IGNORED

Aaron Wilbraham - nice story

bcfc01

Good bloke is our Albi Wilbs. I remember him getting that crucial goal. Ollie must be well chuffed that Wanderers have climbed out of League 2 not least because the town has avoided being overrun by 1000s of the Great Unwashed next season. 

1 minute ago, RidgeRed said:

Good bloke is our Albi Wilbs. I remember him getting that crucial goal. Ollie must be well chuffed that Wanderers have climbed out of League 2 not least because the town has avoided being overrun by 1000s of the Great Unwashed next season. 

You accidentally wrote "1000s" when you met to write "a few dozen" there, RR. 

29 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Great story . What a fantastic player and role model he was for us . And many other clubs. When he signed for us I was underwhelmed but how wrong I was. We miss characters like him at Ashton Gate 

Aint that the truth.

Top bloke is Wilbs. I shall be eternally grateful that we got to say our goodbyes in an appropriate manner when he came on as sub for Bolton that night at AG. The whole ground standing and applauding him made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - I felt so proud to be a City fan at that moment.

Huge fan.

Aside from the fact that he scored 20 in our promotion season after being totally slagged off on here when he signed, he was such a smart pro, when he came on as sub he frequently let the opposition know he was about with a sharp challenge & certainly took no messing.

Brilliant signing for us.

Easily cotts best signing imo. With Wade Elliott we had real leaders on the pitch and off for the young at the time, Smith, Pack, Freeman, Cunningham, Williams, Flint to look up to. A couple of able pros who had been there and done that. 

Wilbs was outstanding all season and is a top bloke as well. Wade Elliott is responsible for one of my favourite AG moments. His error leading to Afobe to score for MK Dons... never seen someone so determined to right his wrong, that run to get the ball back and the cool finish to top it off. The celebration was class as well. 

4 hours ago, candygram for mongo said:

Apparently when at City “ran the dressing room”

The value of that type of leader can not be under estimated, can’t imagine we had one last season.

I think you mean "cannot be over estimated" - or possibly "should not be under estimated". "Cannot be under estimated" would means its really poor.

Sorry. Pedantic I know, but couldn't resist - its one usage that's been really bugging me recently and it's often football commentators that do it!

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

I think you mean "cannot be over estimated" - or possibly "should not be under estimated". "Cannot be under estimated" would means its really poor.

Sorry. Pedantic I know, but couldn't resist - its one usage that's been really bugging me recently and it's often football commentators that do it!

Blimey, I’ve been schooled, I stand corrected 

Great guy and a clever signing by Cotts. Part of a wonderful “team” that was put together.

Goes to show that you can spend millions on individuals but if you can get the right blend then its worth more than “marquee” vanity signings, the likes of which we have seen as standard since SC left the club.

There would have been few that would have chose Alby as our sharp edge that season but he was perfect for SC’s vision.

Proper pro, proper bloke. I will always wish him well and hope to see him back at the Gate in some capacity in the future as I am sure he will be a big success on the coaching side of the game.

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Huge fan.

Aside from the fact that he scored 20 in our promotion season after being totally slagged off on here when he signed ...

Ooh, Captain Hindsight! When we signed Wilbs he’d scored a total of 3 goals in 5 five seasons - given that track record you were obviously shouting all the dissenters down insisting he’d score 20 goals pretty soon?! The impact he had at Ashton Gate was amazing and Cotts definitely reignited Wilbs - but to suggest you knew he’d come good after his previous record is pretty laughable ...

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ooh, Captain Hindsight! When we signed Wilbs he’d scored a total of 3 goals in 5 five seasons - given that track record you were obviously shouting all the dissenters down insisting he’d score 20 goals pretty soon?! The impact he had at Ashton Gate was amazing and Cotts definitely reignited Wilbs - but to suggest you knew he’d come good after his previous record is pretty laughable ...

Have a dig out of my posts, I certainly wasn’t claiming he would score 20, he never had before, but there were some not averse to it.

He’d spent some of that time in the Prem, so barely played.

I absolutely wrote him off before he'd kicked a ball for us, I was up in arms about him signing and for the life of me couldn't work out why we'd brought him in.

I've never been more wrong about anything in my life.

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Have a dig out of my posts, I certainly wasn’t claiming he would score 20, he never had before, but there were some not averse to it.

He’d spent some of that time in the Prem, so barely played.

Fair play Graham - cheers for the reply. I remember being bemused at signing a guy to play up front who hadn’t scored any significant amount of goals for years and years - so I totally got why people questioned this signing. All were obviously proved wrong but the initial questioning of the signing was totally understandable - I just thought your initial post suggested you knew he’d come good despite his woeful record in several years before joining us ... apologies, I obviously misunderstood 

Archived