IGNORED

Villarreal

Super

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But how depressing to have to watch a game like that.  Villareal seeming to come into it with little ambition except to frustrate everything Manchester United could do and bring all eleven players back behind the ball every time United went forward, leaving seven or eight United players trying to thread their way through eleven Villareal players within twenty metres of their goal.

If that’s the result of La Liga being ‘more accomplished technically’ then I’ll stick with what I see in England.  At least you get some entertainment occasionally.

They were never going to go out and attack United as that's what they wanted. I thought it was  a masterclass from Emery tbh.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Well done to them last night especially as the media had given them no chance before the game. The De Gea stat is bizarre that he hasn't saved any of his last 36 pens which makes you wonder why they didn't sub him before the shoot out as he never looked like saving any of them (reminded me of Shilton in WC 1990).

That why they will never win anything with this manager. He is not brave enough to sub a keeper in case it upsets De Gea. How this guy gets picked in front of Henderson beats me

1 hour ago, Super said:

Well done to them last night especially as the media had given them no chance before the game. The De Gea stat is bizarre that he hasn't saved any of his last 36 pens which makes you wonder why they didn't sub him before the shoot out as he never looked like saving any of them (reminded me of Shilton in WC 1990).

The Peter Shilton thing is interesting.

I thought the same for years, until I read an interview with either Shilts or Lineaker who said that they had prepared for Germany’s penalties thoroughly and watching footage of their previous efforts noticed a large number were straight down the middle. Shilts and Lineaker concluded that in a World Cup semi, players would stick to routine rather than gamble with such high stakes. whilst he may let a couple in, it was decided that being inclined to save the shot straight down the middle would mean a couple would be stopped.

The rest is history.

48 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Its easy for out shite media to make villareal out to be a team of no hopers and promote the premier league and their teams as the best in the world.

la liga is far more accomplished technically, and with 3 weeks of the season left there were 4 teams who had a chance of winning it. Youd think the media would get realistic by now, but i guess its the same thing as city players coming out all last season saying we go again,,, towing the party line.

Post Brexit the media has sunk into the worst kind of idiotic jingoism going. Inward looking one eyed nonsense.  

37 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Post Brexit the media has sunk into the worst kind of idiotic jingoism going. Inward looking one eyed nonsense.  

When it comes to English football, they have always been like this, Brexit is irrelevant.

In the 80s and 90s English football was regarded not even the top 5 League's in Europe.
Italian football was the strongest by a mile. We have had a good couple of years here and there but in terms of dominance the Spanish are miles ahead of us.. 

We forget there are other good teams all around Europe

59 minutes ago, Super said:

They were never going to go out and attack United as that's what they wanted. I thought it was  a masterclass from Emery tbh.

Indeed. Utd have 5 times as much income, 4 times the wage bill and their squad cost 6 times as much but they couldn't open up a well organised Villareal despite their inbuilt advantage.

The difference in resources was nullified by an experienced coach with a track record beating one who has regularly shown that he has no plan for breaking down a low block beyond hoping one of his attacking players will do it with a bit of individual brilliance.

1 hour ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

That would make sense as the commentary also seemed to be delayed to me.

But surely for a European final they would have had the TV commentators in the stadium?

I was listening to the match on Radio 5 in the car and their commentators were watching TV rather than actualy there, kept mentioning how frustrating it was that they couldn't always see what they wanted to.

3 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

That why they will never win anything with this manager. He is not brave enough to sub a keeper in case it upsets De Gea. How this guy gets picked in front of Henderson beats me

If you watch enough of Henderson you would know why 

Just hope England aren't going to rely to heavily on Rashford or Greenwood in the Euros.....both were distinctly average. All top strikers score that one chance that fell to Rashford....anyone can miss it !

Yet another failure by one of the ESL clubs this season.

4 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Does anyone know what would have happened had De Gea scored ? Every player had taken a kick, do they start again, or unused subs take them? I have no idea.

goes round again

Saw this happen in a league cup game early 2000s.
Wiltord who missed his penalty the first time around scored the winning one.

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

The Peter Shilton thing is interesting.

I thought the same for years, until I read an interview with either Shilts or Lineaker who said that they had prepared for Germany’s penalties thoroughly and watching footage of their previous efforts noticed a large number were straight down the middle. Shilts and Lineaker concluded that in a World Cup semi, players would stick to routine rather than gamble with such high stakes. whilst he may let a couple in, it was decided that being inclined to save the shot straight down the middle would mean a couple would be stopped.

The rest is history.

Given the amount of analysis goalkeepers are given on where penalty takers go I wonder if the reverse is now happening as well, penalty takers look at where they often put the ball and deliberately go somewhere else on the chance the goalkeeper has memorised where they usually go

7 hours ago, headhunter said:

I thought De Gea was a disgrace last night making barely any attempt to save any of them. That said, they were well struck with that of his opposite number being one of the best. You just knew he was going to miss his attempt.

As an earlier poster said, maybe he should have been swapped at the start of the shoot out with the appalling record he has.

this may explain

David De Gea IGNORED Man Utd keeper coach penalty notes that could have won Europa League in shootout loss to Villarreal (thesun.co.uk)

Villarreal were technically and tactically on another level. 

The fact that they come from a town about the size of Exmouth, something our Club should reflect on both as a positive -no reason why we can’t do it - and negatively- why the hell are we so far away from that standard.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Just hope England aren't going to rely to heavily on Rashford or Greenwood in the Euros.....both were distinctly average. All top strikers score that one chance that fell to Rashford....anyone can miss it !

Yet another failure by one of the ESL clubs this season.

Should be Grealish Mount and Foden playing behind Kane imo. Greenwood probably wouldn’t even go for me. Rashford I might start against a side that will have more possession for the counter. 

Villarreal for their size, really have punched above their weight often- well in modern times anyway.

Reached CL a number of times, including quarter final and semi final in 2009 and 2005 respectively. Some great players, Pellegrini did some top work there.

Emery, maybe he wasn't the big problem at Arsenal...snippet in tonight's Times damned him with faint praise. I'd suggest that perhaps bigger issues at Arsenal but basically credited him, then added he's better at smaller clubs etc as less pressure to attack. I think Valencia and Sevilla are certainly decent sized clubs and his sides there were quite positive.

PLUS, it was nice to see one of the breakaway 12 not win a trophy. Very nice.

I didn’t blame David DeGea for missing the penalty but I did blame OGS for not substituting him before the penalties were taken.He is the last goalkeeper in the world you would want in goal for your team in a penalty shoot out Never looked like saving one. It is incredible how poor he is at stopping penalties for otherwise such an accomplished keeper. Statistically United were much more likely to win the shoot out with Henderson in goal for the penalties 

12 hours ago, GBF said:

I didn’t blame David DeGea for missing the penalty but I did blame OGS for not substituting him before the penalties were taken.He is the last goalkeeper in the world you would want in goal for your team in a penalty shoot out Never looked like saving one. It is incredible how poor he is at stopping penalties for otherwise such an accomplished keeper. Statistically United were much more likely to win the shoot out with Henderson in goal for the penalties 

Also, the inexplicable decision to take them 2nd didn't help.  Statistically it's a 60/40 split for the side taking the 1st one.

Archived