IGNORED

so what should I do with all my football videos when I kick the bucket?

4 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I digitised my old VHS tapes and put them on YouTube a few years ago, but once the Football League clubs started using it I started to get copyright warnings so closed the channel before things got serious

Rick Beato, who does guitar videos, said that what happened to him is that he would make a video about a particular song ("what makes this song great") and then sometimes the copyright owner would make a claim and all the revenue would go to them.

He was exasperated by it because of the time he spent making the video but if you're uploading videos of football games and the same happens then I guess (all it is) that similar might apply.

Then you say "fine" and they get the revenue; NTTDS' motivation is to preserve and share the footage rather than to profit therefrom.

5 hours ago, Bob Taylor is GOD said:

Same here!

I recorded the goals and highlights from every game from the mid !980's to around 2009 on VHS.

I still have them, in a big box.

Me too, multiple seasons of City goals/highlights recorded from Points West and the like, going back to the 80s. They are piled up in a plastic crate in the attic somewhere.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Rick Beato, who does guitar videos, said that what happened to him is that he would make a video about a particular song ("what makes this song great") and then sometimes the copyright owner would make a claim and all the revenue would go to them.

He was exasperated by it because of the time he spent making the video but if you're uploading videos of football games and the same happens then I guess (all it is) that similar might apply.

Then you say "fine" and they get the revenue; NTTDS' motivation is to preserve and share the footage rather than to profit therefrom.

I wasn't getting any revenue they just didn't like me using the material without asking permission, they said if I didn't remove them then I'd be blacklisted and the channel closed down, and that legal action was also possible, it was only old football highlights. It only happened when the Football League started using YouTube (2013?) I'd never had problems before then

7 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Unfortunately it is a reality that while it has been a consuming and interesting hobby for you, not many will want much out of the collection.

When my first wife died, I asked her sisters if they wanted any of her dresses, lots of Laura Ashley so not cheap.

One or two were taken as a keepsake but the rest were not "in fashion" so ended up in a black plastic sack at the recycle centre.

Maybe where most of yours will end up.

How do you know NTTDS wears dresses?

8 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I digitised my old VHS tapes and put them on YouTube a few years ago, but once the Football League clubs started using it I started to get copyright warnings so closed the channel before things got serious

I've got loads on YouTube, never had a problem until I "borrowed" some content to finish a season. Everything I taped personally has been fine.
Here's my channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/1960maaan/videos

@Never to the dark side I had trouble with quality degrading, I'd edited from Betamax to VHS then tried to edit them neater. Because of this the sound and picture quality varies, I wish I'd done it earlier. I quite enjoyed it. Lost a few games due to a mix up, but there are most of our wins or bigger games from 1985 up to about 2006, then a couple of later ones.

9 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

I am okay and my wellbeing is not giving me any case for concern.

I have collected football videos since the 1980's pre-recorded and taped off the telly.

It seems very few football followers collect and keep videos and DVD's

You can get most football programmes you might be after,

but you won't get highlights of a football match you might want to view again

So who or what should I pass them onto as I would not like them ending end up in a landfill site

This is a question many serious collectors face at some point NTTDS as in, who’ll be interested in their collection when they’re gone.

You’ve had a fair few tongue in cheek replies, but as some have pointed out, there is a local history and social history interest here, and you could possibly have some unique footage which isn’t available anywhere else.

As some have suggested, the ideal thing is to digitise your tapes, which makes storage far easier and less prone to damage and degrading with age.  Digitising takes a lot of work and storage memory, but if you can get that done and stored on a portable hard drive, you may find the club could be interested for their archives, or even try the Bristol Record Office.  It would probably worth sounding those out those two before going to the time and expense of digitising though.

The trick is to store it on a medium that’s compact, easily accessible, relatively stable and updatable when needed, which digital is and VHS most definitely isn’t!

There are good converters on Ebay and Amazon, but also a lot of cheap shit that wastes hours of your time and simply doesn’t work.  If you’re serious about going the digital route, feel free to message me. Though my technical knowledge is basic at very best, this is something I’ve looked into for myself and might be able to save you some pain and wasted time and money on the wrong kit.

Good luck with it and it would be a real shame if it didn’t find a good home.

If you can get hold of one, another option could be to get a VHS/DVD writer. I purchased one years ago to convert a load of old videos. Only issue with that is that if they have a copyright protection on, they won't copy across to dvd. In that case I did about half of my VHS, and have yet to do the other half.

With regards to storage, all I did was get a wallet that holds 100+ discs, and takes up no more room than a few thick books would.

2 hours ago, Taz said:

If you can get hold of one, another option could be to get a VHS/DVD writer. I purchased one years ago to convert a load of old videos. Only issue with that is that if they have a copyright protection on, they won't copy across to dvd. In that case I did about half of my VHS, and have yet to do the other half.

With regards to storage, all I did was get a wallet that holds 100+ discs, and takes up no more room than a few thick books would.

Yes, I used to have a dual deck with VHS and DVD, could copy to DVD from VHS with hardly any loss of quality, then the DVD could be read by a video editor on a PC and the output stored in any format you wanted (mp4 usually), gave excellent results

City oz
Bob taylor is god
ashton_fan
onecity

If you want to dispose of your tapes/DVD's?  contact me johngreatwestern@aol.com

sheltons love gravey are you serious and do you want really them?

bristol rob I have approx EIGHT HUNDRED (800) videos not including the DVD recordings from approx 2004

Giving them to a historical club would be an idea

Disposing of video tapes: I know their is one charity shop in clifton that still takes them

although some councils will take them for recycled hard plastiic

Don't think I will be digitalising them it would be just too time consuming

If any one has any more thoughts or comments let I know

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

City oz
Bob taylor is god
ashton_fan
onecity

If you want to dispose of your tapes/DVD's?  contact me johngreatwestern@aol.com

bristol rob I have approx EIGHT HUNDRED (800) videos not including the DVD recordings from approx 2004

Disposing of video tapes: I know their is one charity shop in clifton that still takes them

If you don’t digitise them I’m afraid the video is likely to disintegrate, plus the technology to watch it on will become obsolete. Donating or selling them to someone who can digitise them is really the only option. UWE at Bower Ashton would probably have the technology, and there are also some photographic shops that offer the service but doing it that way would cost a fortune. Would be a shame to lose anything, especially the home/tv recordings. 

Vimeo is a better quality site to upload material to, much better than YouTube, especially if it is for documentation. It does cost more though for subscription.

On 03/06/2021 at 08:50, exAtyeoMax said:

If you don’t digitise them I’m afraid the video is likely to disintegrate, plus the technology to watch it on will become obsolete. Donating or selling them to someone who can digitise them is really the only option. UWE at Bower Ashton would probably have the technology, and there are also some photographic shops that offer the service but doing it that way would cost a fortune. Would be a shame to lose anything, especially the home/tv recordings. 

Vimeo is a better quality site to upload material to, much better than YouTube, especially if it is for documentation. It does cost more though for subscription.

On 03/06/2021 at 07:38, Never to the dark side said:

City oz
Bob taylor is god
ashton_fan
onecity

I am 99% sure that there are universities, colleges, or football clubs that would bite your hand off. Especially sports oriented institutions like Solent, Loughborough, USW, Northumbria, or UCFB. If you could digitalise a few choice selections then that might help.

Please PM me NTTDS, as I'm desperately lacking good audio/footage of Bristol City fans from before the millenium, and this would be a huge help for my dissertation. 

Wouldn't the supporters' club actively desire such a valuable resource?

My membership has lapsed these past twenty years (crikey - I'm old!) but they used to have a collection of memorabilia in a cabinet outside the bar.

Surely they can appoint an archivist to inherit these recordings that John has so assiduously collected.

On 29/05/2021 at 13:55, Eddie Hitler said:

As I said, I have had no real problems with copyright. I have nearly 120 videos spanning from 1985 onwards. The one I did have problems with was a current season goal. The Maynard goal at QPR, I put it online as it was such a great goal and I hadn't seen it anywhere. After 250,000 views and Youtube contacting me about advertising (which I wasn't interested in anyway), I was contacted and the video was blocked. I did try and put up some more recent content that was ripped from online to try and keep the flow of the years. That was flagged until I edited it. Never had an issue with older stuff.

23 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Wouldn't the supporters' club actively desire such a valuable resource?

My membership has lapsed these past twenty years (crikey - I'm old!) but they used to have a collection of memorabilia in a cabinet outside the bar.

Surely they can appoint an archivist to inherit these recordings that John has so assiduously collected.

I have always wondered why the club has not archived games from over the years, they could make money from the views. They should also find it easier to access content. I've never had any luck trying to contact TV channels, had some pleasant reply but no clips. Those first division years would be brilliant to see , not sure if the footage that Johnathon Pearce's Dad took would be good enough quality, or even still around, but would be fantastic viewing.

Archived