IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

So is this Largish Nige’s way of team bonding ?

A quote from Mr James.

’ Hopefully the balls come out on day one. 

:dunno:

Must have been playing golf and didn't get his tee shot past the ladies tee! (if you play, you will know). ;)

39 minutes ago, Offside said:

Welcome to the club, Matty. 

Seems like a good signing. His injury record is a concern, but hopefully that’s all behind him and he’ll be the type of leader we’ve been sorely missing. 

38/46 games last season including a full quota for Coventry which means 15/23 for Barnsley. The prior seasons show a less promising picture.

You can't get away from his poor career appearance record, although obviously he's had a terrible time with injuries at times as kindly explained by Ostrich above.

We have to hope that's all in the past and he now has a few seasons of at least average luck.

I do wonder how much NP expects him to feature though - if we are signing King as well perhaps it's a case of hoping for 25-30 starts from James with King filling in for 15 or so when he is unavailable.

Hope that's not the case of course and he comes here with the club and the player having every reason to think he can play 40+.

However much I'm behind Nige (and know he's far more aware than me of exactly what we need) I can't see the reasoning behind signing King as well if he's confident MJ should be available for the vast majority of games.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

38/46 games last season including a full quota for Coventry which means 15/23 for Barnsley. The prior seasons show a less promising picture.

Thanks for that. This is good news because it shows that he is back to fitness with a decent amount of games played last season. 

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Would this signing mean the Andy King transfer won't happen now?

Somebody said the other day that he was training with the club (could have been from the post but don't hold me to that!)

Got a feeling it was a day or so before somebody said about seeing James at the HPC with his other half/wife.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, players train with clubs when they're unattached all the time, but given his recent Instagram post of him in a city shirt when he was younger, plus the confirmation of him training with us, I'd be surprised if this one didn't happen to be honest.

18 hours ago, pjg11 said:

We are basically starting again as previous strategies haven’t worked . Pearson said it will take up to four windows to get a promotion pushing squad who’s to say if the club haven’t sat down with Pearson and agreed the way forward and implement a style that can be carried on after Pearson. Let’s be fair has the last five years left us with anything. Never knew what formation or players would be implemented under Johnson certainly wasn’t anything to carry forward or a style or system to play so a change now . 1st job stop the rot .long term style and philosophy don’t think all this can be done at once . Wouldn’t complain if the blueprint used at Leicester was put in place . Steadying of the ship 1st priority short term fix for long term gain I hope time will tell . We don’t no what Landsdown and Pearson have agreed. But to assume that long term goals are not in place and criticising the recruitment before a balls been kicked is a bit premature 

Just be clear. I'm not criticising recruitment. Pearson influencing signing may not be a bad thing given where we are and how he did at Leicester.  I'm just saying I think a DoF or similar is needed in the long term. 

15 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Just be clear. I'm not criticising recruitment. Pearson influencing signing may not be a bad thing given where we are and how he did at Leicester.  I'm just saying I think a DoF or similar is needed in the long term. 

I think as we move out of the summer, it will be one of the positions they look to fill….it might not be a typical full-blown DoF, might be more Head of Recruitment, although that’s just titles.

It’s the majority of posters on here are in panic mode don’t realise this is a summer like no other . Most deals this summer for the majority of clubs will be cut price bargains freebies and lower league players. Could be lowest standard of players ever  brought into the championship. So getting in quality experienced players like James in should be good business as not much else out there

On 24/06/2021 at 11:17, Southport Red said:

Showing my ignorance of football tactics/positions here, but will we be likely to see

James

Williams

Nagy and

HNM

on the pitch at the same time?

Doubt it - only one of them is likely to be definitely here next season.

(just an opinion/observation before the Spanish Inquisition starts)

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Doubt it - only one of them is likely to be definitely here next season.

(just an opinion/observation before the Spanish Inquisition starts)

Anything could happen, but I'd be very surprised if at least 3 of those 4 are not with us next season.

On 24/06/2021 at 13:09, Nogbad the Bad said:

You can't get away from his poor career appearance record, although obviously he's had a terrible time with injuries at times as kindly explained by Ostrich above.

We have to hope that's all in the past and he now has a few seasons of at least average luck.

I do wonder how much NP expects him to feature though - if we are signing King as well perhaps it's a case of hoping for 25-30 starts from James with King filling in for 15 or so when he is unavailable.

Hope that's not the case of course and he comes here with the club and the player having every reason to think he can play 40+.

However much I'm behind Nige (and know he's far more aware than me of exactly what we need) I can't see the reasoning behind signing King as well if he's confident MJ should be available for the vast majority of games.

Why do we keep signing sick notes?

3 hours ago, pjg11 said:

It’s the majority of posters on here are in panic mode don’t realise this is a summer like no other . Most deals this summer for the majority of clubs will be cut price bargains freebies and lower league players. Could be lowest standard of players ever  brought into the championship. So getting in quality experienced players like James in should be good business as not much else out there

Agree, think a lot of clubs jettisoned OOC players with no intention of replacing them all….much like us.

I think there will be a lot of released players without clubs by the end of this summer. Which will make the free agent market more competitive for the player it’s an employers market for the 1st time in years . Lower wages shorter contracts and any inkling that a player is carrying an injury underlying problem or has had long term injuries will knock them out of the market. I think medicals will be more rigorous and detailed. I think that players will play through niggles cracked finger nails twisted toes ect. As they can’t afford to get a sicknote reputation . As careers will nose dive quickly. I think players will come back quickly and make more appearances as there are plenty of fit and healthy free agents waiting in the wings . Next year 18 months will change the lower league free agency one hell of a lot

40 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

I think there will be a lot of released players without clubs by the end of this summer. Which will make the free agent market more competitive for the player it’s an employers market for the 1st time in years . Lower wages shorter contracts and any inkling that a player is carrying an injury underlying problem or has had long term injuries will knock them out of the market. I think medicals will be more rigorous and detailed. I think that players will play through niggles cracked finger nails twisted toes ect. As they can’t afford to get a sicknote reputation . As careers will nose dive quickly. I think players will come back quickly and make more appearances as there are plenty of fit and healthy free agents waiting in the wings . Next year 18 months will change the lower league free agency one hell of a lot

Yep.

Next week will we have a better indication as players pick up their 30th June contractual bonuses, become officially free….and then see the reality of the market.

We’ve seen Tommy Rowe and Henri Lansbury get deals.  In Lansbury’s case, no mention of contract length, and you can bet that Luton aren’t paying him fantastic wages.

Im quite intrigued to see where Walsh and Paterson end up….Coventry - not sure if that was mischievous from Steele or not.

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yep.

Next week will we have a better indication as players pick up their 30th June contractual bonuses, become officially free….and then see the reality of the market.

We’ve seen Tommy Rowe and Henri Lansbury get deals.  In Lansbury’s case, no mention of contract length, and you can bet that Luton aren’t paying him fantastic wages.

Im quite intrigued to see where Walsh and Paterson end up….Coventry - not sure if that was mischievous from Steele or not.

I quite liked Walsh, and I must say I was hoping he would accept/sign his contract extension - I also got the impression that NP liked him as well. 

What, in your opinion, are the chances if, a few weeks down the line, he fails to get the contract he wants with Swansea, Coventry or whoever, and comes back to try and negotiate with City? 

And, of course, would City still be interested?

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I quite liked Walsh, and I must say I was hoping he would accept/sign his contract extension - I also got the impression that NP liked him as well. 

What, in your opinion, are the chances if, a few weeks down the line, he fails to get the contract he wants with Swansea, Coventry or whoever, and comes back to try and negotiate with City? 

Zero, he turned a contract down with us, so he can **** off.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

What he said ⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Zero, he turned a contract down with us, so he can **** off.

Think Walsh will get a contract somewhere but maybe not the length and wage he wants . For a championship club he’s a bit of a punt . One good season at league one level looked very good but league one . Hardly any championship games under his belt so lack of experience at championship level. Been injured for a year . If city signed him  from another club this forum would be on fire . Good luck to him. But no reason for the club to offer him a better contract or same terms. The club has got to stop paying for potential. We don’t see his attitude or how he performs in training all factors. And before people say the pathway was blocked I feel he never walked down it . If your good enough you will get there . With Walsh I think it’s been wrong place wrong time . He may well be a success just a shame not here

4 hours ago, pjg11 said:

Think Walsh will get a contract somewhere but maybe not the length and wage he wants . For a championship club he’s a bit of a punt . One good season at league one level looked very good but league one . Hardly any championship games under his belt so lack of experience at championship level. Been injured for a year . If city signed him  from another club this forum would be on fire . Good luck to him. But no reason for the club to offer him a better contract or same terms. The club has got to stop paying for potential. We don’t see his attitude or how he performs in training all factors. And before people say the pathway was blocked I feel he never walked down it . If your good enough you will get there . With Walsh I think it’s been wrong place wrong time . He may well be a success just a shame not here

I guess the contract offer (turned down) was to ensure compensation.

Archived