IGNORED

Sorry guys another fashion thread

The dastardly red

Today my friend in London told me that there's quite a big anti-fashion movement going on in the East of the city. It's basically wear whatever you want to wear, no questions asked. 

Apparently it takes about 2 years before the clothes and haircuts that are fashionable in Shoreditch filter down to the high street by which time the original trend setters have moved on and are laughing at the people buying into the old styles and cuts. So will be interesting to see how this plays out.

He mentioned that hair products and shaped beards are very much out for men. He said that it's about not really bothering and that the preened look is being laughed at a lot. Not sure if he's got this right but he also said that there's a lot of mocking of men wearing tight t-shirt. Personally I like a man in tight clothes, but that's just a taste thing I suppose 

4 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Apparently it takes about 2 years before the clothes and haircuts that are fashionable in Shoreditch filter down to the high street by which time the original trend setters have moved on and are laughing at the people buying into the old styles and cuts. So will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Twas ever thus though, nothing new there. It is even immortalised in songs like Dedicated Follower of Fashion and Jumping Someone Else's Train.

53 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

shoreditch dont sound all that to me. whats a gastropub? drinking out of snails??  and noodle bars, that says a place full of weirdos yo me

Shoreditch is a great night out. Ten Bells followed by Blues Kitchen for food and excellent live music and then onto a late night pub Crown & Shuttle

11 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

Today my friend in London told me that there's quite a big anti-fashion movement going on in the East of the city. It's basically wear whatever you want to wear, no questions asked. 

I knew if I stuck to my guns the fashionistas would catch up with me eventually.

Beards are a weird one. I had one in the mid-80s when only myself and Peter Hook dare be seen in public with one. Shaved it off after a year as it appeared to be limiting my sex life!

Then about 1998, I grew one again. At the time, I seemed to be the only man in West London with facial fuzz, but gradually a sprinkling of beardies appeared at work and on the streets. Then they got really trendy, and now it's got to the stage where the vast majority of men under 40, plus quite a lot of oldies, seem to have beards.

Consequently, I now shave mine back to medium stubble. 

Always be ahead of the trends, not following them.

7 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

shoreditch dont sound all that to me. whats a gastropub? drinking out of snails??  and noodle bars, that says a place full of weirdos yo me

Shoreditch is pleasant enough but, to be honest, it has influenced pubs and restaurants across the UK to a point where it isn’t anywhere near as strange and exotic as all that.

Bristol is very Shoreditch-y and I’ve even been in pubs in North Norfolk with massive gastropub leanings. I drink in Shoreditch occasionally but it is pretty much streets with pubs and restaurants much as any other. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Beards are a weird one. I had one in the mid-80s when only myself and Peter Hook dare be seen in public with one. Shaved it off after a year as it appeared to be limiting my sex life!

Then about 1998, I grew one again. At the time, I seemed to be the only man in West London with facial fuzz, but gradually a sprinkling of beardies appeared at work and on the streets. Then they got really trendy, and now it's got to the stage where the vast majority of men under 40, plus quite a lot of oldies, seem to have beards.

Consequently, I now shave mine back to medium stubble. 

Always be ahead of the trends, not following them.

I did take part in Moustache March earlier this year (which differs from Movember in that, rather than growing a moustache from the first onwards, you have to end February with a full beard and shave it down to a moustache on Moustache Monday, which is the first Monday of March)

However this was a combination of lockdown boredom, a desire to see what I looked like with a moustache and curiosity as to whether I could convince anyone Moustache March was a real thing rather than something I had invented. (My brother believed it.)

Generally speaking, I have a beard when I cannot be arsed to shave and no beard when I remember to do so.

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I did take part in Moustache March earlier this year (which differs from Movember in that, rather than growing a moustache from the first onwards, you have to end February with a full beard and shave it down to a moustache on Moustache Monday, which is the first Monday of March)

However this was a combination of lockdown boredom, a desire to see what I looked like with a moustache and curiosity as to whether I could convince anyone Moustache March was a real thing rather than something I had invented. (My brother believed it.)

Generally speaking, I have a beard when I cannot be arsed to shave and no beard when I remember to do so.

I had a moustache during a brief "Midge Ure in Ultravox" period when I was in my teens, but I don't think any charitable occasion would make me grow one back.

Generally, nowadays, aren't moustaches only worn by squaddies, police sergeants, elderly gay men and blokes from Hull?

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

I had a moustache during a brief "Midge Ure in Ultravox" period when I was in my teens, but I don't think any charitable occasion would make me grow one back.

Generally, nowadays, aren't moustaches only worn by squaddies, police sergeants, elderly gay men and blokes from Hull?

I would I say looked like a combination of two from those four but shall leave others to speculate on which two...

The moustache survived five weeks of work, two board meeting, a job interview as a candidate and a job interview panel as an interviewer. It went when I had a meeting with someone who I respected professionally but had not met and I decided I could not go through with meeting them looking how I did... 

21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I ‘did’ Movember once, a few years ago, the only time apart from a brief misguided spell in the 1980s when I’ve had facial hair for non-lazy reasons. 

That November coincided with me giving a series of training sessions for the bank I was working for at the time, and I was asked if one of the sessions could be recorded to use at a later date.

So somewhere out there is a three hour film of me giving a presentation on investment bond taxation in The Gherkin whilst looking like a fat John Alderton (for those of you too young to know him: trust me, it wasn’t a good look). 

I left the bank a few months later.

1 hour ago, lager loud said:

I ‘did’ Movember once, a few years ago, the only time apart from a brief misguided spell in the 1980s when I’ve had facial hair for non-lazy reasons. 

That November coincided with me giving a series of training sessions for the bank I was working for at the time, and I was asked if one of the sessions could be recorded to use at a later date.

So somewhere out there is a three hour film of me giving a presentation on investment bond taxation in The Gherkin whilst looking like a fat John Alderton (for those of you too young to know him: trust me, it wasn’t a good look). 

I left the bank a few months later.

Can you send me a video, Please Sir !!

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Shoreditch is pleasant enough but, to be honest, it has influenced pubs and restaurants across the UK to a point where it isn’t anywhere near as strange and exotic as all that.

Bristol is very Shoreditch-y and I’ve even been in pubs in North Norfolk with massive gastropub leanings. I drink in Shoreditch occasionally but it is pretty much streets with pubs and restaurants much as any other. 

Oooh, guess where I am this week!

On 31/05/2021 at 07:25, Port Said Red said:

Twas ever thus though, nothing new there. It is even immortalised in songs like Dedicated Follower of Fashion and Jumping Someone Else's Train.

was just thinking that sounded familiar from a Billy Bragg song (not having listened to loads of The Kinks) and then realised I was thinking "dedicated swallower of fascism" from his song Accident Waiting to Happen and that this whole time it was a reference that I'd never known before

Archived