IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

4 minutes ago, tin said:

I think this is a great signing. Excellent experience, a proper leader, proper midfielder, in his prime. Captain material. 

That sounds good, what we’ve been missing for a decade or more

Even better, it seems we now we have a proper manager who has quickly identified our (many) weaknesses and is sorting them. Bravo Big Nige.

COYRs.

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone know why he has played so little football in his career? 

155 (30) appearances in 11 years, so averaging about 16 appearances a season?

This is what initially concerned me.. he appears to have had a pretty suspect injury record over the years but like any new signing i will trust Nigel’s judgement. 

21 minutes ago, bcdc said:

With my last post there, I’ve just ‘achieved’ the Collaborator badge.  Bit of a dodgy moniker,that,  not quite sure I’m altogether pleased with that. 

Whoo hoo! Just 15 minds after getting stuck with being a ‘ Collaborator’, I’ve been reclassified as ‘Very Popular’.

I’d like to thank my parents, my son, my partner (xxx Sarah) and all the little people out there who have contributed to my popularity. I remain, as ever, very,very humble. 

16 minutes ago, SBB said:

Will we be paying him £20k pw like the Coventry fans seem to think, or is that just to make themselves feel better about missing out?

I’d be surprised but I wouldn’t totally rule it out.. he signs as a free agent so no outlay there and remember a significant amount of high earners have now gone so a substantial amount of £ would have been freed up. All that considered wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility that we have offered him £20k pw to be fair..

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

I’d be surprised but I wouldn’t totally rule it out.. he signs as a free agent so no outlay there and remember a significant amount of high earners have now gone so a substantial amount of £ would have been freed up. All that considered wouldn’t be beyond the realms of possibility that we have offered him £20k pw to be fair..

Or the equivalent of £20k pw for 2 years spread over 3. Extra year security for him. 

I don't know mind, just pure speculation.

3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Typically City will negotiate a high signing on bonus to keep players within some kind of wage structure. Not sure about this time but I would think that is likely

Feel this is a good signing, leadership, not bad technically, experience- and indeed some goals. Scored some goals for Coventry IIRC. Scored 3 in half a season for them, if we extrapolate and his fitness, form are good then he could maybe be someone who can chip in 5-10 goals from midfield over a season would ease some pressure- not really had that since Brownhill (yes I know, Weimann and Paterson but thinking true CMs).

Good first signing. This is the first of the 5, before loans etc that NP was referring to?

Welcome Matty!

43 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Brilliant signing. 

I said we should have gone for him on loan after we sold Brownhill. But to be fair he'd not long been back fit from a long injury.

Now having completed a season in the championship with Barnsley and Coventry, and with Nige here and Matty's contract running out, perfect timing ?

I think we have missed that Brownhill or Korey type in having someone reliable and consistent in the middle of the park.

Joe Williams will give us that too but just needs to stay fit. I think that will be the partnership. Maybe with Massengo more advanced.

Yepp, it feels like quite a solid signing. Reliability and consistency feel two very appropriate words. From what I've read, he also has more technical ability than some are giving him credit for.

I'm also open to the idea of James and Williams in a 2, with Massengo slightly more advanced (e.g. in a 4-2-3-1). Feels like James and Williams would give us a really solid foundation both to protect the back 4 and to start moving the ball forward. Perhaps a lot of responsibility on Massengo, but I have faith in him. He has the technical ability, I believe he plays that role for France, and it's not like we have many other options in there!

It would certainly be a very hard working, high energy, Pearson-esque trio. 

1 hour ago, Betty Swallocks said:

No chance of us paying him £20k p/w, someone’s just made that up. 

Pearson made it abundantly clear we are cutting our wage bill, not a chance we are paying him that sort of wages.

1 hour ago, SBB said:

Will we be paying him £20k pw like the Coventry fans seem to think, or is that just to make themselves feel better about missing out?

Reminds me of when we had Matt Smith in L1 when he was slaying, I remember seeing on other fan forums saying "That's what 30k a week gets you" when he scored against them. Absolutely ridiculous to think we'd pay that then.

Chatting out their arse

34 minutes ago, SBB said:

32 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Not in these covid times no

32 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Seriously doubt that. Probably a figure made up to make themselves feel better.

18 minutes ago, bris red said:

14 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

No chance of us paying him £20k p/w, someone’s just made that up. 

I think there is absolutely every likelihood that he’s on at least £20k pw. 
His previous contract at Leicester was certainly in excess of £30k pw. 
Given there was interest from Swansea and Cardiff, both who pay more than us, it’s highly likely we’ve had to go in pretty high. 
Yes, the prior links with Pearson will have helped, but ultimately the player and agent would still head to the highest payers, so we’d have likely had to go in pretty high and very close to the offers from the other teams. 
I think £20k pw is likely the minimum he’s on. 

That said, I don’t mind that. He’s a player who is worth it. What I take umbrage with is paying the likes of (insert numerous names here who are average footballers) that sort of salary!! 

25 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think there is absolutely every likelihood that he’s on at least £20k pw. 
His previous contract at Leicester was certainly in excess of £30k pw. 
Given there was interest from Swansea and Cardiff, both who pay more than us, it’s highly likely we’ve had to go in pretty high. 
Yes, the prior links with Pearson will have helped, but ultimately the player and agent would still head to the highest payers, so we’d have likely had to go in pretty high and very close to the offers from the other teams. 
I think £20k pw is likely the minimum he’s on. 

That said, I don’t mind that. He’s a player who is worth it. What I take umbrage with is paying the likes of (insert numerous names here who are average footballers) that sort of salary!! 

I agree, I can absolutely see us paying that but is it not conflicting with Pearson’s comments on the wage structure, parity and lowering it?

10 minutes ago, SBB said:

I agree, I can absolutely see us paying that but is it not conflicting with Pearson’s comments on the wage structure, parity and lowering it?

Wage bill will definitely lower given what we’ve managed to get rid of this summer. Probably something like 40% off the bill! 
Re parity. £20k for James is fine. You’ll likely find Kalas & Wells are on +£20k, with the likes of Nagy, Palmer, Weimann, Williams, O’Dowda, Bentley on between £12-20k. 
I’m happy to bring someone of James’ quality in on a higher than average salary. It’s just important we don’t pay the sorts of salaries we already are to the likes of O’Dowda, Palmer and the like! 

Archived