and the level above. Should sit well with what is an otherwise fairly callow midfield

Exactly what we need in my opinion. Just a solid centre midfielder. Him and Williams pairing sounds promising. Players that put in a tackle and can also get around the pitch. 

Him and Atkinson early in the window and things will start to look postive. Still feel like we need to add a couple goals to the side

7 minutes ago, Rocky said:

What about Danny Drinkwater, on loan abroad at the moment I believe. 

Also, Chelsea contract expires this summer. 

On huge wages apparently so would need to take an enormous pay cut to come here. I can't see it personally. Surely would be able to get better money in the MLS or somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, RedNachos said:

This was the sort of reaction to Brunt rumours I believe. Remember him at Leicster, but wouldn't fancy more than a 2 year deal at nearly 30.

It's pretty naïve to suggest that just because Brunt (at 35) didn't work out, that Matty James (29) won't. The only parallel between the two is that they are midfield players with Prem experience. Apart from that it's an incredibly lazy comparison. 

It's the same sort of flawed logic people apply to signing players from lower leagues, continental Europe or Scotland. The answer is and always will be the same, it's down to us to get the scouting right and ensure he's someone that would improve us. 

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I would have thought Andy King is also under consideration. 

Hardly played in the last 2 years, minimal appearances a season ago at Huddersfield & this season (like Benkovic) is another who has completely gone missing at OH Leuven.

Think he is far less likely as a result of this.

28 minutes ago, Rocky said:

What about Danny Drinkwater, on loan abroad at the moment I believe. 

Also, Chelsea contract expires this summer. 

He's clearly got a poor attitude if he can start a brawl in an under 23s fixture and would be on huge wages. Best left alone.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If I think of the Pack pre 18/19 who moved up the pitch with the ball when appropriate, rather than the Pack who sat in front of the back four and never moved away, then James is that player.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yep, more mobile than Lansbury.  Not just a “sitter”.

Obligatory charts.

455B8824-DC9E-40AF-97D6-DF05E4302549.thumb.jpeg.b9823e541fa54fadd07a96a14f7af491.jpeg

Season 20/21 passing map ⬇️⬇️⬇️

7B79832A-5963-446A-9889-17CD65B1101B.jpeg.cb034966a7d9d4953f025c3bafce958b.jpeg
283DA068-27AE-482E-9D0C-7987A3D24966.thumb.jpeg.761ce1e17d257e385e011265aa393e6a.jpeg

Above average passer (general passing)

142006B1-6D40-483E-BC13-0FBBDB89277D.thumb.jpeg.1ed0d87ea60fdd4e114dcf9cb61835b3.jpeg

Above average on the creative stuff.  Good set piece delivery.

6BC9D9BA-F832-400B-9B0D-9DFD941CB439.thumb.jpeg.3aaf63acadb03ff9b19186add34d7c13.jpeg

Not overly combative.

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Matty James has had some career https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/08/matty-james-pain-remember-rest-of-life-leicester-city-interview

However, He wasnt that good when at PNE (Darren/Alex Ferguson shenanigans a plenty) mind, he was just starting out

and I'm not keen on repeating a 'managerial' dynasty by signing all old Leicester players, because they have played for NP or Leicester or both before. 

Had a decent season this time, but I'm concerned it's not about the future and more about getting 'the band' back together, which does not sit well with me. 

Will see what happens

Fair comments….Lansbury or James though. ???

5 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Matty James has had some career https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/08/matty-james-pain-remember-rest-of-life-leicester-city-interview

However, He wasnt that good when at PNE (Darren/Alex Ferguson shenanigans a plenty) mind, he was just starting out

and I'm not keen on repeating a 'managerial' dynasty by signing all old Leicester players, because they have played for NP or Leicester or both before. 

Had a decent season this time, but I'm concerned it's not about the future and more about getting 'the band' back together, which does not sit well with me. 

Will see what happens

Signing former players isn't something unique to us under Pearson though. Gary Johnson did it very effectively with a fair few players he'd managed at Yeovil.

Another parallel is Cotterill signing Wade Elliot. 

It can be a very savvy thing to do. I know you're not a fan of Simpson, but I suspect that's what Pearson was doing with that signing also. He wants people he knows and trusts in the dressing room. 

1 minute ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's something we as a club were meant to be getting away from, 'jobs for the boys' etc as if it doesnt work out we end up with McInnes team of well, yeah, or GJ's end team of well, yeah,  them.   So I am not for that on the grounds of principle tbh and was not suggesting it was only NP who has done this or is unique to him.  

As mentioned, will see what happens. 

That ignores the multiple times it has worked though, and just assumes that any signing of this nature is a 'job for the boys'.

Is that really true of McInnes though? I don't remember any players off the top of my head coming here that he'd previously managed. 

Gary Johnson bought in Jevons, McIndoe, Gavin Williams, Fontaine, Lee Johnson who he'd managed at Yeovil - all of them did well for us to relative degrees and were good value for money. 

Of course it doesn't always work out - but I don't think historically this has been a huge issue for us.

Sounds a good option on a free. My only reservation is, say we play a 442 or 4231 for most the season, that's only two midfield roles. Could Matty James block the development of Han-Noah and Tyreeq if he's paired with Williams? And where would that leave Nagy?

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That ignores the multiple times it has worked though, and just assumes that any signing of this nature is a 'job for the boys'.

Is that really true of McInnes though? I don't remember any players off the top of my head coming here that he'd previously managed. 

Gary Johnson bought in Jevons, McIndoe, Gavin Williams, Fontaine, Lee Johnson who he'd managed at Yeovil - all of them did well for us to relative degrees and were good value for money. 

Of course it doesn't always work out - but I don't think historically this has been a huge issue for us.

Just Jody Morris, which seeing as he only ever started 2 games for us, wasn’t exactly like filling the side with his former players.

NP is going to want voices in the dressing room, that can say to the rest "look trust him, he did this before" and leaders will bring the rest along.  This is a good option as he has just completed a season in Championship. 

Wages shouldn't be an issue, especially if the comparative option is Coventry, Location probably gives them the edge.

Archived