IGNORED

N’golo Kante

MC RISK77

What a player and having an immense game so far tonight … scouted by Walsh and signed the summer after Pearson left Leicester so clearly on his radar for a while…. Done to death I know but seriously some of the Leicester scouting over the years has been superb… mahrez, vardy, tielemans, Justin, fofana, peirerea

Interestingly enough there was a bit in The Times about some of Leicester's scouting, in particular 

Steve Walsh himself in fact. Sadly no clues about his future but what was quite interesting was a bit that said the scouting of Kante was largely analytical based.

Something that might not find favour with a few on here but Analytics and similar for Kante, was a large part according to Walsh.

A couple of quotes.

"With N'Golo Kante, who we signed from Caen for around £5m, that was pretty much stats-driven in terms of his ability to regain the ball."

"We used the websites that were available at the time. I don't know if WyScout was as well advanced, as it is now. It could have been Scout7, which we used."

He has very good pace to make quick breaks through midfield.

Pace is one of the prime considerations that NP has mentioned for players. Ability to make a break and leave defenders trailing or just as important, to catch attackers who think they have broken through our defence.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Interestingly enough there was a bit in The Times about some of Leicester's scouting, in particular 

Steve Walsh himself in fact. Sadly no clues about his future but what was quite interesting was a bit that said the scouting of Kante was largely analytical based.

Something that might not find favour with a few on here but Analytics and similar for Kante, was a large part according to Walsh.

Analytics is very important as Brentford have shown. But you need to have the best tools and the best analysts you can get. Which may not be so in our case.

4 minutes ago, Waffleflap said:

Best player on the pitch. Broke everything up. James and Chilwell excellent n all 

Possibly one of the best defensive midfield displays I have seen, especially in a big game. That challenge on about 92 minutes on Mahrez was so cool.

46 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A couple of quotes.

"With N'Golo Kante, who we signed from Caen for around £5m, that was pretty much stats-driven in terms of his ability to regain the ball."

"We used the websites that were available at the time. I don't know if WyScout was as well advanced, as it is now. It could have been Scout7, which we used."

Nah, I reckon they just scoured @Davefevs‘s spreadsheets ... all the analysis you need is there ...

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nah, I reckon they just scoured @Davefevs‘s spreadsheets ... all the analysis you need is there ...

Haha.

Just looked Wyscout data for Kante, simple sorting on defensive duels and win% has him right up there in Prem DMs….unsurprisingly.  Then add in interceptions and “possession adjusted” interceptions he’s top.

I can only imagine that even as a novice analyst you could pluck out a few stats, put them in a scatter chart, and think Kante would be worth scouting if initially video only.  The trick is to do that when he was Caen.

As a simple test, I just took the Belgium Jupiler League (Top flight) and looked at CMs, 24 and under, 1000 mins plus.

A4AC32F6-05A4-4497-8FED-F025BEAF9242.thumb.jpeg.50f8d35bb0b0389be47a3bc92347d113.jpeg

Who appears in the top right or top or right, I.e. better than average in more than one chart looking at “Duels”.  I found J.Vanlerberghe of Mechelen.  Jordi, is actually predominantly a CB, but can play in CM…that might explain why he is good aerially, one of the best in the league, and good defensively.  But my data is comparing him to midfielders so he’s gonna stand out.

I then check out his passing, and it’s surprisingly good for a CB…compared to midfielders.  The opposite to what I was expecting.

Etc etc.

Bit more digging and you find out he’s played for Mechelen from a kid, went to Brugge, had a couple of loans (one back at Mechelen), and played in all Belgium National age group teams from 16s to 21s. I might discard at this point because I want a DM…but I’d be tempted to have a bit of a look at video.  He might be a good ball playing CB.

So it’s pretty easy to do some basic digging, to at least start you off in a direction.

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

So it’s pretty easy to do some basic digging, to at least start you off in a direction

So if I asked you to do some digging around this bloke I've heard great things of, goes by the name of Engvald, what can you tell me?

11 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

So if I asked you to do some digging around this bloke I've heard great things of, goes by the name of Engvald, what can you tell me?

When I speak to Jordi Vanlerberghe, I’ll ask him to give me a run down on his teammate Gustav. ???

The data is there, and widely available now - there's no excuse for a club at our level not to have it in my opinion.

The game has evolved from where having access to the data gave you the edge a few years ago, to the interpretation being what matters now as even amateurs have access to incredible amounts. Personally I'd make it our highest priority to build and improve our data analytics, and keep it a healthy mix of both football AND non footballing people - I think they're equally as important. You need non football people to take an objective view and spot what others might not, and football folk to ground it in what translates to working on the pitch.

Now maybe if you're L2 it's not important as players aren't going to be flying across Europe to join you, but if you can get it right at our level it's an incredible asset. I don't understand people who say it's all about seeing players in the flesh, or trot out some stupid "damned lies and statistics" quote. That's a recipe for getting left behind.

8 hours ago, grifty said:

6 of your last 10 posts have been Johnson related? What an odd obsession!

Or they relate to what managers can do when acquiring decent players, motivating them and playing them in sensible formation.

Hard not to draw parallels with the failings that have brought City so low. As NP is finding out it'll take years to repair the damage left behind.

11 hours ago, IAmNick said:

The data is there, and widely available now - there's no excuse for a club at our level not to have it in my opinion.

The game has evolved from where having access to the data gave you the edge a few years ago, to the interpretation being what matters now as even amateurs have access to incredible amounts. Personally I'd make it our highest priority to build and improve our data analytics, and keep it a healthy mix of both football AND non footballing people - I think they're equally as important. You need non football people to take an objective view and spot what others might not, and football folk to ground it in what translates to working on the pitch.

Now maybe if you're L2 it's not important as players aren't going to be flying across Europe to join you, but if you can get it right at our level it's an incredible asset. I don't understand people who say it's all about seeing players in the flesh, or trot out some stupid "damned lies and statistics" quote. That's a recipe for getting left behind.

It’s definitely about the blend.

The analysts I’m aware of who’ve managed to land jobs at pro clubs, are crunching data, but they’re also watching hours of football per day too, some player specific clips, some full 90s (often at 1.5x / 2.0x speed), etc.

But you can’t do it all by video and data, sometimes you have to watch them live, watch their body language, what they do when the tv camera isn’t on them.

16 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

What a player and having an immense game so far tonight … scouted by Walsh and signed the summer after Pearson left Leicester so clearly on his radar for a while…. Done to death I know but seriously some of the Leicester scouting over the years has been superb… mahrez, vardy, tielemans, Justin, fofana, peirerea

To think that Sarri the previous manager couldn’t work out how to get him in the side is crazy. 

First name on the team sheet. He’s effectively two players. 

On 29/05/2021 at 23:24, Davefevs said:

Haha.

Just looked Wyscout data for Kante, simple sorting on defensive duels and win% has him right up there in Prem DMs….unsurprisingly.  Then add in interceptions and “possession adjusted” interceptions he’s top.

I can only imagine that even as a novice analyst you could pluck out a few stats, put them in a scatter chart, and think Kante would be worth scouting if initially video only.  The trick is to do that when he was Caen.

As a simple test, I just took the Belgium Jupiler League (Top flight) and looked at CMs, 24 and under, 1000 mins plus.

A4AC32F6-05A4-4497-8FED-F025BEAF9242.thumb.jpeg.50f8d35bb0b0389be47a3bc92347d113.jpeg

Who appears in the top right or top or right, I.e. better than average in more than one chart looking at “Duels”.  I found J.Vanlerberghe of Mechelen.  Jordi, is actually predominantly a CB, but can play in CM…that might explain why he is good aerially, one of the best in the league, and good defensively.  But my data is comparing him to midfielders so he’s gonna stand out.

I then check out his passing, and it’s surprisingly good for a CB…compared to midfielders.  The opposite to what I was expecting.

Etc etc.

Bit more digging and you find out he’s played for Mechelen from a kid, went to Brugge, had a couple of loans (one back at Mechelen), and played in all Belgium National age group teams from 16s to 21s. I might discard at this point because I want a DM…but I’d be tempted to have a bit of a look at video.  He might be a good ball playing CB.

So it’s pretty easy to do some basic digging, to at least start you off in a direction.

Dave why are you not on the city recruitment team 

Archived