IGNORED

Cole Skuse

phantom

Top quality player. Another ruined at City by never allowing him to play in a settled position, forever the fill-in, 'utility player'. 

I thought he played best when centre of the park, creatively picking passes.

3 hours ago, phantom said:

I know many on here like to keep tabs on former players 

Screenshot_20210525-172203_Twitter.jpg

I remember an away game many years ago when the matchday announcer pronounced his name as Co-lo Sku-say. I half expected Kevin Spacey to appear as the bad guy from 'The Usual Suspects'. 

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

I remember an away game many years ago when the matchday announcer pronounced his name as Co-lo Sku-say. I half expected Kevin Spacey to appear as the bad guy from 'The Usual Suspects'. 

It was on Sky and Co-Lay Sku-Say.

I think Mick McCarthy described him as a consistent 7/10 player, which I think is fair. The main issue I had with him was he would occasionally, slip below that, but rarely if ever had that extra gear to get above it. His play never really changed if we were 2 up or 2 down.

The thing I always noticed though, that if we played bigger teams in the cup or the stronger relegated sides, he was one player that would never looked outclassed.

21 hours ago, Robbored said:

Really good player Cole Skuse. Seriously underrated by some City fans.

And perhaps seriously over rated by others.

My opinion is he could have been much better but his laid back character meant he seemed to choose to coast through his career, particularly his latter years at AG.

Always looked comfortable in a good City team, but nothing special about him to be able to raise his game and stand out in a poor one.

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My opinion is he could have been much better but his laid back character meant he seemed to choose to coast through his career, particularly his latter years at AG.

Always looked comfortable in a good City team, but nothing special about him to be able to raise his game and stand out in a poor one.

Skuse and his ability has always created different opinions. Personally I found him a completely reliable and versatile defensive player. Not spectacular in any way largely because the role he played as a deep midfielder, protecting the back four. I think he actually played there a few times. I certainly remember him playing at full back.

He did all necessary jobs really well. Positionally sound, solid tackler, broke up play and gave the ball to more skilful team mates.

48 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Fully agree, if he was that good he would have gone to a top team. He was neither excellent nor poor, just average and coasted. 

I think you've summed it up perfectly. 

I'm a bit mixed on Skuse. I think he was a much better player than some gave him credit for but I also think he got into a bit of a rut at the club and needed a move away in the end. 

I'm glad he did well at Ispwich and that he has found a new club but I think he moved on at the right time for everyone. 

1 hour ago, Spoons said:

Seriously over rated by some city fans.

Completely agree, he’s in my top three most over rated City players ever. I could never see what people used to go on about, he always looked weak to me. Still, he’s forged out a decent career so WTF do I know?!

He is a really decent bloke though, I do know that. 

18 minutes ago, One Team said:

Completely agree, he’s in my top three most over rated City players ever. I could never see what people used to go on about, he always looked weak to me. Still, he’s forged out a decent career so WTF do I know?!

He is a really decent bloke though, I do know that. 

Who are the other 2 out of interest?

48 minutes ago, bissellredhead said:

Who are the other 2 out of interest?

Callum O’Dowda and Steve Brooker.

I’ve never got what people see in either of them. 

Be interesting to see what other people’s top three would be, probably players I rate! ?

On 25/05/2021 at 11:25, Gazred said:

Was reading about that earlier. I thought he's done well to get a 2 year deal at 35 and close to home as well.

Fair play to him. Always was a good, consistent pro.

Blimey 35. So Ipswich straight to the Yew's? 2yr deal bravo indeed.

Archived