IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

Having just managed to get a table next month at the new Pony & Trap on North St BS3 I thought it might be good to get contributions on your favourite restaurants (local or otherwise I suppose) for future gastronomic adventures. 

Having not wondered too far from the 'hood, we dined at Souk Kitchen (also North St) on Saturday evening. Absolutely top drawer tapas style eastern med/north african food. Can be a bit chaotic (in a good way) but it's small & lively and a great atmosphere in there. https://soukitchen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Launch-Menu-.pdf

• Like 1

The best lunch burgers I've had were at Three Brothers near Queen Square. Last time I went with the app I believe they cost £4 for their lunch deal (Possibly changed after COVID). I've struggled to find better burgers for that price near the centre. 

Does anyone use the Wiggle app? It's fantastic. 

Went to the Little French just before THAT program, loved it.
Pigsty was superbe, probably the best burger I've had and Sunday lunch was excellent. 
While on Sunday Lunch, Broken Dock was good, and we had a great meal at the Kensington/
7 Lucky Gods was great.
In fact all the ones we have tried around the Cargo shed. have been really good. The choice no is brilliant

Agree about Souk.

The Wife has Wiggle on her phone , come in handy a few times.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Being lazy but what's that all about? 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Pigsty was superbe, probably the best burger I've had and Sunday lunch was excellent. 
While on Sunday Lunch, Broken Dock was good, and we had a great meal at the Kensington/
7 Lucky Gods was great.
In fact all the ones we have tried around the Cargo shed. have been really good. The choice no is brilliant

Agree about Souk.

The Wife has Wiggle on her phone , come in handy a few times.

Cargo is awesome, seems to be constantly evolving too which is good, keeps it fresh & worth checking out the new stuff 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Showing my ignorance - but what was "that" programme?!

Asking because a friend wanted to take us there and has booked a table - but not until August!!

Is that programme the reason it's so hard to get a table, or a reason for not going?!

19 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Cargo is awesome, seems to be constantly evolving too which is good, keeps it fresh & worth checking out the new stuff 

Great discounts all around Bristol. It's a good way to find little gems and super easy to use. You could've gone to some of the restaurants on there and realised you could've had £2-3 off if you just ordered through the app! 

For example, Baba Ganoush Kitchen had their vegan wraps on there for 99p which were huge. Normal retail price would be £3 or something.

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Showing my ignorance - but what was "that" programme?!

Asking because a friend wanted to take us there and has booked a table - but not until August!!

Is that programme the reason it's so hard to get a table, or a reason for not going?!

The BBC showed an episode of Remarkable places to eat, which featured the Little French, as I say just after we went so we didn't have much trouble getting a table. Since then had loads of friends from around the country saying they wanted to go. I think the link below is right.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000qrxy/remarkable-places-to-eat-christmas

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Great discounts all around Bristol. It's a good way to find little gems and super easy to use. You could've gone to some of the restaurants on there and realised you could've had £2-3 off if you just ordered through the app! 

For example, Baba Ganoush Kitchen had their vegan wraps on there for 99p which were huge. Normal retail price would be £3 or something.

Found it - called Wriggle - looks good 

• Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Whoops! 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

31 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Whoops! 

https://www.getawriggleon.com/bristol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

The Ashville steakhouse is amazing.

http://www.theashvillesteakhouse.co.uk/

I'll second this. Best steak I've had by miles. 

I also agree with the other poster about Three Brothers. Great burger, but not as good as Squeezed down Wapping Wharf. Unbelievable burger there. 

Seven Lucky Gods as another mentioned is also great, their korean fried chicken is a must try.

Caribbean croft is decent if you like that sort of cuisine! Curry goat & brown stew chicken there are both very nice.

In a slight twist on the ask...

Have to say that the two occasions I've eaten at Urban Tandoor I was pretty underwhelmed. For a restaurant to have so many awards and positive reviews I was expecting something really special and whilst the food was nice and the service good, it was absolutely no better than any number of other Indian restaurants.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sturny said:

The best lunch burgers I've had were at Three Brothers near Queen Square. Last time I went with the app I believe they cost £4 for their lunch deal (Possibly changed after COVID). I've struggled to find better burgers for that price near the centre. 

I've not been there since the pandemic started, but I agree they are great value. The £4 deal was amazing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I'll second this. Best steak I've had by miles. 

I also agree with the other poster about Three Brothers. Great burger, but not as good as Squeezed down Wapping Wharf. Unbelievable burger there. 

Seven Lucky Gods as another mentioned is also great, their korean fried chicken is a must try.

Caribbean croft is decent if you like that sort of cuisine! Curry goat & brown stew chicken there are both very nice.

I’ll agree as well. Although I also like Mugshot https://www.mugshotrestaurants.com

Excellent steaks and good friendly service

In the city centre, I like the Sky Hong Kong - mainly for their Korean food. That's been a passion of mine since I lived in South Wimbledon, London's "Koreatown".

From our old office, Rosemarino in York Place was a favoured brunch/lunch spot. 

If I want to take someone for a gurt posh meal - cuz I da like gurt posh sometimes, n'all - then the Ethicurean in Wrington would be my destination. 

Not sure it's re-opened though... 

Pasture - best steaks in Bristol, but everything on the menu is immaculate. It'll get a Michelin star soon I'd have thought

Souk Kitchen North St - consistently brilliant

Gambas - seafood Spanish tapas with a Michelin plate, owned by a City fan. Best views across the harbourside from any eatery in Bristol

Klosterhaus - been twice since lockdown ended. Has a Michelin plate. Gourmet German/mid-Europe cuisine

Cargo Cantina - Mexican open tacos, margaritas, ice cold beer in a dive bar setting at Wapping Wharf, also owned by a City fan

Places for Indian: Coronation Curry House and Raj Bari

Visiting Sunny Stores in Bemi in a couple of weeks which is very highly regarded. Also, really need to make the effort to get to Tare and Box-E but you need to book well in advance for both.

• Like 1

I noticed from the Bristol bears tv advert that we are now doing Buxton and Bird pies at the gate. Freddie Bird is the owner of Buxton and bird pies and little French. Is a guest on Saturday kitchen fairly regularly. Buxton and bird pies have a unit at wapping wharf. They are very nice if I do say so myself.