IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

16 minutes ago, Scare_Man said:

Think you highlighted the wrong bit there - injury problems!

We've got to remember all of his injury problems would have been managed by Dave Rennie (our highly regarded new head of medical performance, ex-Leicester) so no one will know more about his recovery than him. If Dave gives him the green light fitness wise then that's good enough for me............

Well if Weimann, James and Simpson are signed on, that's NP's generals in the squad, alongside Bentley and perhaps Martin. They will be there to keep order, keep calm and demand more (and hopefully play football too). 

1 hour ago, WirralRobin said:

We've got to remember all of his injury problems would have been managed by Dave Rennie (our highly regarded new head of medical performance, ex-Leicester) so no one will know more about his recovery than him. If Dave gives him the green light fitness wise then that's good enough for me............

I was just being a touch facetious

On 25/05/2021 at 10:21, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

It's something we as a club were meant to be getting away from, 'jobs for the boys' etc as if it doesnt work out we end up with McInnes team of well, yeah, or GJ's end team of well, yeah,  them.   So I am not for that on the grounds of principle tbh and was not suggesting it was only NP who has done this or is unique to him.  

As mentioned, will see what happens. 

That is the danger with any manager having too much influence over signings.   Until we have a DoF this is what we will to live with in the short term.  

1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

That is the danger with any manager having too much influence over signings.   Until we have a DoF this is what we will to live with in the short term.  

But do you not think that the answer to the longer term problem, is maybe a shorter term one?

We have a lot of squad to fill, and personally if the answer to the immediate issue is a few older more experienced players, especially ones that our manager has worked with before, means that he can get his philosophy and ideas into the club quicker, then maybe it's something to work with.

Yes the likes of Simpson and King will have little/no resale value (if they sign), but we can't afford to go into next season playing younger players like last season who aren't quite ready yet. Along the same lines, if we buy relegated Champ and League 1/2  players, then we're going down next season.

Yes in an ideal world, we buy like Brentford, mold the players into top half players that are the envy of the league. Chances of that working in one summer is extremely unlikely.

The playing side of things is not great, and the backroom side of things is also a work in progress.

We need stability this coming year, and if that means 2 or 3 "trusted players" and 2 or 3 promising ones can get us midtable or better, then it's a good season.

We are in the middle of a huge rebuilding period. Rome wasn't built in a day.

41 minutes ago, Taz said:

But do you not think that the answer to the longer term problem, is maybe a shorter term one?

We have a lot of squad to fill, and personally if the answer to the immediate issue is a few older more experienced players, especially ones that our manager has worked with before, means that he can get his philosophy and ideas into the club quicker, then maybe it's something to work with.

Yes the likes of Simpson and King will have little/no resale value (if they sign), but we can't afford to go into next season playing younger players like last season who aren't quite ready yet. Along the same lines, if we buy relegated Champ and League 1/2  players, then we're going down next season.

Yes in an ideal world, we buy like Brentford, mold the players into top half players that are the envy of the league. Chances of that working in one summer is extremely unlikely.

The playing side of things is not great, and the backroom side of things is also a work in progress.

We need stability this coming year, and if that means 2 or 3 "trusted players" and 2 or 3 promising ones can get us midtable or better, then it's a good season.

Agree….think it’s one to reflect on at the end of the window and see what the balance is.

There’s a reason why there’s a correlation between free / OOC and being older and on the flip side the younger players are under contract and require a fee….and that’s because that’s the way the market has panned out.

When you look at the Championship players released, the majority are late 20s, early 30s.  Finding quality in the 24-26 range was difficult.  You were looking at Mowatt and Fletcher types….wanted by clubs higher up the pecking order no doubt (not sure if Fletcher and Watford has been confirmed).

So if Nige needs to pick up a couple from the older group who he knows then fine.  And if the younger ones, if they happen to be Leicester-linked like Dewsbury-Hall then so-what (or even Sowah!!!).  Not everyone who’s been linked is a Pearson connection….Smith, Lees, Atkinson, Douglas.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree….think it’s one to reflect on at the end of the window and see what the balance is.

There’s a reason why there’s a correlation between free / OOC and being older and on the flip side the younger players are under contract and require a fee….and that’s because that’s the way the market has panned out.

When you look at the Championship players released, the majority are late 20s, early 30s.  Finding quality in the 24-26 range was difficult.  You were looking at Mowatt and Fletcher types….wanted by clubs higher up the pecking order no doubt (not sure if Fletcher and Watford has been confirmed).

So if Nige needs to pick up a couple from the older group who he knows then fine.  And if the younger ones, if they happen to be Leicester-linked like Dewsbury-Hall then so-what (or even Sowah!!!).  Not everyone who’s been linked is a Pearson connection….Smith, Lees, Atkinson, Douglas.

Agree completely. 

People need to seriously manage their expectations this summer.

Pearson has openly stated 5 key signings - as a minimum - and then maybe fill the squad with some loans. 

5 key signings, but all need to be good enough to come in and seriously improve the first team. If we're buying 5 key signings, then we're talking a lot of money. 

As you say with the bloated market of ooc players, there are good signings there that would immediately improve us. If that means they're on a 1, maybe 2 year deal, and then we reassess in a year, then so be it. We definitely won't be the only club doing similar this season/next.

6 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Given how the latest stories seem to surround King, I'm slightly concerned James isn't on our horizons anymore.

Whilst the market is very uncertain for clubs it is equally complicated for players looking for new ones. 

This is where his  agent earns his corn .A player won’t want to commit to 10,000£ a week then find he could have got 20,000£ elsewhere.

Equally a club won’t want to be signing players on 20k a week when they could have got them on half that.

I think that most business, more than ever , is going to happen at the tail end of the window.

14 hours ago, Red Skin said:

I have thought for a long time that this would be the way to go. I was speaking to somebody in the Bears camp on Saturday and discussing this!  This is the setup they have it means that even if you change manager their is on wild swing to get rid of players and big influx of players. 

We just need SL to go this way. 

50 minutes ago, redsapper said:

I have thought for a long time that this would be the way to go. I was speaking to somebody in the Bears camp on Saturday and discussing this!  This is the setup they have it means that even if you change manager their is no wild swing to get rid of players and big influx of players. 

We just need SL to go this way. 

@redsapper

Did I correct this correctly? I have a Bears ST so interested if you are able to clarify their set up with recruitment. 

I assume Tainton, Lam and the coaches have set the playing style and therefore any incoming players must fit the system. Changes to the system are therefore very carefully thought out and/or introduced.

Do you have any more info?

That is how we should have been doing things at City. But with Ashton bringing in his punts for a quick profit sale, and LJ adding more "clubs in the bag", plus a very high percentage of Academy out on loan, it spiralled out of control. 

Then introduce Covid and it is clear to me that most Clubs at Championship and below realised it was sensible to reduce both numbers and wage levels. Those without bloated squads didn't need to offload like us but they sure hell will try their best to reduce salary levels.

It may not have been planned but could prove a blessing in disguise for Pearson.

I think Lam sets the playing style listening to a good interview with Dave Attwood last week. But they have just appointed a Recruitment manager. His role as you rightly suggest is to scour the rugby world for players who will fit in with the Bears ethos and playing style. Both young and upcoming players, late developers, ones that might have been overlooked. And provide options for Pat Lam and the coaches.Allowing them to get on with coaching.

16 hours ago, Taz said:

I agree it may well be the right strategy for where we find ourselves, but there are risks associated with it.   You could still have a shite DoF that signs dross so that's no guarantee either.   

Thinking more strategically, I still think a DoF set up is the right model.  I'm comfortable they aren't rushing into appointing just anyone right now, and waiting to make the right appointment. 

On 21/06/2021 at 18:39, Red Skin said:

Out of interest, why is it a bad thing for the manager to have influence over signings, and not the DoF (or CEO)? Any of those may sign old contacts - and that is not necessarily a bad thing if they trust them to be good for the squad.

Archived