IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

9 hours ago, tin said:

Dynasty was great. 

I don’t know about burgers, but the best Indian in Bristol bar none is the Urban Tandoor on Small Street. Ganesha and The Clove used to be quality in BS3 back in the day.

Totally forgot about Urban Tandoor! Good shout. Not sure if Ganesha is till open? But the Clove is a family favourite (fun fact, I fell asleep in there on one of the first occasions I met my in-laws) 

19 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I think the price point is just all wrong. They should have started it off at a much lower price and built up a reputation from there. Because it is so different I'd still recommend it as an experience; and to try the food. However, I'd be much more proactive in recommending it if it was half the price, so say £90 pp for a tasting menu. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186220-d9868389-Reviews-Casamia-Bristol_England.html

Mixed reviews definitely. Sounds to me that they should've stuck with the original, Michelin star winning, formula. 

38 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Totally forgot about Urban Tandoor! Good shout. Not sure if Ganesha is till open? But the Clove is a family favourite (fun fact, I fell asleep in there on one of the first occasions I met my in-laws) 

I think Ganesha's still open, but I haven't been in there for years so don't know what it's like these days. I remember The Clove when it was a funeral home in a previous life! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tin said:

I think Ganesha's still open, but I haven't been in there for years so don't know what it's like these days. I remember The Clove when it was a funeral home in a previous life! 

Was it!? How long ago was that? I remember it being (I think) Taurus Catering before it became the Clove. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186220-d9868389-Reviews-Casamia-Bristol_England.html

Mixed reviews definitely. Sounds to me that they should've stuck with the original, Michelin star winning, formula. 

Yep, would agree with the reviewer that mentions an overuse of soy on the dishes too!

The reason for the change is that Casamia owner Pete Sanchez has opened a new restaurant in London and so he now has Zak Hitchman running Casamia. Zak (who comes round and speaks to each table) used to work at Michelin-starred Ynyshir in Wales, and that's where Casamia takes its influence from.

I suppose for context on price. Dinner only at Ynyshir is £300, nearly double the price of Casamia! Ynyshir - Michelin Star Restaurant Wales, Restaurant and Rooms 

Edited by Kid in the Riot

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, would agree with the reviewer that mentions an overuse of soy on the dishes too!

The reason for the change is that Casamia owner Pete Sanchez has opened a new restaurant in London and so he now has Zak Hitchman running Casamia. Zak (who comes round and speaks to each table) used to work at Michelin-starred Ynyshir in Wales, and that's where Casamia takes its influence from.

I suppose for context on price. Dinner only at Ynyshir is £300, nearly double the price of Casamia! Ynyshir - Michelin Star Restaurant Wales, Restaurant and Rooms 

That is mental. 

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The reason for the change is that Casamia owner Pete Sanchez has opened a new restaurant in London

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5d65976e88ee800001a106ab/t/619779f2a4163276b8515434/1637317106673/Decimo+Dinner+%26+Lunch+-+W+logo.pdf

Looks nice TBF. Bloody London though. 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

FWIW, I have heard the same with Decimo re: style over substance.

The one I really want to get to is Sabor.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2022 at 08:57, Kid in the Riot said:

Little mention for Pizza on the Park at the top of Park St. It's where Pizza Express used to be and is now run by the owners of Racks.

Really good venue with nice big tables and fussball. The pizzas are really good, as are the starters/light bites like aranchini balls, fritto misto etc. All tasty and presented really well. A notch up from Pizza Express for sure. Some really good offers on in the week too, including 241 pizzas Mon-Fri I believe. 

https://pizzaonthepark.com/

Realised I never did my Casamia review from last August. Suffice to say I was not overly impressed, not helped by being served a fair bit of smoky flavoured food, which I am not a huge fan of. Stepped over the line of being a bit pretentious and style over substance for me. 

For £300+ you expect to be blown away and I can't say I was, though there were some outstanding, memorable dishes. Even the venue was a little underwhelming. 

I did the wine flight, but get this, they sell cans of Heller Pils etc in there for.... £13 each!

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!!

I have never been to Casa Mia, and after seeing my mates bill for 2 I won't bother. Admittedly him and his Mrs had the wine flights and full meal, but £600 + is mental. 

Last year for our (Big) Birthdays, we went to Dinner with Heston at the Mandarin Oriental London. We don't eat big meals, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. I think it it was around £350 with drinks, which were cheaper than those cans you mention. I'd also say, it was a great experience . Everything , after we got into the Restaurant, was spot on. Even ended with an Ice cream in a cone, but being Heston it was Nitrogen Ice Cream, a trolly comes to the table, and looked like ...

IMG_5674.thumb.jpeg.bf0bf3cc959be67a320409d74bcf59e5.jpeg

• Like 1

I have heard nothing but bad/indifferent reviews since casamia made its changes 

I used to follow the new chef on insta but his reaction to bad trip advisor reviews were so arrogant, doesn’t look good for them on there and seemingly they have no interest in addressing it 

I don’t live in Bristol anymore but pasta loco and souk kitchen will always be my favs!

Edited by Club and Country

Went to the Clifton Lido swim and brunch Friday. Very good, especially for £35pp. 

The swim was fresh (and by fresh I mean bloody freezing), the pool isn't massively heated. Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna.

Then for breakfast you get a hot drink, cold drink and breakfast dish. I had the fantastic Turkish eggs, my partner had the salmon on sourdough. Very good sized portions and great quality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 25/01/2022 at 14:10, Offside said:

Two Italian restaurants I really like are Vincenzo’s near the top of Park St and Giuseppe’s near St Nick’s - nice family run places and good value. 

I know Giuseppe, he's been there for years. Very much classic Italian cooking but good. You should try 

Moltobuono!59

on Park St! Also great classic Italian (Sardinian) pasta dishes and pizzas. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/01/2022 at 15:00, Selred said:

Went to the Clifton Lido swim and brunch Friday. Very good, especially for £35pp. 

The swim was fresh (and by fresh I mean bloody freezing), the pool isn't massively heated. Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna.

Then for breakfast you get a hot drink, cold drink and breakfast dish. I had the fantastic Turkish eggs, my partner had the salmon on sourdough. Very good sized portions and great quality.

Do they still cook everything on an open fire there?

Had some good food in the past... however the sourdough is always cremated from my experience. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Do they still cook everything on an open fire there?

Had some good food in the past... however the sourdough is always cremated from my experience. 

I didn't see that to be honest, it just got brought to my table. The sourdough did have a crunch, but I wouldn't of said cremated. 

• Thanks 1

Went to Cow and Sow last Friday, bloody early but it was the only time we could get.
Not bad, wasn't impressed to much with the beers, but the food was pretty good. Not the cheapest, but not bad at all.

Sunday ended up at Lockside. Have to say that was back to it's best again. Food was very good, I had a simple bangers and mash which was great and the rest of the group enjoyed the food. Only thing near a complaint was that the desert was too big.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Got Root and Box-e booked up in the next couple of months. They should take away Casamia's star and give it to someone else ?

• Like 2