IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

5 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Like you say I guess you have to put your trust in them - but that's a lot of trust at that price! Let us know what it's like, definitely sounds like an experience. 

There used to be a place on the Whiteladies road that did an evening taster menu. Can't bloody remember their name as they are gone now. It is a real experience that type of meal

10 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

There used to be a place on the Whiteladies road that did an evening taster menu. Can't bloody remember their name as they are gone now. It is a real experience that type of meal

Colleys Supper Rooms?

• Like 2

Just now, CyderInACan said:

That was it - think it's Aqua now. Didn't it used to have an actual tree growing up inside it? An they used to parade around showing you the courses before you ate. Or was I drunk?

I never went in there to be honest.

13 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Didn't it used to have an actual tree growing up inside it? An they used to parade around showing you the courses before you ate. Or was I drunk?

I remember it being rather old fashioned decor, but deliberately. Big table with starters on, and the trolley would come around with the courses.

Being drunk i think was par for the course. Sitting started at 7:30 and you'd be lucky to get out before 11..

On 22/06/2021 at 22:53, Kid in the Riot said:

I've tried not to look if I'm honest, it's a Michelin * restaurant so I've put faith in the fact they know what they're doing. The venue is spectacular, below the old General Hospital. As I understand it you receive 20 courses. There is one dining time per evening at 7pm, and you enter the restaurant at that time and are looked after for the rest of the evening. Apparently it's good fun - the service is excellent and they play loud music, unlike most pricey places to eat. It's an experience, so I guess it's not just about the food - though I am expecting big things! 

I've paid £50 for Michelin * food so for the price Casamia are charging I am expecting it to be bloody good. It's a once in a blue moon experience tho.

Not been to Casamia yet because of the hefty prices - but like you say, it’s a once in a blue moon experience, so maybe one day! 

I have been to Paco tapas a couple of times though (same owners as Casamia and is just nextdoor), which is definitely worth a try for top quality authentic tapas for a still pricey, but nowhere near £180 pricey, evening. Chef’s menu is £50 for around 14 courses if I recall correctly.

Chipping in on the best burger argument, I’ll add a vote to Asado. Been there a handful of times and never ever disappointed. Squeezed gets a close second and the fries were perfect for me. Also agree with those slagging Oowee off, not for me - proper grease-fest.

Someone mentioned Bell’s Diner, which was a favourite of mine, but is now closed down and been replaced by Bianchi’s (traditional Italian grub owned by the same guys as Pasta Loco & Pasta Ripiena). Not tried it yet - can anyone recommend?

Other favourites are:

- Poco near turbo island on Gloucester Road. Little seasonal plates using local produce.

- Souk kitchen on North Street. Never fails to deliver.

- 7 Lucky Gods. Personally never had a bad experience and have tried everything on the menu.

- Pony on North street. Managed to get a spot for dinner the other day and it was lovely, a new spot that’s definitely worth a visit.

- Bosco on Whiteladies road. Nothing special, but always seem to go back for a nice atmosphere and decent pizzas.

- The Ethicurean in Wrington. Someone else mentioned this and it’s a bit outside Bristol, but the fact I can still recommend it after having worked there for 6 months or so, is testament to how passionate the owners are for good local food and a top notch experience. Setting is beautiful too. It’s changed a little since I’ve been there mind - quite lofty prices for a set menu ‘experience’, where you get shown around the walled garden etc. Anyone tried this new experience by any chance?

• Like 2

Mrs Cyder & I did the Pony & Trap on North St on Friday. Very good, obviously not huge portions but what you get is top drawer & pretty reasonably priced at £42ish a head. Quite a roomy space, one half carpeted & the other more light wood flooring (reminded me of an old school sports hall :laugh:) very good service, wine prices as you'd expect and overall a very good experience. Recommended. 

https://theponynorthstreet.co.uk/

• Like 1

On 21/06/2021 at 17:54, Jerseybean said:

Just learnt that Bells Diner is permanently closed. Recent trip back home meant a bit of eating out all these were good, Quay Street Diner, Franco Manco, Honest, the last two are both in Clare Street. 

On 25/06/2021 at 06:56, jambodinho said:

Back on the burger debate, has anyone tried the Bristol Burger Bus? Check them out on Instagram. They are in different places each night and do a special burger each week. It’s an old New York style school bus. Pretty cool and the burgers and onion rings are decent 

Well hyped and marketed but average at best imo.

Going for a Phat Burger from Warmley soon. Heard good things about them. Check their website. Also in Clutton.

On the subject of alternating locations; Pizza Adorare is worth a mention. Often difficult to turn up and get a pizza. They often sell out on pre-orders. My mate and his wife run it together and fair play to them as they've done really well. Check their Facebook page ??

On 25/07/2021 at 21:44, 1960maaan said:

Had a good night at Bar44 in Clifton, not the cheapest but great Tapas style food.

We went for a Sunday lunch there on the weekend and it was fantastic. Too often I feel like I get scammed with Sunday lunches but it was certainly not the case there. 

48 minutes ago, InCyder said:

We went for a Sunday lunch there on the weekend and it was fantastic. Too often I feel like I get scammed with Sunday lunches but it was certainly not the case there. 

We've been lucky with Sunday lunches. Pre lockdown we had one of the Best at Pigsty, for open air the Railway at Thatchers was good and the Kensington was excellent. Next on the list is the Coronation on Dean Lane, heard good things and apparently god value.

On 02/06/2021 at 16:21, CyderInACan said:

Having just managed to get a table next month at the new Pony & Trap on North St BS3 I thought it might be good to get contributions on your favourite restaurants (local or otherwise I suppose) for future gastronomic adventures. 

Having not wondered too far from the 'hood, we dined at Souk Kitchen (also North St) on Saturday evening. Absolutely top drawer tapas style eastern med/north african food. Can be a bit chaotic (in a good way) but it's small & lively and a great atmosphere in there. https://soukitchen.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Launch-Menu-.pdf

best lunch I had was when I was back in the UK 2019 in October at a home game against Blackburn rovers. The KFC across the road from BS3 was brilliant.?

Closely following this thread for where to book my Birthday meal in Jan (Post Cardiff game) as I live in London so don't know Bristol eateries well. 

Taking my partner to Clifton Lido for swim and breakfast before the Bournemouth game hopefully. Anyone been before? Any good? 

10 hours ago, Selred said:

Closely following this thread for where to book my Birthday meal in Jan (Post Cardiff game) as I live in London so don't know Bristol eateries well. 

Taking my partner to Clifton Lido for swim and breakfast before the Bournemouth game hopefully. Anyone been before? Any good? 

Went for an evening meal at the Lido a few years ago and it was really nice, in of course a pretty special setting with the dining area arranged around the pool. Good luck! 

On 02/06/2021 at 09:26, Sturny said:

The best lunch burgers I've had were at Three Brothers near Queen Square. Last time I went with the app I believe they cost £4 for their lunch deal (Possibly changed after COVID). I've struggled to find better burgers for that price near the centre. 

Does anyone use the Wiggle app? It's fantastic. 

Three Brothers win an award: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink/sensational-bristol-burger-joint-named-5731158?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

• Like 2

On 28/07/2021 at 22:35, Selred said:

Hit and miss im afraid. Sometimes its great, but ive been before when its been busy and ......not great in terms of cleanliness etc. Id check the latest Tripadvisors before you commit

On 02/06/2021 at 09:26, Sturny said:

The best lunch burgers I've had were at Three Brothers near Queen Square. Last time I went with the app I believe they cost £4 for their lunch deal (Possibly changed after COVID). I've struggled to find better burgers for that price near the centre. 

Does anyone use the Wiggle app? It's fantastic. 

Their veggie options are well regarded too, https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/tried-three-brothers-burgers-vegan-5822048?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=welcome_daily_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

• Like 1