IGNORED

so what should I do with all my football videos when I kick the bucket?

I am okay and my wellbeing is not giving me any case for concern.

I have collected football videos since the 1980's pre-recorded and taped off the telly.

It seems very few football followers collect and keep videos and DVD's

You can get most football programmes you might be after,

but you won't get highlights of a football match you might want to view again

So who or what should I pass them onto as I would not like them ending end up in a landfill site

39 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

I have collected football videos since the 1980's pre-recorded and taped off the telly.

So who or what should I pass them onto as I would not like them ending end up in a landfill site

I moved to OZ in 1989 and I used to get my dad to send over VHS tapes to me from matches in the early 90,s. I still have quite a few gathering dust in a cardboard box in the attic.

35 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

36 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Unfortunately it is a reality that while it has been a consuming and interesting hobby for you, not many will want much out of the collection.

When my first wife died, I asked her sisters if they wanted any of her dresses, lots of Laura Ashley so not cheap.

One or two were taken as a keepsake but the rest were not "in fashion" so ended up in a black plastic sack at the recycle centre.

Maybe where most of yours will end up.

How about starting your own YouTube channel and uploading them all?

It will take a while but they are saved for posterity right there as other people can then download them as back-ups.

Why not do it as one game a week and announce it on here? You might even make a few pennies out if it as a by-product.

47 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Digitise all of them on to a computer, otherwise some will get lost or degrade (video). Some of the technology may become redundant, especially videos as the players become less frequently available. It’s a time consuming job unless you are willing to pay someone else but at least they should be safe (as long as you have a back up)

You might get in touch with the History Department at Bristol Uni. What you have is a record of the social history of Bristol which might not be of great value to people who lived through it but could be of great interest in years to come. You want to find an institution with the capacity to digitise and store your material.  

33 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

How about starting your own YouTube channel and uploading them all?

It will take a while but they are saved for posterity right there as other people can then download them as back-ups.

Why not do it as one game a week and announce it on here? You might even make a few pennies out if it as a by-product.

I digitised my old VHS tapes and put them on YouTube a few years ago, but once the Football League clubs started using it I started to get copyright warnings so closed the channel before things got serious

Just now, ashton_fan said:

I digitised my old VHS tapes and put them on YouTube a few years ago, but once the Football League clubs started using it I started to get copyright warnings so closed the channel before things got serious

That’s a shame. YouTube is cracking down on a lot of creators for copyright or just content ??

My brother in law digitised all his home videos during lockdown with a dvd recorder linked to the video player. Then you could upload the files from the dvd on to your pc. You might need to buy an external hard drive to store the files on too. 

I'm currently at university and writing my dissertation on an anthropological history of fan culture and chanting, and using Bristol City as a case study club - if you were to donate them to the club or to a university then you'd leave people like me with an absolute treasure trove of old footage.

You have, as @Red Exile says, a documentation of some of the social history of Bristol and of wider football. It'd be tragic for it to end up in landfill. 

46 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Digitise all of them on to a computer, otherwise some will get lost or degrade (video). Some of the technology may become redundant, especially videos as the players become less frequently available. It’s a time consuming job unless you are willing to pay someone else but at least they should be safe (as long as you have a back up)

I used to quite enjoy running mine through a video editor once in digital form as you can enhance the original by getting the colour, brightness and commentary volumes just right as well as cutting out bits you don't want.

Just now, ashton_fan said:

I used to quite enjoy running mine through a video editor once in digital form as you can enhance the original by getting the colour, brightness and commentary volumes just right as well as cutting out bits you don't want.

Yes it’s quite a nice job when you get into it, you can make it really special. ?

5 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

That would be a lot of cutting for this season?

I would love the Club to have a museum and have recently posed the question to the SLO. Many of us have BCFC related collections / items from over the years, such as your video collection. Would be great to see some of it all in one place, even though the trophy section might be small! 

8 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Well then you only probably have a few minutes of the matches played in the first 3 months of the season to choose any good bits to keep. ?

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

May I suggest taking them out of the bucket and storing them in a cupboard while also moving the bucket to a different location where you can't kick it.

@Never to the dark side, John. There will always be some interest in them, this is proved by the quite lengthy threads on here when someone posts links to old games on YouTube.

I think that digitising and uploading them to the cloud/ a video site, is your best option. There is a project online for future proofing old materials, that may be able to help you do this if you are not confident in what to do. Alternatively maybe @TomF might have a suggestion or 2?

This might help too.

https://vhstodvd.co/blog/five-tips-for-future-proofing-your-digital-media/

15 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

@Never to the dark side, John. There will always be some interest in them, this is proved by the quite lengthy threads on here when someone posts links to old games on YouTube.

I think that digitising and uploading them to the cloud/ a video site, is your best option. There is a project online for future proofing old materials, that may be able to help you do this if you are not confident in what to do. Alternatively maybe @TomF might have a suggestion or 2?

This might help too.

https://vhstodvd.co/blog/five-tips-for-future-proofing-your-digital-media/

Arrgh we literally just threw out a VHS to MP4 converter type thing in work, it's been sat gathering dust for about 10 years. 

Just now, TomF said:

Arrgh we literally just threw out a VHS to MP4 converter type thing in work, it's been sat gathering dust for about 10 years. 

I had one of those for a while, Ion I think the same make as the record deck I had that did the same sort of thing?

I am not sure what happened to mine, I will see what I can find.

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:

I would love the Club to have a museum and have recently posed the question to the SLO. Many of us have BCFC related collections / items from over the years, such as your video collection. Would be great to see some of it all in one place, even though the trophy section might be small! 

You would need a proper archive and archivist. Would be quite a task but would be interesting

Archived