IGNORED

BBC football does not do itself any favours

Our public broadcaster has secured the rights to cover the South American Copa 2021 tournament,maybe they should secure some LIVE domestic rights first.

Or maybe they were that cheap to secure,didn't see Sky falling over it self to secure the rights.

Their is a doubt whether they event will go ahead as their is a dispute between joint hosts Argentina and Columbia(just think bracelet event and then ask your grand parents)

The event may be moved to Chile or CANCELLED.

If your still awake the games kicks off very late at night or in the very early hours of the morning

2 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Our public broadcaster has secured the rights to cover the South American Copa 2021 tournament,maybe they should secure some LIVE domestic rights first.

Or maybe they were that cheap to secure,didn't see Sky falling over it self to secure the rights.

Their is a doubt whether they event will go ahead as their is a dispute between joint hosts Argentina and Columbia(just think bracelet event and then ask your grand parents)

The event may be moved to Chile or CANCELLED.

If your still awake the games kicks off very late at night or in the very early hours of the morning

BBC can’t compete with subscription based services and haven’t been able to for 30 years I thought everybody knew this! 

Apart from a couple of events where it’s policy to have them free to view, the BBC can only afford sports that subscription services don’t want. However, Bagpuss is available on the BBC iPlayer

2 minutes ago, fatchers said:

A lot of repeats of Bagpuss.   Fireman Sam, Postman Pat, Thomas the Tank and Bob the Builder are just not the same since they changed the actors.

That sounds the line for non league teams in the first round of the FA Cup. 

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

maybe they should secure some LIVE domestic rights first.

I'm sure they'd love to, but I doubt the public would be happy to pay the massive increase in the licence fee that would be required to pay for it.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

I'm sure they'd love to, but I doubt the public would be happy to pay the massive increase in the licence fee that would be required to pay for it.

Yep.

Without knowing exactly how much they'll have paid for the Copa America, it'll still be far less than the cost of showing a single PL game.

20 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Read that earlier, I assume that because of the timezones involved they are limited in the number of countries who can host it.

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

How is that any better? The last I heard (and I tend not to keep too abreast of the situation) Brazil were also a basket case.

It`s not any better - it just shows how desperate they are to get it played. I can`t see it being completed (or perhaps even starting) myself.

2 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Brazil is still struggling massively, the difference is they’ve got a leader who doesn’t give a flying ****. 

Bolsonaro is the South American Trump.  A complete Citizen Under National Trust    , who has sacrificed  half a million of his people to Covid, leads Lockdown protests, and is destroying the Amazon rainforest .  The people of Brazil have had enough of the egotist, and want the phecker out.                

17 hours ago, maxjak said:

Bolsonaro is the South American Trump.  A complete Citizen Under National Trust    , who has sacrificed  half a million of his people to Covid, leads Lockdown protests, and is destroying the Amazon rainforest .  The people of Brazil have had enough of the egotist, and want the phecker out.                

Very Good, never seen that before.

On 31/05/2021 at 02:35, fatchers said:

A lot of repeats of Bagpuss.   Fireman Sam, Postman Pat, Thomas the Tank and Bob the Builder are just not the same since they changed the actors.

It is simply not possible to change from Bagpuss to something else. Glad they left Magic Roundabout alone then.

On 31/05/2021 at 03:20, BS2 Red said:

Anyway, BBC is a totally busted flush now; its the same one sided BS you get from CNN; you could almost run them side by side and the message is identical. Auntie used to pride itself on its balanced reporting but since It has inexplicably been funding infiltrated by Gates it has only a one sided message. Few people know the BBC is now outside funded as well. The influence brought to bear means the licence fee payer has had their influence significantly diluted. And whether you like what they report or not misses the point which is that independence has been lost. So bad has it become that staff are leaving in their droves because they cannot practice journalism in the free spirited investigative way they were taught; how on earth can this govt have allowed that to happen; well, it has actually mandated it.

I think the love affair with the BBC has been completely lost as a result.

The notion, therefore, that there is insufficient funding in the BBC coffers to bid for football or cricket, for example, is misguided. The message is 'no we cannot afford it'. The reality is completely different. They just don't want to; because outside influences lean on them to do more news. But about what exactly?!

As a matter of interest pre premier league the BBC attempted to cover all football league teams during a season. If they can't afford to compete for the premier league matches perhaps they could show some of the championship, leagues one and two matches? BBC Scotland and BBC Wales seem to have alot more freedom to cover their teams.

This would show that the BBC is actually interested in their licence payers and not just the metropolitan ones!

3 hours ago, Midred said:

As a matter of interest pre premier league the BBC attempted to cover all football league teams during a season. If they can't afford to compete for the premier league matches perhaps they could show some of the championship, leagues one and two matches? BBC Scotland and BBC Wales seem to have alot more freedom to cover their teams.

This would show that the BBC is actually interested in their licence payers and not just the metropolitan ones!

Think you find that SKY and Quest have the rights to EFL football

On 31/05/2021 at 16:35, Sleepy1968 said:

How is that any better? The last I heard (and I tend not to keep too abreast of the situation) Brazil were also a basket case.

think most of south america is pretty much one big basket case.

17 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

The BBC is a subscription service though. 

TV owners have no choice but to have a TV license. That’s not the case with most other broadcasters. ITV, C4 and C5 being the only exceptions.

23 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Anyway, BBC is a totally busted flush now; its the same one sided BS you get from CNN; you could almost run them side by side and the message is identical. Auntie used to pride itself on its balanced reporting but since It has inexplicably been funding infiltrated by Gates it has only a one sided message. Few people know the BBC is now outside funded as well. The influence brought to bear means the licence fee payer has had their influence significantly diluted. And whether you like what they report or not misses the point which is that independence has been lost. So bad has it become that staff are leaving in their droves because they cannot practice journalism in the free spirited investigative way they were taught; how on earth can this govt have allowed that to happen; well, it has actually mandated it.

I think the love affair with the BBC has been completely lost as a result.

I think most people are aware of all this to a greater or lesser extent - some care deeply, some don't care at all, often depending on their political persuasion. The BBC, of course, should be politically neutral, holding all parties to account equally.

Anyway, the fact remains that the public are voting with their feet, the BBC are losing licence fee payers in droves and have been doing so for some time - 237,000 in the year up to Sept. 2020, and ongoing.

As someone who was at one time a great supporter of the BBC, I now find it mostly very irritating and almost unwatchable - hence I view only a few well chosen programmes per week, Same with their radio output, although apart from City games on RB I now make a point of never listening to it at all.

The admirable and honourable aim of the BBC when founded: Our mission is "to act in the public interest, serving all audiences through the provision of impartial, high-quality and distinctive output and services which inform, educate and entertain".

Well they are clearly not impartial and they no longer inform, they indoctrinate. They rarely entertain me (except when they show 40 year old repeats, which they do quite often tbf, because they know how many viewers are turned off by the completely humourless modern crap they try to enforce on us - Mrs. Brown's Boys anybody?) News -wise they concentrate solely, and with daily repetition, on subjects they have unilaterally determined will be the news, in a partisan way, while completely ignoring other newsworthy matters.

Their founding fathers would be disgusted, and feel betrayed, by what the modern day BBC has become. It is now unworthy of it's great name and heritage - it's clearly well past time the licence fee was scrapped.

Such a loss to this country that a previously rightly revered organisation has been taken over, and their reputation sullied, by such scoundrels. 

Archived