IGNORED

just a long heads up when we visit Birmingham City

7 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Birmingham has introduced a control parking zone in the central city area

Don't think it will effect any one going by car to the game,just be careful when you are the fringe area.

Make sure you make the right turn and not the wrong turn

Very philosphical for this time of morning NTTDS 

Or drive to the outskirts and take the train? Or bus? I must confess, although I lived there for 3 years, I never went to St Andrew's, but I imagine it's easy enough from the centre - public transport in Brum is pretty good (a million times better than Bristol, although that's not saying much)

23 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Or drive to the outskirts and take the train? Or bus? I must confess, although I lived there for 3 years, I never went to St Andrew's, but I imagine it's easy enough from the centre - public transport in Brum is pretty good (a million times better than Bristol, although that's not saying much)

Strangely enough, much like getting to AG, it's not.

Whichever central station you come in pretty much the quickest way to St Andrews is to walk.

29 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Whichever central station you come in pretty much the quickest way to St Andrews is to walk.

True, it often feels like the roads have been designed to circle anything of interest with no prospect of actually getting to them.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

True, it often feels like the roads have been designed to circle anything of interest with no prospect of actually getting to them.

Recently delivered a project there which necessitated many overnighters & much to my surprise it's a pretty decent place to hang out. Absolutely no point driving as train connections are frequent and the centre compact and easy to navigate on foot.

Other than the hoards of daytime zombie druggies on every corner (though like the commuters they go home once their begging shifts are over,) it's much going for it.

6 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Recently delivered a project there which necessitated many overnighters & much to my surprise it's a pretty decent place to hang out. Absolutely no point driving as train connections are frequent and the centre compact and easy to navigate on foot.

Other than the hoards of daytime zombie druggies on every corner (though like the commuters they go home once their begging shifts are over,) it's much going for it.

Some excellent real ale pubs in brum,,if that's your thing...

The Wellington on Bennets Hill,,close to New Street well worth a visit-they even let you eat your takeaway in there & give you a plate and cutlery!

15 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Some excellent real ale pubs in brum,,if that's your thing...

The Wellington on Bennets Hill,,close to New Street well worth a visit-they even let you eat your takeaway in there & give you a plate and cutlery!

Been there too often for it to be good for me.

Biggest surprise for me was to discover Brum has the second best 'Chinatown'  bettered only by Manc.

1 hour ago, City Cat said:

Easily walkable from New St. although last time we stopped off at the Anchor en-route ,https://www.theanchordigbeth.com/ got totally pissed and ended up in a cab to the ground.... happy days???? COYR....

My recommendation - about 10 minutes from New Street - is to head towards Broad Street then turn off down the canal to the Tap and Spile. 

Lovely pub, set over three floors, and on a nice day, some canalside seating. Always three real ales on as well, if that's your thing.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My recommendation - about 10 minutes from New Street - is to head towards Broad Street then turn off down the canal to the Tap and Spile. 

Lovely pub, set over three floors, and on a nice day, some canalside seating. Always three real ales on as well, if that's your thing.

Definitely! ??

11 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Lucky it isn't the 80s or 90s, you really wouldn't want to walk to St Andrews unless you had a decent bunch of lads with you ?

23 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Birmingham has introduced a control parking zone in the central city area

Don't think it will effect any one going by car to the game,just be careful when you are the fringe area.

Make sure you make the right turn and not the wrong turn

You could have warned us sooner. Why must you leave these things to the last possible moment before telling people?

18 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

Lucky it isn't the 80s or 90s, you really wouldn't want to walk to St Andrews unless you had a decent bunch of lads with you ?

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

We did, even the decade before.....

We drove up in the late 1970s, but left late, got caught up in traffic and arrived very late, just before kick-off.

Luckily, we managed to find somewhere close to the ground to park and walked/jogged to St. Andrews, surprised to see how quiet it was, despite having been warned beforehand that it might be a bit 'lively'.

We lost 3-0 and whilst it was, indeed, quite 'lively' inside the ground, we left at the end intending to repeat the quiet stroll back to the car and stop a few miles or so down the motorway for a quick pint.

Wow, it was certainly very lively outside the ground.

Unfortunately, neither Stanley Baker nor Michael Caine were with us, and it took us well over an hour to brave the short trip to the car, before we left Birmingham pretty smartish and had a nice quiet pint once safely back in Bristol.    

8 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I can’t remember where I read it but I’m sure I saw an article about St Andrews having major structural problems and it being a good job fans weren’t allowed as some of the stands weren’t safe

St. Andrews or Hillsborough, or perhaps both?

So many good boozers in the past 10 years in what was a CAMRA or good-pub desert before that.

As has been mentioned The Wellington and the Weatherspoons just down Bennetts Hill take some beating as does the Anchor near the old Digbeth bus station

Best response on this thread is the key question; Will we be going to away games from August 21 through to May 2022? If so, we could be in for a mixed season (unlikely to be as good as 2015-2020 but who knows?) If we are nt travelling away it begs thequestion of how many will both going to some home games.

12 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

St. Andrews or Hillsborough, or perhaps both?

Just looked it up, definitely St Andrews, they found problems with a couple of the stands and have been working on it through covid times but it still won’t be ready for the start of the season.

So let’s hope we play them later in the season so we might be allowed in and the repair work is done

Archived