IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

12 minutes ago, SBB said:

I agree, I can absolutely see us paying that but is it not conflicting with Pearson’s comments on the wage structure, parity and lowering it?

Surely what matters is the overall budget- no million pound transfer fee, which frees up a fair bit for wages instead.

Great signing, the last decade has seen teams walk straight through our midfield, thank god it’s been addressed, credit to Dean Holden for signing Williams for the same reason. 

We know NP will demand a strong work ethic from the whole team so I think we might actually enjoy watching us again this year. I can see the midfield shaping up nicely now 

Williams James

Wiemann       Massengo?      O’Dowda

I predict a big season for Callum this year 

3 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone know why he has played so little football in his career? 

155 (30) appearances in 11 years, so averaging about 16 appearances a season?

Hearts not really in it.

Win or lose, he’s on the booze!

5 hours ago, Leveller said:

Out of interest, why is it a bad thing for the manager to have influence over signings, and not the DoF (or CEO)? Any of those may sign old contacts - and that is not necessarily a bad thing if they trust them to be good for the squad.

It's a problem when managers have too great an influence.   They want to overhaul an existing squad when they come in to fit with how they want to play and when they leave - sacked or poached - the new manager wants his own players to fit with how he wants to play.   You end up with bloated squads with players that the currents manager doesn't want or need.

An extreme and very unlikely scenario, but Pep Guardiola taking over from Pulis at a club isn't gonna be able to play the sort of style of football he wants with a squad full of Pulis signings.  For a year or two you have disgruntled and disinterested Pulis players rattling around the place.

The club should set the football philosophy which a technical director o DoF recruits players to fit with.   All levels within the club reflect that philosophy and playing style.   You then recruit a first team coach that will work within the philosophy to get the best out of the players.

If the incumbent manager is coaching according to the philosophy of the club i.e. the way you want to play then no issue with him having some say with which particular players come in.   They should be on the same pages as the DoF anyway.

The club needs to decide on its identity and if we want Pulis or Pep football and recruit accordingly.

That's my take on it anyway.

2 hours ago, Red Skin said:

It's a problem when managers have too great an influence.   They want to overhaul an existing squad when they come in to fit with how they want to play and when they leave - sacked or poached - the new manager wants his own players to fit with how he wants to play.   You end up with bloated squads with players that the currents manager doesn't want or need.

An extreme and very unlikely scenario, but Pep Guardiola taking over from Pulis at a club isn't gonna be able to play the sort of style of football he wants with a squad full of Pulis signings.  For a year or two you have disgruntled and disinterested Pulis players rattling around the place.

The club should set the football philosophy which a technical director o DoF recruits players to fit with.   All levels within the club reflect that philosophy and playing style.   You then recruit a first team coach that will work within the philosophy to get the best out of the players.

If the incumbent manager is coaching according to the philosophy of the club i.e. the way you want to play then no issue with him having some say with which particular players come in.   They should be on the same pages as the DoF anyway.

The club needs to decide on its identity and if we want Pulis or Pep football and recruit accordingly.

That's my take on it anyway.

I cant agree with this at all,

The problem we've had is that the manager had next to no influence in the players we brought in, and look where it got us, mid table mediocrity and an odd cup run followed up the the absolute worst squad we've ever had in the championship which were lucky to stay up,

Sorry but given a vastly experience manager a little more influence, is only a good thing

50 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I cant agree with this at all,

The problem we've had is that the manager had next to no influence in the players we brought in, and look where it got us, mid table mediocrity and an odd cup run followed up the the absolute worst squad we've ever had in the championship which were lucky to stay up,

Sorry but given a vastly experience manager a little more influence, is only a good thing

Fair enough if you don't agree.

The problem has been that Mark Ashton wasn't a DoF or Technical director.   He was CEO who seemed to be motivated (or incentivised) to make a profit on players rather to build a squad capable of winning promotion. 

As I said in a previous reply having NP have more influence is probably fine for where we are.   I just don't think it's right for the long term future of the club.  You cannot entrust any manager  - who by the nature of the role is only ever a short term appointment - with the long term strategy of the club.  The DoF needs to be a long term custodian of the club's footballing vision.

I would look to a club like Swansea who had to drop to the fourth tier to decide they needed to define their identity and recruit coaches to implement it.  Which has led to some very interesting and successful appointments, not least the current manager Steve Cooper and the previous one Graham Potter.  Both quite leftfield and recruited to fit with Swansea's philosophy.

The alternative is to lurch from one manager to another hoping each will be the Messiah.  

7 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Anyone know why he has played so little football in his career? 

155 (30) appearances in 11 years, so averaging about 16 appearances a season?

He’s had rotten luck with injuries. Did his ACL at the end of 14/15 season, then his miniscus in his first reserve game back, then something happened with the ACL repair that needed sorting, then he ends up with a kidney stone that turns into an infection. He should have left on loan that summer (16/17) but Ranieri decided not to but didn’t play him. Went to Barnsley for half a season, came back and was in the plans, then does his Achilles at the start of 17/18 and basically had problems with it until the start of last season. 

2 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

He’s had rotten luck with injuries. Did his ACL at the end of 14/15 season, then his miniscus in his first reserve game back, then something happened with the ACL repair that needed sorting, then he ends up with a kidney stone that turns into an infection. He should have left on loan that summer (16/17) but Ranieri decided not to but didn’t play him. Went to Barnsley for half a season, came back and was in the plans, then does his Achilles at the start of 17/18 and basically had problems with it until the start of last season. 

Sounds like he’s ‘one of our own’ already. 

10 minutes ago, Ostrich said:

Who the fitness and conditioning team at the time?  Hope he has better staff looking after him now!  ?

Welcome Matty.  

What I'd hope from this signing, with an experienced Championship head having just been signed, that we tick that box and move on, provides anything King has and more, pleased with this signing, let's now look south of 29 and build for both now and the future, not just now. Not confident he'll be the oldest signing this summer.

1 minute ago, RedNachos said:

What I'd hope from this signing, with an experienced Championship head having just been signed, that we tick that box and move on, provides anything King has and more, pleased with this signing, let's now look south of 29 and build for both now and the future, not just now. Not confident he'll be the oldest signing this summer.

I'm worried about the age profile of the squad. 

5 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Palmer was on £110k a month at Chelsea 

If that is true then it might explain why you get one game out of five from him. Nigel may not have fully sunk in yet. I hope for everyone's sake he has or will very quickly and understands those days are either over or will not return unless he is a consistently high rating performer and Premier league comes in for him.

Glad to see James' arrival. An undoubted talent and as others have said we have not had that type of player since Wade Elliott?... Williams maybe but we are yet to be blessed in seeing him. Well done City.

7 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Fair enough if you don't agree.

The problem has been that Mark Ashton wasn't a DoF or Technical director.   He was CEO who seemed to be motivated (or incentivised) to make a profit on players rather to build a squad capable of winning promotion. 

As I said in a previous reply having NP have more influence is probably fine for where we are.   I just don't think it's right for the long term future of the club.  You cannot entrust any manager  - who by the nature of the role is only ever a short term appointment - with the long term strategy of the club.  The DoF needs to be a long term custodian of the club's footballing vision.

I would look to a club like Swansea who had to drop to the fourth tier to decide they needed to define their identity and recruit coaches to implement it.  Which has led to some very interesting and successful appointments, not least the current manager Steve Cooper and the previous one Graham Potter.  Both quite leftfield and recruited to fit with Swansea's philosophy.

The alternative is to lurch from one manager to another hoping each will be the Messiah.  

We are basically starting again as previous strategies haven’t worked . Pearson said it will take up to four windows to get a promotion pushing squad who’s to say if the club haven’t sat down with Pearson and agreed the way forward and implement a style that can be carried on after Pearson. Let’s be fair has the last five years left us with anything. Never knew what formation or players would be implemented under Johnson certainly wasn’t anything to carry forward or a style or system to play so a change now . 1st job stop the rot .long term style and philosophy don’t think all this can be done at once . Wouldn’t complain if the blueprint used at Leicester was put in place . Steadying of the ship 1st priority short term fix for long term gain I hope time will tell . We don’t no what Landsdown and Pearson have agreed. But to assume that long term goals are not in place and criticising the recruitment before a balls been kicked is a bit premature 

12 minutes ago, One Team said:

Listening to his interview I wonder if he will be captain?

I’d imagine the armband is up for grabs to be honest, i get a feeling Pearson probably isn’t overly keen with Kalas having it.
I’ve also said previously that I actually think Kalas’s performances would improve without the added pressure that being a captain brings. Could be a win win situation if James gets the armband to be fair.

Archived