IGNORED

Swansea, Man City, Lincoln, Sean Dyche

Hampshire Red

Has the world of football gone off the scale mad? What is it with the media hype that makes key matches and managers seem exciting yet in reality it is just rubbish!

As a City fan for 50 years i have seen great football, mediocre football and some desperate times for the club. The past 5, 6, 7 years have been some of the best despite the challenges of the last season 

There have been 3 real losers this  weekend; Swansea get to 'our league' P.O final and have zero shots on target - how rubbish is that after playing 48 gmaes trying to get to the EPL? Lincoln played today to try to get up into our league and after 48 games got to their P.O final and had zero shots on target.

Man City are a great team, one of the best the game has ever seen. After bad tactics, poor management and from the 42nd min',  they fail to register a single shot on target in the biggest match of the season; how rubbish is that?

Sean Dyche has often been punted as one of the EPL's best mangers and has done well for Burnley during his time there, with relegation included. In the season just past his side played (usually) awful football, often had less than 30% possession, were usually last on MoTD, often had less than 2 shots on targert, finished one place above a disastrous relegation to our league and is rewarded with a massive salary plus a £3m bonus - for a rubbish season!

What the hell have we all signed up to with the hype and media saturation that is football today?

• The title was changed to Swansea, Man City, Lincoln, Sean Dyche
18 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Has the world of football gone off the scale mad? What is it with the media hype that makes key matches and managers seem exciting yet in reality it is just rubbish!

As a City fan for 50 years i have seen great football, mediocre football and some desperate times for the club. The past 5, 6, 7 years have been some of the best despite the challenges of the last season 

There have been 3 real losers this  weekend; Swansea get to 'our league' P.O final and have zero shots on target - how rubbish is that after playing 48 gmaes trying to get to the EPL? Lincoln played today to try to get up into our league and after 48 games got to their P.O final and had zero shots on target.

Man City are a great team, one of the best the game has ever seen. After bad tactics, poor management and from the 42nd min',  they fail to register a single shot on target in the biggest match of the season; how rubbish is that?

Sean Dyche has often been punted as one of the EPL's best mangers and has done well for Burnley during his time there, with relegation included. In the season just past his side played (usually) awful football, often had less than 30% possession, were usually last on MoTD, often had less than 2 shots on targert, finished one place above a disastrous relegation to our league and is rewarded with a massive salary plus a £3m bonus - for a rubbish season!

What the hell have we all signed up to with the hype and media saturation that is football today?

I think there needs to be an enquiry immediately. What a terrible season for Burnley and rather than the points they accumulated meaning anything at all, they should be relegated straight-away as they are chosen last sometimes for a BBC highlights programme. How did this make it past the rule-makers of our once great game.

There's a first time for everything and I applaud you expressing your opinion in this way. I think you're wide of the mark with Dyche, as given their budget keeping Burnley in the Premier League is an achievement. But your remarks about the others are a valid viewpoint. When you make it a Major final not to have a shot on target is beyond disappointing. I didn't watch the CL as I had no interest in the event but Swansea were hugely disappointing. Lincoln were marginally better in a slightly more entertaining game but it was like watching another team which plays in red, OK up to in and around the box but doesn't shoot when presented the opportunity. 

55 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I've a couple of years on you & if you seriously think anything in the past 5 'City years' has been some of the best on offer I'd love to understand by what criteria you reach that decision? In respect of entertainment & fun they don't come close, they've been dross. Had more fun watching 'honest' unknowns plummeting through the leagues than watching the likes of Watkins & O'Dowda trouser huge sums each week for dialling-in abject sh*te. They're no better technically than most 3rd division players we've enjoyed over the years.

Is the standard of football better than days of yore? Well, players are fitter (they should be,) playing conditions and equipment are vastly improved, but having started in days when it was difficult to cross the ball because it was sodden rather than an utter inability technically to hit the ball correctly, I'm not so certain the standard of play has improved that much. Officiating certainly is far worse, fans attention and knowledge of the game likewise and the pretty much sterile atmosphere in the stands is, let's be blunt, crap by comparison to standing on the terrace with ones mates.

But to your argument, NO. Last night's game was a brilliant game to watch. If for you sport is about 'shots on target' and 'scoring' stick to squeaky daps and basketball. As ever was there's plenty of great football and plenty of dross. Only thing that's ever changed is fans (sic) unrealistic expectations. In my years we've won little and when we did it was Micky Mouse. I know where City stand in the scheme of things. Most modern fans (sic) think football, like the rest of their society, demands equality, acceptance and universal understanding. That everyone's a winner, or can identify with whatever success they like. They are, of course, deluded.

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

The modern game is all about possession and not giving the ball away not like the years gone by where you had two wingers constantly attacking defenders and getting crosses into the box for a big forward to attack 

Did Chelsea not win with less possession?

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

You seem to have described 4 things that are basically completely disconnected from each other...and then declared that because all 4 have happened there's a pattern that shows that football as an entire abstract concept is overhyped, "off the scale mad", and at a point of saturated media coverage?

You can just as easily flip it around and say (briefly) that the following prove football is bloody brilliant.

Blackpool's recovery from being asset stripped by an odious family. A resurgence of a fine club and a feel good story that shows fan power still has something going on.

Brentford being a brilliantly run club, getting promoted without a reliance on parachute payments,selling your stadium to yourself, or faded journeymen. Just quality scouting, quality coaching, patience, and perseverance.

Chelsea recruiting a brilliant manager and winning against one of the greatest teams ever assembled with a squad of academy products, street kids, superstars, and a goalie who was on the dole just a few years ago.

Sean Dyche. Always nice to see a ginger doing well.

I think perhaps try looking at things from a different perspective rather than declaring, based on a survey of 5 people, 2 goldfish and an egg, that football is done for.

9 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Dyche kept Burnley in the premier league

For me thats a great job

It will be interesting the moment that Burnley fans start demanding the next level rather than just clinging onto Prem status. 

Charlton fans, amongst others , wanted sexy attacking football and are now getting it in the Third division.

:yawn:

9 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Are you serious about what you have seen from City in the last five years?

Some of the time it's been passable but mostly miserable to watch.

The modern game is pass it sideways and backwards to play keep ball. Occasionally get near the opponents goal but shooting at goal? No, pass it 85 yards back to the keeper or send a screamer so high over the bar that it's a danger to the Head Coach's drone that is recording the match!

Excitement and entertainment is watching Atyeo, Rogers, Clark, Cheesley, Galley, Garland, Roberts, Maynard, Ritchie, Morgan, Taylor and so so many others, banging the ball into the onion bag with wonderful regularity. And even watching opposing goalkeepers pulling off miraculous saves to deny us.

10 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Dyche kept Burnley in the premier league

For me thats a great job

An unbelievable job.

Burnley’s budget at that level is like Wycombe’s was in the Championship last season.

Look at the size of some of the clubs who can’t get to the Prem, plus there are at least 2 clubs bigger than Burnley down in League One (Sunderland & Sheff Wed) & Pompey, Charlton & Ipswich would all consider themselves bigger as well.

Dyche is massively overachieving, how he chooses to keep them up is his business.

I think this is quite a narrow minded view of the job Sean dyche has done at Burnley. How many teams have had the ‘second season syndrome’ and dropped out of the top flight. Burnley have competed every season and are still a prem side. There isn’t really an expectation of finishing in Europe with Burnley, I’m sure their fans are delighted they are playing top teams every week. I’m sure it takes an unbelievable amount of hard work and sheer guts to compete when you’re playing the super rich! 

14 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I think it sums up modern football in a way. Players being over coached, unable to think for themselves, unable to problem solve (O’Driscoll talked about it). Players actually having to look at analytics to back up if they’ve had a good game. No shots on target during 90 minutes is absolutely mind boggling to me. A single player not being able to go by his opponent & get a shot off, wow just wow. I get there’s more to it, but that’s the basics of it. As for Pep, didn’t see the game, but he is the best in the business, he motivates millionaires to constantly want to strive for more, all the while playing the game ( generally! ) the right way. Dyche could be commended for keeping Burnley up, but they wouldn’t of been in my relegation 3 before the season starts, probably would of said around 15th for them would of been par. So possibly a poorish season for them. Probably the reason I haven’t missed the game as much as I thought I would. COYR 

Simon, thnk you for taking my point and greeing or disagreeing.

My point was ZERO shots on target in massive games is so weird and unacceptable that if any of our managers delivered that, they'd be crucified on this minority forum. As it is, people seem to think it's ok for Man C, Swans and The imps to so let their fans down in the biggest game of their season. Come on, give them the OTIB thumbs down

10 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

Simon, thnk you for taking my point and greeing or disagreeing.

My point was ZERO shots on target in massive games is so weird and unacceptable that if any of our managers delivered that, they'd be crucified on this minority forum. As it is, people seem to think it's ok for Man C, Swans and The imps to so let their fans down in the biggest game of their season. Come on, give them the OTIB thumbs down

Firstly, let's break down what the statos record as Shots on Target against what most fans consider a SoT, the con that costs mug punters like me week after week.

For it to be a SoT the ball must be adjudged to be definitely entering the net without intervention, anything near the woodwork doesn't count, it must be saved by the goalkeeper or a defender who is nearest the goal line and on the field of play but not necessarily the last player in play. Now that's an awful lot of conditions to be met for a SoT to occur. Most sensible fans would argue that if a player sends the ball toward the goal and the probability is it'll go in if not for intervention, then he's done all he can and that counts as a SoT, save it doesn't.

Your argument also falls down as sensible fans also appreciate the quality of a great defence. Sometimes, as on Saturday, the defence is so good as to stifle even the best offence. Pep delivered the most goals this season, Swansea & Lincoln not to shabby either. But just because they couldn't muster a SOT doesn't equate to them having failed at the final hurdle. Perchance they were beaten by better sides?

Archived