IGNORED

Champions League Final Irritation

Red_Alligator

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Who, Pep or Johnson?

Pep played the 'false 9' all season and scored more than anybody else.  Johnson played the 'duff 9' and didn't (even look like scoring.) Odd as LJ kept banging on about how he was on Pep's speed-dial.

What is a false no9 is it similar to a false no10 and they just rotate?

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What is a false no9 is it similar to a false no10 and they just rotate?

If you've seen City this last season you'll be fully aware it's the same as the "False 1 through 77". Players who purport to be so, but aren't 

34 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Now had you said he gave James his debut or signed Havertz you'd have a point ...

But as he played them in an ineffective set-up, well, that's why somebody else is lifting the biggest club trophy with a squad that mostly he had access to.

Agree with that,frank wanted to play attractive football and forgot that without defending you win nowt 

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

Gary Lineker..........and I quote   "We are guaranteed an English winner tonight"   Ha!   There are only 5 English players on the pitch, still I am  looking forward to Man City putting those southern softies in their place?  ? ?

7*

2 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

I'm biased because I've been self-appointed head of his fan club since he scored that screamer against us but how good was Reece James?! Sterling didn't get a kick. Chilwell won the majority of his individual duels as well. Good full back options for the euro's. 

Reece James and N'Golo Kante had 10/10 performances for me.

I also thought James was fantastic against us at AG in 2019. Not surprised by his meteoric rise

7 hours ago, 2015 said:

Reece James and N'Golo Kante had 10/10 performances for me.

I also thought James was fantastic against us at AG in 2019. Not surprised by his meteoric rise

..and I’d give the referee a 10/10 as well. 

An absolute refereeing master-class. Well done that man, never heard or seen him before - but that’s how you do it. 

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

I thought every player for Chelsea were excellent.

Werner gets criticism. Okay his finishing needs improving, but he's one hell of a player in everything else he does.

His movement caused Man City all kinds of problems. And he defended excellently too from the front. Marking or shielding balls into Gundogen.

Zinchenko and Dias were doing fine until Werner would move to the right. Too quick for them.

Him dragging Dias way out of position was key to Chelsea's goal also.

11 hours ago, walnutroof said:

No it’s only 4 from each country so Leicester had they finished 4th would’ve been bumped to the europa league 

Spain have 5 teams in it next season because Villareal won the Europa League

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

An absolute refereeing master-class. Well done that man, never heard or seen him before - but that’s how you do it. 

Typified by the way following Rudiger’s foul on de Bruyne, where both went down injured and required medical treatment, he helped Rudiger up with his right hand whilst showing him a yellow card with his left hand ?.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep Werner's run out to the left cleared more space for the Mount pass to find Havertz.

Man City had just attacked and then a high ball out to Chilwell on the touchline. Walker had to decide whether to go with Mount or with the ball to Chilwell, probably thinking he'd get to Chilwell by the time he brought the high ball under control. But Chilwell made a first time side foot volley pass to Mount who had made a nice bit of movement to receive the pass in a good position. That then dragged Stones out to Mount. So then 2 on 2, or we could say 1 on 1 because of Werner's run. Zinchenko is decent imo but probably not the best player in that position on Havertz.

Obviously you have seen that yourself. But just shows what good movement and quick passing can do. Wasn't really any brilliant individual brilliance from any one individual to make and score that goal. Just great team play, exploiting Man City's weaknesses.

Quite a few times it looked like Chelsea had equal numbers or even an extra man in attacking areas to Man City's defence in the first half. Pep lost the tactical battle for sure.

I'd just add that Gundogan, the nominal holding player, was on the other side of the pitch. That forced Stones to move towards Mount leaving a gap behind him that wasn't filled by Dias thanks to Werner.

Great team play as you say, doubtless worked on for hours in training. More satisfying to a coach than an individual goal I would think.

12 hours ago, cityexile said:

That article actually contradicts itself, firstly saying five spots then further down four with one dropping into the europa league. 

Although obviously it’s irrelevant and was just making the point at least Leicester didn’t have it taken away after thinking they had it 

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne suffered a fractured nose and eye socket in the Champions League final defeat against Chelsea.

The 29-year-old was replaced in the 60th minute by Gabriel Jesus after a collision with Antonio Rudiger.

"I feel okay now. Still disappointed about yesterday obviously but we will be back," he tweeted.

De Bruyne was named in the Belgium squad for Euro 2020, with his country's first game on June 12 against Russia.

There are no indications yet whether the midfielder will be fit for the match in St Petersburg or if his injuries threaten his participation in the rest of the tournament.

20 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne suffered a fractured nose and eye socket in the Champions League final defeat against Chelsea.

The 29-year-old was replaced in the 60th minute by Gabriel Jesus after a collision with Antonio Rudiger.

"I feel okay now. Still disappointed about yesterday obviously but we will be back," he tweeted.

De Bruyne was named in the Belgium squad for Euro 2020, with his country's first game on June 12 against Russia.

There are no indications yet whether the midfielder will be fit for the match in St Petersburg or if his injuries threaten his participation in the rest of the tournament.

Just read that. Rudiger should be done retrospectively for that.... he knew exactly what he was doing, and caused quite an injury with dangerous play

5 hours ago, RedRock said:

Yep was superb. In complete contrast to the Europa final ref who I thought was appalling.  

2 hours ago, Midred said:

Just seen the photo. Did he lead with his shoulder? Even in a physical game like rugby he would have been sent off and received a ban for several matches!

Not sure he did, certainly wasn’t intending to hurt him. It’s the type of body check you see every game, he just held his ground to me

Archived