IGNORED

Matty James - SIGNED - BCFC Twitter

GrahamC

16 minutes ago, Supersonic Robin said:

I think we have to be a bit cautious when applying the "proven" idea to assess players. Don't get me wrong, experience can be important within a squad, but I do think people can get a little carried away with the "is he proven?" mantra.

There's lots of players who are "unproven" at this level who do very well very quickly (e.g. Toney), and lots of players who are "proven at this level" who struggle (e.g. Brunt, Lansbury).

Perhaps "Has he recently shown traits that suggest he'll do well at this level?" would be more accurate. Such thinking is why I feel more positive about us signing Matty James than I did about Lansbury, for example. It's also why, although our squad may lack depth and cohesion, I think it may be a little harsh to say we're "alarmingly weak" on a player-by-player basis.

I agree, maybe proven is not the right word, but my post also stated players “for the here and now” which is fairer. I never ever thought Lansbury was in that category, he had far too little game time over the past 18 months, hugely different to James. 

where I don’t agree is the alarmingly weak. We are. It looks to me like we have 14 “ready to go” - that’s alarming. With our injury record, and the fact that 2 of those are OOC and not signed with us (Weimann and Simpson) that’s weak. Really think you’d be an ostrich to think otherwise...

I personally think Matty James would be a great signing for us. He's proven at this level, has leadership qualities we've been sadly lacking, and brings the experience that will help the younger players, and I think he'll help develop the rest of the midfield.

Aging player. Really he’s 29  our midfield has Bakinson HNM any amount of teenagers from the U23 group and Adam Nagy. We are crying out for a leader with experience. A three year contract takes him to 32 ( obviously) and he’s ooc! 

I noticed Drinkwater being mentioned, does anyone think that is realistic? 

8 minutes ago, BritAbroad said:

I doubt it. He's on way too much for us too afford.

That was my thought, but I noticed his name. However Covid times may change somethings! I guess we could be shocked by what happens between now and August!

Don’t remember seeing this lad against us, that being said I don’t pay that much attention to opposing players, more focused on City. 

Is he a similar type of midfielder to Harry Arter? Experienced, keep things simple etc...

8 hours ago, Dolman Block B said:

He’s an excellent player who now seems fully fit

Coventry fans are desperate for him to stay and a level above Walsh

Wages an issue though 

The NP factor?

What makes Coventry a better option, I’m pretty sure we are able to offer a better package to him 

5 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

See my response to Phileas. 

Rinse, repeat, same issues, over and over and over. 

Squad we have is actually good, more than good enough to stay in this league, relegation isnt predetermined nor is the doom and gloom about them when managed and motivated properly. 

Bringing in another 'trusted' enforcer,  solidifies the rinse and repeat, and I'd rather we'd do something different. Itd make a nice change not to rely on aging and arguably less able player to do the thing that is expected in a league that has changed beyond all recognition since the last successes. 

less able than who haven’t saw to many able to string a pass make a tackle organise be a leader or do any thing else since January squad threadbare lacks fight and leadership if that what he gives us wouldn’t care if he was married to Pearson. Not saying we should recruit all Pearson’s ex players but a proven championship player is a no brainer 

7 minutes ago, pjg11 said:

less able than who haven’t saw to many able to string a pass make a tackle organise be a leader or do any thing else since January squad threadbare lacks fight and leadership if that what he gives us wouldn’t care if he was married to Pearson. Not saying we should recruit all Pearson’s ex players but a proven championship player is a no brainer 

We need a new Paul Hartley?? But younger version , not many of them about unfortunately,  snapped by the big boys at 13yo, happened  again today according to reports??

Nothing I’ve seen in the playoffs or in the, albeit limited, Championship games I’ve watched this season tells me there will be many better midfielders in the league next season. Rolls-Royce of a player at that level and so disappointing that injuries prevented him getting to the level he could have 

41 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

No not in the slightest, it's just in the main the older players we've signed since David James have been bobbins by and large. The likes of Jody Morris  Brian Howard, Neil Danns,  Stephen McManus,  Marlon Harewood, Nickey Shorey. Adam El Abd, Gary O Neil, Chris Brunt, Danny Simpson, 

Elliott and WIlbraham , Pisano, Maenpaa are the exception rather than the rule

For this to mean anything at all you'd have to show signing older players is worse on average than the younger ones we've signed. All you've done there is show the proportion of older players who have been worth it in your opinion, but with nothing to compare it to it's meaningless.

You could equally point out all the young strikers we've signed and barely used and use that as a reason not to try again. Or how many wingers was it in the last few years?

The reality is that only a small proportion of our signings in general have been good value, regardless of their age. It's just lazy thinking to link them in my opinion.

Of our 13 oldest players, 11 have been released this summer. I'd say we badly need some older and more experienced heads personally.

4 hours ago, BritAbroad said:

I doubt it. He's on way too much for us too afford.

Yep, I read very recently he was on £100k per week but also, that he was OOC this summer.

If he wants cash he will not be coming here, if he wants to play and potentially be part of something he just might but highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Long one so apologies in advance. 

That's fair enough. I think we are good enough, and players would do well in other teams should they want to Kalas is off to the Euros, despite what people here think about him. Somewhere we've got to take the Bristol City ' Haze' off and look at what we have as objectively as possible and the squad is actually pretty good, see response to Dave

Kalas, Bentley, Massengo that's 3 players most Championship clubs would like. Struggle to think of any others who'd just slot right in.

It's a team game and we have to get in players to fit a system, much like how all of the top 6 had this season. (I would have taken 0 Barnsley players prior to this season). 

We aren't good enough, right now 

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Long one so apologies in advance. 

That's fair enough. I think we are good enough, and players would do well in other teams should they want to Kalas is off to the Euros, despite what people here think about him. Somewhere we've got to take the Bristol City ' Haze' off and look at what we have as objectively as possible and the squad is actually pretty good, see response to Dave later.

I'm not 'ignoring' anything. I just dont have the same nostalgia 'salad days' view point over that team that got promotion, nor the one that nearly made it either. 

It's 14/15 years ago ish regarding promotion with that team, and lots has changed in the time since. I remember far more about Showumni rather than Jeavons to be honest Jevons scored 11 in the league or something,  Showumni 9/10? Slept since then. Jevons went to Huddersfield. Showumni to Leeds after a Sheffield Wednesday loan iirc. 

Re GJ we got massively found out latter half of the season nearing play offs, Adebola's addition (signing more strikers, us, never!! :laugh:) changing the way we played, and we won something like 2 in 11 or 3 in 11 from March going in to the play offs.  The play off games were great, but the final (as per the Brighton final ) we got found out,we're lacking and never recovered from Windass. 

We've spent the last umpteen years trying to recreate that 'chasing of the dragon' and if we keep doing that we'll never get anywhere. 

Regarding Legacy issues. 

So how many clear outs of players, coaching staff and whatever else have we had to have over a relatively short period of time. There was a point in time when during, after 5 pillars etc, progression and working with replacing little bits rather than everyone and everything on a change of manager, which is the thing we seem to have reverted to.  

In terms of legacy then, if NP doesnt work out and takes his staff with him, then we go over and over and over again. the whole rinse and repeat thing that, I thought (probably mistakenly) that we as a club, nor as fans wanted to go through again. Christ alive there has been enough talk about pay offs long contracts and the rest since the year dot. 

How does NP change that?

Regarding Del

Lots of his signings were based on Scottish football and being in and around the Scotland Squad and going back to Dundee after WBA iirc, however there were so many posts from 'The Jock' it may have blurred into one to many PTSD traumas I wish to forget.  Jody from St Johnstone was not the only player he knew.. I thought we covered that previously, auch well. Here's a nice insight into RIcky Foster at BS3 https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/not-nice-atmosphere-former-rangers-4268444

Regarding times things have worked and going back to legacy and continuity. How much have we spent with naff all to show for it again? Doesnt work. It's the hope that will kill you, apparently.

Yes, Dave there is the potential for new signings.  but as your picture shows we have...

Massengo, Williams, Palmer, Nagy, Semenyo, Scott, Bakinson,  Callum O Dowda (ROI position iirc) as well as Vyner, Taylor Moore who can slip into DM positions as well.

I get the clamour for another 'Paul Hartley' or similar or another 'Marlon Pack'  but that's my point and why I love your new Barry Bannan thread/

Naw, not misty eyed , big difference.

Remarkable that football has changed completely and also we got massively found out. the 'one game' nearly there has killed many clubs over time. Let's us not be that one

Alex Scott is 17. Average retirement ages ranges 33-37 approximately.  By the end of the 3 year contract we've apparently offered he'll be 32/33 .. 

He may come good, but he is 'aging' not NOT 'aged'

No not in the slightest, it's just in the main the older players we've signed since David James have been bobbins by and large. The likes of Jody Morris  Brian Howard, Neil Danns,  Stephen McManus,  Marlon Harewood, Nickey Shorey. Adam El Abd, Gary O Neil, Chris Brunt, Danny Simpson, 

Elliott and WIlbraham , Pisano, Maenpaa are the exception rather than the rule

Thanks for keeping on telling me how I should think and what my own views are. I mean if you want to post for me, rather than actually discuss because it disagrees with your stance, then please do carry on. 

Pretty sad state of affairs, especially when I've explained my position multiple times, but you go with those blinkers if it helps. Every view is a winner, except when they are claiming to speak for another, which is just plain weird..

Interesting assumption,  what is a Woke Narnia?. Also, It?  Nah not a book by Stephen King, please do try again though, perhaps without the added transphobia, ta

There's lots in there I agree with and bits that I don't, but I won't comment as its rather a long post.

What I will say is that I like your insistence to put over your opinion in the face of a few posters on the band wagon (and it is a few) who seem to think that any contrary view to the majority is alien. 

45 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

There's lots in there I agree with and bits that I don't, but I won't comment as its rather a long post.

What I will say is that I like your insistence to put over your opinion in the face of a few posters on the band wagon (and it is a few) who seem to think that any contrary view to the majority is alien. 

Contrary views are fine, so long as they're based on some sort of recognisable reality and logic.

6 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Contrary views are fine, so long as they're based on some sort or recognisable reality and logic.

Well, thats subjective isn't it - and is exactly why I responded as I did.

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Someone whose views are consistently contrary, on thread after thread, time after time, might want to ask themselves "why is it always me?"

Maybe because there are a few bandwagoners on here ?

32 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Maybe

Buts he’s had a full season there and no doubt is based in the Midlands so settled 

Think only NP could prise him away 

Let’s hope so 

You would like to think NP has already sounded him out and got a positive response from the player

1 hour ago, Dolman Block B said:

Maybe

Buts he’s had a full season there and no doubt is based in the Midlands so settled 

Think only NP could prise him away 

Let’s hope so 

It will be an interesting test of NP's pulling power. Which is going to be important in getting the signings we need to turn the squad around. Really hope we can get some of these done early. Come on Nige do your stuff.

Archived