IGNORED

Is Pep that good?

WOODSY1111

Genuine question as IMO Barcelona with that team of world class players, same at Bayern Munich and at Man City with those stand out players and a squad of 3 competent teams? Has he progressed young players to be in those squads? At Man City he has bought a team, times 3 and what youth players has he made? Phil Foden maybe or has that lad been held back? Who else has he made from young unknown to world class?

6 minutes ago, WOODSY1111 said:

Genuine question as IMO Barcelona with that team of world class players, same at Bayern Munich and at Man City with those stand out players and a squad of 3 competent teams? Has he progressed young players to be in those squads? At Man City he has bought a team, times 3 and what youth players has he made? Phil Foden maybe or has that lad been held back? Who else has he made from young unknown to world class?

It’s easy to win leagues when you have a ridiculous squad,winning cups is different and comes down to tactical nous,he doesn’t seem to have it,I think myself or even lJ would of won it with Barcelona with messi and that team(alright I’m stretching it a bit with lJ)

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s easy to win leagues when you have a ridiculous squad,winning cups is different and comes down to tactical nous,he doesn’t seem to have it,I think myself or even lJ would of won it with Barcelona with messi and that team(alright I’m stretching it a bit with lJ)

That last sentence made me laugh.

4 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I do wonder about all these ‘top coaches’. Stick them in L2 with zero budget and see if they can build success rather than be handed it by buying it!

Let him take control of Nottingham forest. 

Let's see if he wins the champions league back to back within 5 years of taking over. 

No Messi, no Iniesta, no xavi, no party.

17 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I do wonder about all these ‘top coaches’. Stick them in L2 with zero budget and see if they can build success rather than be handed it by buying it!

I do think there is truth in these kind of comments, but I think it also works the other way. Very good championship, L1/L2 managers would not be able to handle and develop clubs like Man City. 

10 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Give Warnock 300 ******* Mil and he would have produced that performance but Man City would have had 3 players sent off... Tuchel should not be applauded fir that shit show tonight I’m sorry.. killing the game

I thought Chelsea were very good, first half was excellent football.

He is a successful manager of the best players in the world. You can take that a few ways bust basically if he doesn't have the best players in the world in each position he isn't going to be successful. 

There have been better managers than him for sure that have done more with less. 

49 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

Give Warnock 300 ******* Mil and he would have produced that performance but Man City would have had 3 players sent off... Tuchel should not be applauded fir that shit show tonight I’m sorry.. killing the game

If that is your view, I'm afraid you don't understand football.

Before I wrote anything, he's an outstanding coach, I'm simply talking about levels of greatness 

Too often pep beats pep, at the highest level it takes genius to beat him or pep himself. In my opinion, when assessing greatness the first is acceptable, the second less so. He beat himself v Leon last year, and the same v Chelsea this year. 

There are also few managers who can spend 17mil on a keeper then replace without even needing to sell first. 

Great coach, changed the game, of that there is no doubt. But in terms of absolute greatness I would put him just below peak clough, peak Jose, peak sir Alex and even peak simeone. 

Many will disagree i am sure, but in the biggest games, In the biggest moments they thrive, while pep has a too common a habit of popping over the insanity/genius line 

He's a brilliant manager. He has consistently produced teams who play very high quality, exciting, winning football. I think it's fair to say he has had a notable influence on the evolution of footballing tactics. He's also developed players really effectively. 

Yes, he's had a hell of a lot of money to spend. But he's competing with other teams/managers that spend a hell of a lot.

Given what's happened at Bristol City in recent years, we should be well aware that being a good side isn't as simple as spending a lot on players....

Bizarre thread. He’s still up there with the best in the world. He over analysed the game tonight which he has been known to do in other big games but he has taken every club he’s been at into the level. 

The Barcelona squad he managed in 2009-2011 era is one of the finest teams ever assembled. Despite having some of the best in the world, he had them purring like no other world class manager has. He did the same at Bayern and achieved a Premier League records points total with Manchester City. 

Believe it or not, there’s a reason why Michael Duff of Cheltenham Town or Grant McCann are not in line to replace Pep when he moves on and are unlikely to replicate such feats.

For all the cash swimming around at this level I actually got more pleasure watching the second leg of FGR v Newport........real world players having a proper go in terrible conditions.

Watching lasts nights rolling around,feigned injuries every time there was a tackle is just as anti football as some would claim  a Warnock team to be, if that’s the very highest level you can keep it.

2 hours ago, Peter1450 said:

For all the cash swimming around at this level I actually got more pleasure watching the second leg of FGR v Newport........real world players having a proper go in terrible conditions.

Watching lasts nights rolling around,feigned injuries every time there was a tackle is just as anti football as some would claim  a Warnock team to be, if that’s the very highest level you can keep it.

Its a massive shame if you didn't enjoy last nights game. It was excellent. High paced, end to end, the ball control was superb, you could see the tactics of both teams.

If you prefer to watch two lower league teams hoofing it forward on a cabbage patch (I know FGR's actually isn't)

Great managers lose matches (though fewer than bad ones.)

Better way to look at it would be to ask how good was his opposing manager last night? Since his arrival at Chelsea Tuchel's defensive tactics have been peerless.

13 minutes ago, grifty said:

Its a massive shame if you didn't enjoy last nights game. It was excellent. High paced, end to end, the ball control was superb, you could see the tactics of both teams.

If you prefer to watch two lower league teams hoofing it forward on a cabbage patch (I know FGR's actually isn't)

Obviously technically on a different level, I’m just not sure why anyone would call the blatant cheating at this level enjoyable.

As for the hoofing it forwards, isn’t that what Man City did towards the end when they finally realised they weren’t going to break down Chelsea with the technical tippy tappy out from the keeper game.

I didn't watch last night's game as I have little interest in the CL, and none at all when played by teams who entered the competition as champions of sod all. However, with regard to Pep, yes he's that good. He may not of won a CL with the Citizens yet but his sides have been the team everyone has to beat domestically. It is not a given that managing big teams with big budgets and star international players means success. Star players often mean big egos which have to be carefully managed and it takes a top man manager to do that. Teams might be limited to 25 players in the PL and CL but only 18 can make the match day squad and only 16 can play. Takes a big man to leave out uninjured star players and retain their confidence. 

Having played Chelsea this season and not doing very well.....Pep figured that a more attacking line up may work in his favour. However he was again outsmarted by Tuchel who got his team shape absolutely spot on. Defensively they restricted Man City to one shot on target and given the firepower City have that’s quite remarkable.

I’m delighted that Chelsea won.

10 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Yes, he's on Johnson's speed-dial.....

Johnson who ? which one Gary wanna be a club manager or his love child that played mid field that then became a manager and hood winked everyone.

Archived