IGNORED

It could only happen in local football

lager loud

I think this is a suitable silly/close season topic.

Lots of us play or used to play amateur football at various standards. Things happen there that you’d never see in the professional game (some on the pitch, some not). 

A couple of examples from games in my own time as a very average (I’m being kind to myself) Commercial and Regional League player:

- we once won a cup game 9-1…after extra time

- we won a game 19-0 and our centre forward didn’t score

…and one I wasn’t involved in but makes me laugh whenever I remember being told about it: in a game in the early 1980s Fishponds Albion apparently went 1-0 down after about 10 seconds without the opposition having touched the ball.

There must be some other examples to keep us entertained now the season’s over…

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Not football but local other sport

player drinking beer on the side of the pitch, having a slice of pizza in his pocket to eat when the ball wasn't near him and was still the best player on the pitch

Are you sure that wasn't one of any number of City games last season? 

5 minutes ago, cityexile said:

A player in my works side that would play about half the match with a lit cigarette. Was a few decades ago mind... 

This is WBA goalkeeper John Osbourne in 1972: obviously the done thing at all levels of the game at one time!

235BE1D7-93E3-4365-848A-A5FB8880C76F.jpeg

Played in a game when we were 9/0 down at half time. the guy managing the side was x Navy and had been in the Field Gun Crew representing Devonport at Ears Court.

He said we no way do we concead  double figurers was going ape shit about pride and whatnot. Drew the 2nd half 0/0 with a formation of well 10 at the back and just clear everything.

Following season we beat the same side in a cup final.

When my son was playing in the under 18s League or something, we had to supply the ref, if no ref was appointed or didn't show up. This particular day the ref didn't show so we turned up at an away game having to do it between us. Only promlem is, no one had a whistle. So off I go in my car, in an unfamiliar part of town to look for a shop that sold whistles. After a while I went into a hardware shop and bought a bloody bell, the type schoolteachers use to end break . The home coach spent the entire match reffing the game ringing said bell for free kicks etc.

14 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Up on the Downs a mate of mine getting sent off for a lunging chest high tackle. 

On the way back to the changing rooms after the game. Still makes me chuckle 

Also played in a cup final with Colin Lee's younger brother Michale . He was a striker and was sent off just before H/T alongside the opposition center half.

When we went into the changing room at H/T. they were still having a real go at it.!!!!!

21 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

That can’t be right ?

I can remember watching the darts from those times with them smoking fags and even that looks odd now 

Was thrown by a fan behind the goal and he picked it up for a crafty drag!

Used to play on Sundays Bath and District league up Lansdown. 

One game we were 10-0 up. Scored in the 78th min to make it 11-0 and after that the ref decided to blow up for full time. 

Another game, our opponents had a free kick just inside our half. Everyone was gathered in our box. Their guy goes to take the free kick and scuffs the ball with his studs just knocking it a few feet in front of himself. Start running out of the box and the free kick taker, takes on the ball. The ref just let play carry on regardless of our outcries. 

Managed a team in the Fry's Cup Final. Game was drawn and we went to penalties as it was considered inappropriate to play extra time due to failing light in early August. 

34 penalties later we lost. Went through both teams then back through the first five again. They scored their next one and their keeper saved our next effort. By this time it was almost pitch dark and it took longer than playing extra time.

Their keeper was the hero, in the paper next day,  for saving just one penalty. Our keeper saved five but our players hit the post a couple of times or put their efforts wide keeping it even Steven.

Playing u12s/13s football when we had a new player in his first game. Manager puts him on right back. The kid was absolutely awful . 5 minutes into his debut the manager trying to encourage him and calm him down. Manager shouts let the ball do the work player stops let’s the ball pass him . Striker runs in and scores. Priceless 

My Rugby days were where all the mental stuff kicked off. We travelled to Bridgend once to play, to discover the Ref had pegged off to watch Bridgend v Cardiff. 16 lads in a dressing room....80 minutes to kill til one of the other games finished....what to do? I was doing my A Levels at the time and stuck my nose in a History Text Book....Jon (Gashead) had other ideas. He found a Javelin and hurled it at the wall behind me......and it was a helluva time to discover that the only thing separating us from the Bridgend lads was a Plasterboard wall. The Javelin disappeared straight through.... and a 32 man fight started before kick off. 

Seen a wife and Mother-in-Law storm the pitch midway through the first half, to confront the husband on his apparent whereabouts and chosen company. He bolted and they gave chase. He made it to the changing room, got his bag and was in the car before they got their hands on him. 

31 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got gobbed on at Barnstaple by a spectator whilst warming up as sub.  Pleasant!

Wrong sport, but im pretty sure all blacks man mountain jerry collins turned up at barnstaple rugby club asking to join in for the club. Maybe who ever he gbh’d with a hard tackle was the person who gobbed on you? 

1 hour ago, lager loud said:

I think this is a suitable silly/close season topic.

Lots of us play or used to play amateur football at various standards. Things happen there that you’d never see in the professional game (some on the pitch, some not). 

A couple of examples from games in my own time as a very average (I’m being kind to myself) Commercial and Regional League player:

- we once won a cup game 9-1…after extra time

- we won a game 19-0 and our centre forward didn’t score

…and one I wasn’t involved in but makes me laugh whenever I remember being told about it: in a game in the early 1980s Fishponds Albion apparently went 1-0 down after about 10 seconds without the opposition having touched the ball.

There must be some other examples to keep us entertained now the season’s over…

I played in a match once which was 0-0 after 75 minutes, but we lost 9-0 at full time...

My only interesting experiences in football were running the line for my daughter's team.  The local posh team were renowned for causing problems.  First half I was spat on by a parent who objected to my offside flag, second half he thought it would be fun to trip me as I ran past him.  It all ended badly for him though as my head planted into his wife's face knocking out two of her teeth and as she fell to the ground she broke her arm and collar bone ....

As to hockey that was much more fun, used to play in goal.  6-0 up with 10 minutes to go in freezing fog on the Fen lands.  Groundsman brought me out a cup of coffee with a saucer - lovely thought but a bit impractical with goalie gloves and a helmet!  Went to a tournament in the Netherlands one year - rather alcoholic crossing - arrived - turned out that a car had missed the crossing from the previous winners - so still under the influence was asked to play in goal in the invitation match (my first on proper astroturf) - and then proceeded to be handed a beer with a straw at every opportunity by two rather lovely young Dutch ladies who clearly knew what they were doing!  I played an absolute blinder and kept a clean sheet, sadly never replicated that level of skill.

Played junior football against worle on the Bournville Estate.

Some of the local scrotes watching stood behind our goal throwing stones at our keeper. understandably he moved further and further forward to get away from them. 

He ended up getting lobbed 3 times during the game. I'm still not sure if it was a coordinated tactic or not 

We turned up at a game in Bridgwater once with 7 players, the others had broken down en route.

Anyway we started with 7 v 11 and held them to 0-0 until just before half time when the other 4 turned up.

We were 3 down by half time and lost 7-0 , I’m sure we’d have nicked a win if they hadn’t turned up

17 minutes ago, Hxj said:

My only interesting experiences in football were running the line for my daughter's team.  The local posh team were renowned for causing problems.  First half I was spat on by a parent who objected to my offside flag, second half he thought it would be fun to trip me as I ran past him.  It all ended badly for him though as my head planted into his wife's face knocking out two of her teeth and as she fell to the ground she broke her arm and collar bone ....

As to hockey that was much more fun, used to play in goal.  6-0 up with 10 minutes to go in freezing fog on the Fen lands.  Groundsman brought me out a cup of coffee with a saucer - lovely thought but a bit impractical with goalie gloves and a helmet!  Went to a tournament in the Netherlands one year - rather alcoholic crossing - arrived - turned out that a car had missed the crossing from the previous winners - so still under the influence was asked to play in goal in the invitation match (my first on proper astroturf) - and then proceeded to be handed a beer with a straw at every opportunity by two rather lovely young Dutch ladies who clearly knew what they were doing!  I played an absolute blinder and kept a clean sheet, sadly never replicated that level of skill.

just for info posh = port out starboard home. Think it means you have money   

5 minutes ago, reddoh said:

just for info posh = port out starboard home. Think it means you have money   

On cruise ships port (left) cabins face the land on the outward journey, whilst starboard (right) do on the return. As everyone wants the land view that combination was the most expensive, hence “posh”

2 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

On cruise ships port (left) cabins face the land on the outward journey, whilst starboard (right) do on the return. As everyone wants the land view that combination was the most expensive, hence “posh”

see hxj post somewhere above

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Got gobbed on at Barnstaple by a spectator whilst warming up as sub.  Pleasant!

funny you should say that dave ,i was playing for ellwood against patchway around 1994 last game of the season i think at home,after the game as i walked off and took my shirt off,2 fans of patchway gas noticed my tattoo on my back and decided to give me a early shower with spit, which i thought was so lovely and thoughtful of them. What happened next lets just say i bet they have never spat on anyone again and the colour red suited them 

Archived