IGNORED

All you need to know about Big Nige

Sniper

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Picked this up from the Bristol Post, a really good watch and some very interesting points on what he's all about, and what we can expect fingers crossed!

https://www.foxpunter.com/blog/nigel-pearson-bristol-city?fbclid=IwAR3tQAIukA7mTyDpIngnxNEiVPcs9pxIohm3qniol5F6tatVOBZ0t7V71WU

Thanks Sniper. Really interesting to get that outside perspective, and interesting that it chimes with what most of the sensible posters think.

Thought the discussion about LJ and the issues that his management style created in the culture was really good.

As someone who works in education it really spoke to me. You only can create the behaviours you want by giving the opportunity for them to be practiced. For example, you cannot create resilient learners/players without giving them opportunities to show resilience and model what it looks like.

I think it takes great confidence to give up some control to give space for leadership to develop. Something LJ was unwilling to do. A lack of confidence or a control freak?

I think LJ has been hindered by only really playing under one manager. His man management will be a reflection of this.

Another good point was around how long it will take to make the shift in the squad that is needed, and how Nigel will have to manage the expectations of fans and the media. 
Let’s hope we can stay patient. I believe we are finally on the right road, but there will undoubtedly be a few bumps along the way.

Fascinating discussion. These guys have certainly done their homework. NP knows a good building depends on its foundations. Not a load of management b*ll*cks but careful analysis of where we are, where we need to get to and how to get there. The initial signings are going to be fascinating as he establishes what he wants to happen when he leaves the dressing room to the players.

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

Picked this up from the Bristol Post, a really good watch and some very interesting points on what he's all about, and what we can expect fingers crossed!

https://www.foxpunter.com/blog/nigel-pearson-bristol-city?fbclid=IwAR3tQAIukA7mTyDpIngnxNEiVPcs9pxIohm3qniol5F6tatVOBZ0t7V71WU

Thanks for sharing . Knowledgable bloke, very interesting . Certainly had the culture under LJ to a tee 

Really insightful excellent discussion.  On a level above anything we normally hear about us.  Talking about starting a 2nd cycle of being a Championship club.  Describing NP as a de facto Director of Football / CEO or whatever position remains unfilled for now.  He's building the club from his position of manager.  As I've said before, it's very much in the mould of Pat Lam at Bristol Rugby. 

13 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Really insightful excellent discussion.  On a level above anything we normally hear about us.  Talking about starting a 2nd cycle of being a Championship club.  Describing NP as a de facto Director of Football / CEO or whatever position remains unfilled for now.  He's building the club from his position of manager.  As I've said before, it's very much in the mould of Pat Lam at Bristol Rugby. 

You picked up the same points as me.  It’s quite interesting, and it’s about the journey / transition.  Not everything has to be in place immediately….you can burn a lot of money trying to do it all in one go.  Looking forward to the ride.  What a perceptive guy Mike Holden is.

Heres the Lee Johnson one.

https://foxpunter.libsyn.com/lee-johnson-and-darren-ferguson

Not listened yet.

Really interesting stuff. The point that chimed for me was about LJ wanting control of everything and using the players like tools in a toolbox, which left the players bereft of the ability to think for themselves or dig themselves out of it when a game went against them.

The bit about supporters’ expectations was interesting as well. From what I see, fans understand the huge mess we have been in and aren’t expecting great things next season regarding league position. 

I would absolutely love to hear Nigel Pearson’s interview for the City job.

Listening to that chap I can imagine that would be somewhat of a tame starter for some of the home truths that he’d noticed from the outside looking in and what needed to change. 

I’m glad that the Lansdowns have accepted that and that realised he was right.

16 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Interesting video. Got concerned with the whole dictator style stuff about 8 mins in. 

Players never know what he's like, a bit of a 'character' and delegation of pretty much everything and so on was just a bit alarming as was the temperament dynasty etc

However it's probably just me who heard that. 

The two guys doing the pod seemed very knowledgeable too. Alas, it didnt inspire me all that much tbh. 

Geeze will you leave NP alone!  Why not be more positive mate.

3 hours ago, Offside said:

The point that chimed for me was about LJ wanting control of everything and using the players like tools in a toolbox, which left the players bereft of the ability to think for themselves or dig themselves out of it when a game went against them

Yep, for me too.  Felt like we're overcoached by LJ rather than just given freedom to play, which I think was what Holden was advocating TBF.

I know SO'D isn't a favourite on here but I keep hearing echoes of what he always talked about in NP's interviews.  SO'D was all about getting the players to take responsibility and make decisions for themselves.  

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I've talked about the video, said it was a decent watch and provided an interpretation of it. Being honest about stuff isn't really liked on here or is considered difficult isn't it? 

I'm iooking forward to the next season, seeing the thrills and spills as much as the next person. The goals, the skills, the wins, the losses and the inevitable highs and lows and so on. 

Indeed, the last two seasons are the most I've been invested in football for ages.

I'm not sorry for not having the complete blind faith that others have and I'm certainly not going to start doing that just to appease others. 

Do you think that the cohort of OTIB posters who are pro-NP are making their judgements on “complete blind faith”?  It’s an interesting accusation to level at those with a different view to yourself. ??‍♂️

2 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

I've talked about the video, said it was a decent watch and provided an interpretation of it. Being honest about stuff isn't really liked on here or is considered difficult isn't it? 

I'm iooking forward to the next season, seeing the thrills and spills as much as the next person. The goals, the skills, the wins, the losses and the inevitable highs and lows and so on. 

Indeed, the last two seasons are the most I've been invested in football for ages.

I'm not sorry for not having the complete blind faith that others have and I'm certainly not going to start doing that just to appease others. 

C788FC6E-514E-4D1D-9749-7BFDA85804F5.jpeg

9 hours ago, Scare_Man said:

I would absolutely love to hear Nigel Pearson’s interview for the City job.

Probably went something like this.

So, Nigel….tell us why you’d like to be considered for the job.

3 hours later…..well thanks for that considered reply we’ve run out of time for any more questions so the jobs all yours.

16 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Probably went something like this.

So, Nigel….tell us why you’d like to be considered for the job.

3 hours later…..well thanks for that considered reply we’ve run out of time for any more questions so the jobs all yours.

SL - this is going to be a competency based interv……

NP - then why did you appoint the previous ones then.  I’ll start Monday.  Sorted.

3 hours ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Exactly what have you got against the man? We're not blind. Just allowing ourselves to think the clouds maybe lifting and the club is no longer being cuckoo'ed by a suited bluffer who's pulled the wool over the owner's eyes.

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Finished listening to the LJ one.  Sums him up nicely, in a complimentary way.

It was complimentary but it got me thinking why he got it when Parkinson in all likeliness would've got them up. 

You look at their owner who's about 13, has Inherited wealth with little life experience and you understand how LJ got the job.  He understands how to impress those kind of people.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

It was complimentary but it got me thinking why he got it when Parkinson in all likeliness would've got them up. 

You look at their owner who's about 13, has Inherited wealth with little life experience and you understand how LJ got the job.  He understands how to impress those kind of people.

Announce Myers-Briggs

Really interesting watch, that. Not sure who the bald Manc was but he knows his stuff. 

Key points for me were: a) it will take time to change the cultural of this club and fans need to understand that, and b) the club probably doesn't have a clue where to turn next if this goes wrong. 

For those reasons, he's got my support and patience to rebuild the club. That's not blind faith, that's optimism. 

46 minutes ago, RalphMilnesLeftFoot said:

Nothing against the man. I can keep repeating this forever. Looking at results so far and changes so far should I be really enthused about rinsing and repeating? Re your last sentence, clouds lifting, great. perhaps we can be objective and weigh up pros and cons..

The only issue you have with him since taking over is the results then? That's it?

Very interesting to hear from someone outside of our support what plenty of us realized some two or three years ago. That we had people in the club, who were there for their own glory and not for the one's who are there to actually produce the end results.

It was too much "I' and nowhere near enough " WE". It could be a rocky ride initially but at least I believe it will happen. I'm looking forward to the next twelve months because I can see the house will have good foundations, not built on the top of a cliff that will deposit it into the ocean in a few months.

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Very interesting to hear from someone outside of our support what plenty of us realized some two or three years ago. That we had people in the club, who were there for their own glory and not for the one's who are there to actually produce the end results.

It was too much "I' and nowhere near enough " WE". It could be a rocky ride initially but at least I believe it will happen. I'm looking forward to the next twelve months because I can see the house will have good foundations, not built on the top of a cliff that will deposit it into the ocean in a few months.

One thing I noticed in NP’s first few interviews is that it would have been all to easy for him to distance himself from the shambles he inherited. However, in all references to the season before his appointment he always used “we/us/our”.

31 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

The bit about players not knowing what to do in a situation, because LJ did everything, was really interesting and it makes perfect sense given our performances.

Really interesting watch that, thanks for posting it @Sniper ?.

How many times did I post about us being rigid, and players with good instincts having to abandon them.  Think @spudskicalled in in-natural (sic unnatural).  Little things like that training video when he was mic’d up and trying to coach players to do “Marlon Pack No-Look Passes”.  As a player you either have that in your locker or you don’t.  Ok, you can probably coach it a bit, but in the heat of a game, trying to remember exactly what Johnson says you had to do in that exact scenario stifles freedom to do all the good things you’ve developed as a player and how you got to this level in the first place.

15 hours ago, The Bard said:

You look at their owner who's about 13, has Inherited wealth with little life experience and you understand how LJ got the job.  He understands how to impress those kind of people

So that is why LJ said he respects his boss so much; one of very few owners he can look down on. 

Archived