IGNORED

Joe Morrell ready to leave Luton

4 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

I just dont think hes that great.... not at championship level anyway.

I think it's hard to judge given that he has played single digit number of games in the Championship. In time it may well be the case, but I would be wary of drawing such conclusions on the basis of so few games and at 24yo.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Wasn’t there an outcry on here to play him in City’s first 11? the argument being that he was playing internationally for Wales.

It seem he can’t get into the Luton first 11 either............:dunno:

Luton finished well above us Robbo. 
I think he’d have started a fair few games here last season had he stayed. Luton’s midfield last year was a lot stronger than ours. 

• Like 2

So some people up in arms when he left, "He would have been great with Williams" etc. A lot of people were surprised at where he ended up - myself included.

Season finishes - he has played more international games than league games.

Maybe we were actually right on this one by letting him go when we did?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, GlastonburyRed said:

I think it's hard to judge given that he has played single digit number of games in the Championship. In time it may well be the case, but I would be wary of drawing such conclusions on the basis of so few games and at 24yo.

Id love to see a city youth player do well, but hes had years to make practically no appearances,,,, if he was up to it then he would have had game time with us or luton.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Luton finished well above us Robbo. 
I think he’d have started a fair few games here last season had he stayed. Luton’s midfield last year was a lot stronger than ours. 

I think I can say with some confidence that he’d not have started many games for us, because he’d have struggled with a recurrent hamstring injury. 😌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Taz said:

So some people up in arms when he left, "He would have been great with Williams" etc. A lot of people were surprised at where he ended up - myself included.

Season finishes - he has played more international games than league games.

Maybe we were actually right on this one by letting him go when we did?

How dare you suggest that! As with any player who plays youth football in a 100 mile radius of Bristol that goes on to play at least 1 top three division appearance it's a failure of the club.

• Haha 2

A few here making a “should be a regular in a side because he plays for Wales” narrative here.

Wales are not where they were in 2016 and if they were a Championship side would likely finish mid to lower half (maybe League One standard without Bale), so should not be a surprise that he is not good enough for Luton, and certainly is not good enough for us if we were to kick on.

Good luck to him. Having had the success he did at Lincoln, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go back there, and I think he was suggesting that's where his next move will be (league one, not necessarily Lincoln) - look what a season at L1 level did for Walsh, I think he knows a step down wouldn't necessarily be bad for his development and with that attitude should have a fairly stable career ahead of him.

He is a capable player for the wales squad(which admittedly ranges in ability from Champions League to Johnstone's Paint at times), I don't think anyone's suggested having him back here but I think it's out of the question for both parties (It wouldn't do him any good because the only experienced players we have, that could guide him, are Bentley, Kalas, Nagy & WIlliams).

I hope to read of his miraculous rise in years to come but don't think the timings were right for him at City. I remember seeing him play against Wycombe in the JPT and we were abject, I felt almost guilty that an academy player had to be a part of that side. He did come back to play a couple of times but his loan spell proved he was further into his development than a spot on the bench at the end of the season.

Was he not pretty good against Ipswich away a few years back when he came on for an injured Walsh? or was that the other way round...

Edited by solihull cider red
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

Good luck to him. Having had the success he did at Lincoln, it wouldn't surprise me to see him go back there, and I think he was suggesting that's where his next move will be

Was he not pretty good against Ipswich away a few years back when he came on for an injured Walsh? or was that the other way round...

Yes, he was.

Bizarrely that game was his sole league appearance for us. Brownhill was suspended so Walsh started, he went off injured (& was subsequently out for 3 or 4 months, sounds familiar...) so Morrell came on as sub.

Mad game, we won 3-2, after being 1-0 & 2-1 down.

6 hours ago, One Team said:

Something doesn’t quite seem right here to me. 

Didn’t make it here for whatever reason (not good enough, outside influences?) and now hasn’t made it at Luton either? The statement sounds a bit like he thinks he’s too good for Luton? 

I am sure he will get another club but you’d think it really needs to work out wherever it is. 

That's just way off target!!  Joe is a dedicated and honest footballer who has been constantly messed around by Bristol City and Luton.  He just wants to play football, God knows why Luton signed him, as he has been left out of their side due to the managers preference for a different formation.  He is a Welsh international who just needs to find a club who will play to his strengths and pick him on a regular basis, he is more than good enough........just needs a manager who trusts him..  

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Yes, he was.

Bizarrely that game was his sole league appearance for us. Brownhill was suspended so Walsh started, he went off injured (& was subsequently out for 3 or 4 months, sounds familiar...) so Morrell came on as sub.

Mad game, we won 3-2, after being 1-0 & 2-1 down.

Lasting images of that match are of the young JM, on his league debut as you say, geeing up his older and more experienced teammates immediately after a City goal, and telling them to calm down and hold on/go for the winner - I can’t recall which.

• Like 2

Without wanting to be controversial i never really understood the clamour for him to be starting in our midfield. I think he's a neat and tidy player who can have a decent Lg1/Lg2 career but i don't think he's got enough to be a regular Champ midfielder.

Unfortunately, due to his size he needs to excel in posession and he hasn't got the x factor to dominate games.

People will say he's a Welsh international but nowadays that doesn't actually mean that much, infact Roy Keane said similar in a recent interview.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

A few here making a “should be a regular in a side because he plays for Wales” narrative here.

Wales are not where they were in 2016 and if they were a Championship side would likely finish mid to lower half (maybe League One standard without Bale), so should not be a surprise that he is not good enough for Luton, and certainly is not good enough for us if we were to kick on.

Given a specific role for Wales, and incredibly disciplined in that role….that’s why Giggs and Page up to now have picked him.  They trust him.  They don’t trust Ampadu in there, hence why Joe has started important games.

In some ways that’s to his detriment because he has more to his game than that.  But it probably means he gets caps as there are probably better players than him in the other midfield roles.

3 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

Without wanting to be controversial i never really understood the clamour for him to be starting in our midfield. I think he's a neat and tidy player who can have a decent Lg1/Lg2 career but i don't think he's got enough to be a regular Champ midfielder.

Unfortunately, due to his size he needs to excel in posession and he hasn't got the x factor to dominate games.

People will say he's a Welsh international but nowadays that doesn't actually mean that much, infact Roy Keane said similar in a recent interview.

Yep, maybe, although we never really got the chance to see if he could.  He was good in his City appearances, bar a poor first half v PL Wolves, when we were poor as a team.  Bolton in the FA Cup especially.

He may be more suited to the way Wales play than club level Championship.

Luton, in hindsight was a bad move, but Nathan Jones really wanted him….but then went back to playing Rea in midfield.

He’ll have plenty of interest this summer, Euros is a nice shop window for him.  And at least we will have “one of our own” at the Euros.

13 hours ago, Northern Red said:

?

The quote literally says "It's about playing regularly regardless of the level".

Odd that he would come out with such a remark ahead of Luton going public; well one assumes they have not. I think your response, to the other poster, is accurate because that is what Morrell has said. However, I can understand why the other poster said it. 

Morrell may have an attitude that does not endear him to people that easily. Have I missed this in any discussions?

12 hours ago, nebristolred said:

I feel like there was a choice between him and Walsh at the time, knowing one would block the other, and we went with Walsh. That’s my hunch anyway

That worked out well then!!

12 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He couldn’t get in Luton’s starting 11

He would of got in ours by a country mile!

Wonder why Luton took him then? 

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Given a specific role for Wales, and incredibly disciplined in that role….that’s why Giggs and Page up to now have picked him.  They trust him.  They don’t trust Ampadu in there, hence why Joe has started important games.

In some ways that’s to his detriment because he has more to his game than that.  But it probably means he gets caps as there are probably better players than him in the other midfield roles.

Yep, maybe, although we never really got the chance to see if he could.  He was good in his City appearances, bar a poor first half v PL Wolves, when we were poor as a team.  Bolton in the FA Cup especially.

He may be more suited to the way Wales play than club level Championship.

Luton, in hindsight was a bad move, but Nathan Jones really wanted him….but then went back to playing Rea in midfield.

He’ll have plenty of interest this summer, Euros is a nice shop window for him.  And at least we will have “one of our own” at the Euros.

You could well be right Dave. To be fair, i never saw anything in Bobby Reid until LJ pushed him up front, and then before you know it, he's a 10 million pound player holding his own in The Prem!

It may just be that things haven't fallen right for Joe yet and he is waiting for the break he needs.

9 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

What it does mean is that he gets the experience of playing international football and against some of the world’s best players which can only improve him.

Bale as a teammate is not too shabby either. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

What a daft comment.

You genuinely think that a team with Ramsey (Juventus - Serie A) Dan James (Man Utd - Prem) Tyler Roberts (Leeds - Prem) Ampadu - (Chelsea/Sheff U - prem) Kieffer Moore (4th top scorer in champ) Harry wilson =3rd top assists in champ. Joe Rodon (Spurs - Prem) Ben Davies (Spurs - Prem) Neco Williams (Liverpool - Prem), Cabango/Mepham (top end champ) before you even get to Bale would finish lower Championship or League 1 standard!

Morrell is a tidy midfielder and tenacious, needs to be played with other players with complimentary strengths e.g. Ampadu with wales who is more physical/taller and an 8/10 like Ramsey/Wilson who can be more free and creative. He is the glue and the worker rather than one that does anything too spectacular. Would have liked to see him in a 3 here with a more physical player like Williams (if not injured) and someone more creative like Palmer in the more attacking/free role. One of the biggest problems with our midfield this season (in my opinion) is not that the individual players are particularly bad, we just never had the right balance between their different strengths. We were always either a) not physical enough b) not tidy enough or c) not creative enough depending on who was picked in there.

10 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Wonder why Luton took him then? 

I think they bought him rather than took him. Nevertheless question for them. 

They finished well above us and had a good run in with or without Morrell starting. We were awful in midfield with only HNM putting in any discernible effort. Morrell keeps the ball moving, we could have used that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

What a daft comment.

Morrell is a tidy midfielder and tenacious,  He is the glue and the worker rather than one that does anything too spectacular. 

Probably quite a fair assessment, especially given his Welsh connections....😉.

Seriously, though, ignoring whether he is wearing a coat or a jacket, he does seem to be something of a busy bee - I question, however, whether he is better in that role than Massengo: frankly, I don't really think so. 

• Haha 1