IGNORED

Chris Brunt

Olé

So what happened when he left City? What was he expecting? Just looking for a more professional diagnosis?

The City injury thing is done to death but this guy literally terminated a deal on the basis of a long term injury.

For a 36 yo to call it quits yet wait only to now to call off his career is a very bad reflection of our medical team.

I guess if he had stayed here he would have been paid a salary until now as he was only on a seasons contract. By leaving early they came to some agreement to terminate it perhaps.

It might have saved us money and left him able to seek other opportunities for employment and even manage his own treatment. If he had stayed here he would have had to follow the clubs medical advice and understanderbly possibly he had little faith in that. 

6 hours ago, Lydered said:

I may be reading/missing something/understanding this the wrong way. Were the medical staff not right though? 

A few months on and he has retired suggests they got it right surely?

Yes, but why let that get in the way of a good conspiracy

8 hours ago, Olé said:

So what happened when he left City? What was he expecting? Just looking for a more professional diagnosis?

The City injury thing is done to death but this guy literally terminated a deal on the basis of a long term injury.

For a 36 yo to call it quits yet wait only to now to call off his career is a very bad reflection of our medical team.

If I recall the reason he gave for leaving was because, as long as he remained signed to the club, he would have had to come to Bristol every day for treatment and, due to the rules of football and COVID, he could not go to a club closer to home for treatment.

By tearing up his contract, he could get treatment at West Brom instead as he was no longer part of a Bristol City bubble. Our medical team had its flaws last season but I think that holds up as a valid reason. 

10 hours ago, Olé said:

Wasn't there something similar with Mica Richards when he was at Villa, everyone knew he was never going to play again, but he had to be seen to be receiving treatment so some sort of insurance policy could be paid.

5 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

If I recall the reason he gave for leaving was because, as long as he remained signed to the club, he would have had to come to Bristol every day for treatment and, due to the rules of football and COVID, he could not go to a club closer to home for treatment.

By tearing up his contract, he could get treatment at West Brom instead as he was no longer part of a Bristol City bubble. Our medical team had its flaws last season but I think that holds up as a valid reason. 

He also may have wanted to see how he felt once recovered from the injury and whether he felt he could still play (or wanted to) for another year or 2 if he found a new club.

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Wasn't there something similar with Mica Richards when he was at Villa, everyone knew he was never going to play again, but he had to be seen to be receiving treatment so some sort of insurance policy could be paid.

Thanks, that's a good explanation. The point I was making (badly) wasn't a conspiracy theory but just whether we should read anything into the delay to this retirement, for example that he'd harboured hopes of rehabilitating elsewhere away from City and playing again after leaving us. He called it quits on his City contract, I didn't expect there was any legal reason he couldn't retire at the same time if that was always his plan. It's not like we were treating him anymore.

5 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I imagine the other thing is he would need treatment anyway, regardless of if he played again  if he goes through the steps of trying to play again, he’d get a better quality of treatment from sports injury professionals with - as you say - the bonus of insurance covering it. 

Archived