Jump to content
IGNORED

Jokanovic


Super
 Share

Recommended Posts

Slavisa Jokanovic has been appointed as Chris Wilder's permanent successor at Sheffield United, signing a three-year deal to become the Blades' new boss.

Decent appointment i know there were a few on here that wouldn't have minded him here at one stage

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Prince Abdullah said: “Over the past two months, the club has undertaken a rigorous recruitment process in our search for the right person to take Sheffield United forward. We’ve been keenly conscious of the importance of this decision and therefore have considered many strong candidates and have undertaken thorough due diligence. After an exhaustive evaluation, it was evident that Slavisa was the man we needed at the helm.”

A rigorous process and they didn't appoint Heckingbottom but some bloke who has won promotion twice before? This can't be right surely? Isn't Heckingbottom a good human?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, harrys said:

Yet another club that realise that you are are far more likely to get out of this division with a foreign manager

That quote would hold up if they were an unknown over here, having won 2 promotions from this division its not really the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

That quote would hold up if they were an unknown over here, having won 2 promotions from this division its not really the same.

That quote holds up when you look at the numbers, as a boffin at Bangor University demonstrated. Nige is a good appointment for us but yet another terribly conservative choice by our bewildered owner

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That quote holds up when you look at the numbers, as a boffin at Bangor University demonstrated. Nige is a good appointment for us but yet another terribly conservative choice by our bewildered owner

I get the idea behind new foreign manager v new English manager, but how do you differentiate between a foreign manager who already has 2 promotions and an English manager with multiple promotions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I get the idea behind new foreign manager v new English manager, but how do you differentiate between a foreign manager who already has 2 promotions and an English manager with multiple promotions? 

You invite them round to meet them in person, they knock on the door and step into the room, you look 'em in the eye and you shake their hand, and by the time you've done all that, you're gut knows and has decided. All you got to do is trust your gut. Unless you're SL, I'm not sure about his gut. He should involve Mrs L, and see what she thinks (once he's looked at the numbers and whittled it down to two or three).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

I get the idea behind new foreign manager v new English manager, but how do you differentiate between a foreign manager who already has 2 promotions and an English manager with multiple promotions? 

I guess you look at their respective win %: 

Pearson: 40.12%

Jokanovic: 53.04%

Jokanovic's most recent promotion success was 2018 with Fulham whereas Nige dates back to 2013/14.

You could argue the latter is the more fresher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep. I’d have taken him.

 

Interesting that I’d have considered NP as less realistic than Jok. 

Like Wilder there wasn’t a chance in a million he was interested in our post.

Sheff U have 3 years of parachute payments plus assets to sell if he wants to re-structure the squad.

Wilder is being heavily tipped to take over at West Brom, where exactly the same scenario applies.

Our first priority next season is just to avoid being in a relegation scrap, the difference in remit between us & these 2 sides is vast.

Although results have been (as Pearson has admitted) terrible, I genuinely think we are lucky to have secured a proven, experienced manager to attempt to steer us through this period.

As for being a “conservative” choice, I actually think by our standards it is anything but.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strong appointment for sure. Might go with a radically different approach to Wilder ie back 4, 4-3-3 as opposed to 3-4-3- wonder if that could hinder them, for a while at least.

On paper should be up there near the top though- similarly Wilder is linked with WBA, could him implementing his unique approach there stall them if he gets that job?

Would certainly have taken Jokanovic in the past, but certainly happy with Pearson and excited to see what he can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

 

As for being a “conservative” choice, I actually think by our standards it is anything but.

Yes, hence my "good for us" comment, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't saying Nige is a conservative appointment compared to previous appointments of Holden, Johnson, Millen and Tinnion. 

My point was in relation to research that shows that across all four divisions overseas coaches deliver more ppg than homegrown ones. And recognising that our peers and rivals have cottoned on to this, and the direction they have taken appointing from a far bigger talent pool than SL continues to "fish" in.

SL keeps going for the same-ish blokes from the same limited pool, like Hungary have yet to thrash us at Wembley yet. He's conservative, compared to his rival owners.

However, the pickle we have got ourselves in means now was maybe not the time to do anything risky like trying something different. Nige looks like a good move for where we are at this point.

In the context we find ourselves in, one of 24 the Championship in 2021, the appointment of NP like all of SL's appointments to this role was conservative, and apparently oblivious to the stats that show there's better beyond these shores.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, hence my "good for us" comment, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't saying Nige is a conservative appointment compared to previous appointments of Holden, Johnson, Millen and Tinnion. 

My point was in relation to research that shows that across all four divisions overseas coaches deliver more ppg than homegrown ones. And recognising that our peers and rivals have cottoned on to this, and the direction they have taken appointing from a far bigger talent pool than SL continues to "fish" in.

SL keeps going for the same-ish blokes from the same limited pool, like Hungary have yet to thrash us at Wembley yet. He's conservative, compared to his rival owners.

However, the pickle we have got ourselves in means now was maybe not the time to do anything risky like trying something different. Nige looks like a good move for where we are at this point.

In the context we find ourselves in, one of 24 the Championship in 2021, the appointment of NP like all of SL's appointments to this role was conservative, and apparently oblivious to the stats that show there's better beyond these shores.

I just don’t see it as a same-ish bloke.

SL’s appointments bar Coppell, which was an unmitigated disaster & whoever was at fault it is worth pointing out that he has never managed at Championship level again, are conservative, yes.

Pearson is unlike all the others, someone with a track record of success at this level who wanted the job, for every Ismael there is a Siewert & whilst I know you’d like to see some Dutch unknown I really don’t think now is the time to gamble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, hence my "good for us" comment, but that wasn't my point. My point wasn't saying Nige is a conservative appointment compared to previous appointments of Holden, Johnson, Millen and Tinnion. 

My point was in relation to research that shows that across all four divisions overseas coaches deliver more ppg than homegrown ones. And recognising that our peers and rivals have cottoned on to this, and the direction they have taken appointing from a far bigger talent pool than SL continues to "fish" in.

SL keeps going for the same-ish blokes from the same limited pool, like Hungary have yet to thrash us at Wembley yet. He's conservative, compared to his rival owners.

However, the pickle we have got ourselves in means now was maybe not the time to do anything risky like trying something different. Nige looks like a good move for where we are at this point.

In the context we find ourselves in, one of 24 the Championship in 2021, the appointment of NP like all of SL's appointments to this role was conservative, and apparently oblivious to the stats that show there's better beyond these shores.

Are you saying we should have appointed a foriegner, just because they are foriegn?

How do you know who we did and didn't identify?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Like Chris Wilder?

It goes without saying there are exceptions but the vast majority of teams that get out of this division are coached by foreign managers, look what’s happened to Barnsley and Reading this season under foreign managers and they were on the brink of relegation only the season before, there are six foreign managers in the division of which five of them finished in the top seven the other 17 positions being filled by British coaches with the exception of Huddersfield who themselves tasted the Premiership under a foreign coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, chinapig said:

Prince Abdullah said: “Over the past two months, the club has undertaken a rigorous recruitment process in our search for the right person to take Sheffield United forward. We’ve been keenly conscious of the importance of this decision and therefore have considered many strong candidates and have undertaken thorough due diligence. After an exhaustive evaluation, it was evident that Slavisa was the man we needed at the helm.”

A rigorous process and they didn't appoint Heckingbottom but some bloke who has won promotion twice before? This can't be right surely? Isn't Heckingbottom a good human?

Blimey, they have gone a bit over the the top with rigourous and exhaustive. Unless the owner knows Ashton and fancied a bit of a dig. No need to oversell here. Most 4 year olds can tell you Slav would have been a better bet than DH. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Blimey, they have gone a bit over the the top with rigourous and exhaustive. Unless the owner knows Ashton and fancied a bit of a dig. No need to oversell here. Most 4 year olds can tell you Slav would have been a better bet than DH. 

Shame we didn't have a 4 year old on the interview panel then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, bris red said:

Solid appointment that to be honest. With the help of parachute payments I’d imagine they will be there or there about’s next season.

Tough to see past the three relegated teams going straight back up given the managers they have and the players they should be able to hang on to (because there will be minimal interest from teams that could actually afford to buy them.)

And this year, in particular, parachute payments are going to be an unfair advatnage. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, harrys said:

It goes without saying there are exceptions but the vast majority of teams that get out of this division are coached by foreign managers, look what’s happened to Barnsley and Reading this season under foreign managers and they were on the brink of relegation only the season before, there are six foreign managers in the division of which five of them finished in the top seven the other 17 positions being filled by British coaches with the exception of Huddersfield who themselves tasted the Premiership under a foreign coach.

Very misleading picture I'm afraid.  The current situation only arose because, earlier on in the season, most of the less successful foreign managers (e.g. Aitor Karanka, Phillip Cocu, Sabri Lamouchi) were sacked and replaced by English managers.  What on earth were those club owners thinking???

There was a similar picture last season with quite a few underperforming foreign managers being sacked (e.g. Pep Clotet, Jose Gomes, Daniel Stendel, Jan Siewert).

In the previous five seasons, Fulham, Sheff Utd, Villa, Cardiff, Brighton, Burnley and Hull have all managed to get promoted despite the huge handicap of an English manager.

Sorry if that ruins your theory!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I just don’t see it as a same-ish bloke.

SL’s appointments bar Coppell, which was an unmitigated disaster & whoever was at fault it is worth pointing out that he has never managed at Championship level again, are conservative, yes.

Pearson is unlike all the others, someone with a track record of success at this level who wanted the job, for every Ismael there is a Siewert & whilst I know you’d like to see some Dutch unknown I really don’t think now is the time to gamble.

But it's not a "gamble," as the stats indicate. Or not as much of a gamble, on average (if it's SL appointing a foreign coach, that's different/a car crash waiting to happen, and best avoided).

Overseas managers/coaches average a higher ppg than British/Irish ones.

From 92/3 to the end of the 2015/16 season, in the PL, overseas coaches averaged 1.66 ppg, and British/Irish ones 1.29. That's a 14 point swing over 38 games.

In the Football League over the same period, overseas coaches averaged 1.49 ppg, Brit/Irish ones 1.36, a 6 point advantage over 46 games.

 

 

When you say "for every Ismael there is a Siewert" I might reply that, with Nige "for his Leicester triumph there is Derby County or the Belgium club." From what I can tell, Nige is as much of a seeing-off-relegation specialist - an escapologist - as he is a go-to manager for promotion. I think I'm correct in saying Nige has achieved promotions at just one club, he has yet to transfer that magic to another club, like the very best managers do. There are other coaches/managers that have more promotions to their name than Nige. It's a "gamble" pinning promotion hopes on Nige without Walsh and Shakespeare alongside him, as he hasn't had this success without them in his other jobs.

 

So it's nothing to do with "Dutch unknowns," it's simply to do with the cold, hard facts and numbers. There's significantly more capable football coaches working overseas, many of whom seem very keen to come and work here, than our homegrown ones. The old idea that you need someone that "knows the club" or "knows the league" is a myth, nonsense, it does not stand up when the numbers are scrutinised. Trusting in familiar homegrown names is limited, unimaginative, conservative thinking.

David Dein once said, when remembering his appointment of Arsenal Wegner and the reluctance of the Arsenal board: "Any appointment of a manager is always a risk, but these things are calculated risks. I always live by the motto of the turtle and that is: you'll never get anywhere unless you stick your neck out."

When making these appointments SL appears to have played it safe and been governed by fear and caution, mindful of what might go wrong and avoiding that, rather than imagining what could go right and bring glory. If we want at some point to do a bit more than SL has managed - ie, go around in circles - and join the big boys we might have to risk sticking our neck out a bit and becoming a bit more cosmopolitan. Like most other top clubs. But that will likely come when SL moves on. SL "sticking his neck out" was appointing the son of his favourite manager.

 

But as I said, I'm not unhappy with Nige. It's a solid appointment particularly given the state we find ourselves in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

From 92/3 to the end of the 2015/16 season, in the PL, overseas coaches averaged 1.66 ppg, and British/Irish ones 1.29. That's a 14 point swing over 38 games.

Are these figures skewed by a disproportionate number of top foreign coaches being employed by the biggest clubs?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...