IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

3 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I know what you mean, consistency can be a problem.
I found what I thought was the best Burger & Sunday lunch place when we went to Pigsty. Then went during Lockdown and it was out doors, not good. I would recommend trying the Kensington though.  Depends what level you want, I liked the Phoenix at a cheap & cheerful level, but Bar 44 is great but more expensive. 
That reminds me, must try and get back to Bar44.

The Kenny is great. Been a few times and booked a private room upstairs.  Table service, and you can play your own music on their speakers. 

Rose of Denmark is good for a roast, as is the Greedy Goose at Gatcombe Farm, out by Long Ashton. All local produce.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Rose of Denmark is good for a roast, as is the Greedy Goose at Gatcombe Farm, out by Long Ashton. All local produce

Never made it to the Rose of Denmark, keep meaning too. Not heard of the Greedy Goose, I will look into that .

16 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The Kenny is great. Been a few times and booked a private room upstairs.  Table service, and you can play your own music on their speakers. 

Rose of Denmark is good for a roast, as is the Greedy Goose at Gatcombe Farm, out by Long Ashton. All local produce.

Agreed; their breakfasts are also a thing of beauty. Great staff too. 

• Like 1

These have been nominated for the Uber Eats Award: burger spot ASADO, much-loved Chilli daddy and vegan gem Koocha. Also nominated are the delicious Low and Slow Barbeque, iconic Sandwich Sandwich, tasty Taka Taka and Indian cuisine experts Urban Tandoor.

On 09/05/2022 at 20:17, Jerseybean said:

These have been nominated for the Uber Eats Award: burger spot ASADO, much-loved Chilli daddy and vegan gem Koocha. Also nominated are the delicious Low and Slow Barbeque, iconic Sandwich Sandwich, tasty Taka Taka and Indian cuisine experts Urban Tandoor.

By 'nominated' is that a democratic process, or they have just spent more on promotion/advertising with Uber?

Visited Caper and Cure in Stokes Croft last week and it was one of the best meals I've had in Bristol for a few years, I reckon. 

Very unfussy and unpretentious venue, as you'd expect with it being in Stokes Croft. But the food was really sublime and cooked to perfection. Had a couple of oysters and Padron peppers to begin with. The octopus starter was the best octopus I've ever tasted (sorry, Gambas), the lamp main was again a really lovely dish full of fresh flavours, and the banoffee donut dessert hit the sweet spot.

I'd rate it slightly above Box-E (which has a Michelin Bib Gourmand) and it was a bit cheaper.

caper and cure 

• Like 3

Has anyone on here tried the Pony Bistro next door to the Bristol Beer Factory on North Street?

I think it's the same family as the Pony & Trap, Chew Magna running it.

Menu looks a bit "up market" ? 

Shows how much North Street has changed 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, myol'man said:

Has anyone on here tried the Pony Bistro next door to the Bristol Beer Factory on North Street?

I think it's the same family as the Pony & Trap, Chew Magna running it.

Menu looks a bit "up market" ? 

Shows how much North Street has changed 

Yes. A few months after it had opened. Pretty chilled but nice surroundings, Relaxed service. Decent wine list. Standard of food you'd expect from Josh & team. And all the usual hostelries of North St for pre or post (or both) drinks. Recommended. 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2022 at 13:42, Slippin cider said:

Greedy Goose at Gatcombe farm for Breakfast is excellent and the staff great .

Had a takeaway from Urban Tandoor last week , not the small st one their sister restaurant at the top of Whiteladies…..absolutely stunning curry and sides …the best I’ve had for a very long time .

Going back to Urban Tandoor ( Small St. ) Saturday, a mate has been banging on about it for ages after we told him how good it was.

Probably my fav Curry ever, there was a Sri Lankan on at the bottom of Jacobs Wells Road (gone now and I forget the name), the Mint Room, bit more up market but I loved the food, and the Indian Street food place at Cargo, are up there too.

• Like 1

On 10/05/2022 at 05:17, Jerseybean said:

I might be slightly biased but Koocha really is absolutely outstanding. Can't recommend it enough, whether you eat meat or not. The only better place around Gloucester Road/Stokes Croft for me is The Coconut Tree.

That's a great list to be fair. I hear great things about Chilli Daddy but still yet to go.

Does anyone remember Maximillions? Legendary place to go for lunch.

Edited by nebristolred

I feel as though I should give an update.
Only our 2nd trip to Urban Tandoor, but the people making their debut and those returning were all impressed.
Service is great, food is brilliant , though the happy Birthday songs are a little .... odd.

I had the Chilli Monkfish starter, this is the main reason I wanted to go back and wasn't disappointed.
For the main I had Malaber Tiger Prawns, I think I won dinner again, just fabulous.

2 bottles of wine for the 3 ladies, 2 beers each for the guys ,  each couple shared a starter and had a main, popadoms and Nans.
Worked out about £37 a head.

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I feel as though I should give an update.
Only our 2nd trip to Urban Tandoor, but the people making their debut and those returning were all impressed.
Service is great, food is brilliant , though the happy Birthday songs are a little .... odd.

I had the Chilli Monkfish starter, this is the main reason I wanted to go back and wasn't disappointed.
For the main I had Malaber Tiger Prawns, I think I won dinner again, just fabulous.

2 bottles of wine for the 3 ladies, 2 beers each for the guys ,  each couple shared a starter and had a main, popadoms and Nans.
Worked out about £37 a head.

I have been to Urban Tandoor a couple of times and have never really understood why it has such a high reputation, always found the food a bit over seasoned.

It isn't a bad restaurant, just not sure why so many people rave about it. For me it falls in to the category of 'nice' - the problem with a lot of places is that they can't maintain the consistency.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I have been to Urban Tandoor a couple of times and have never really understood why it has such a high reputation, always found the food a bit over seasoned.

It isn't a bad restaurant, just not sure why so many people rave about it. For me it falls in to the category of 'nice' - the problem with a lot of places is that they can't maintain the consistency.

Fair enough, you can only take as you find. Personally both times have been really good. 
I was worried that the Monkfish wouldn't be as good as I remembered, it was , so that's a plus. I've had both the Tiger Prawn dishes and loved both. Wether I'll enjoy the rest of the menu as much, time will tell as I think we will go back.

As a matter of interest, where would you recommend ? Always happy to try new places.

• Like 1

Fair enough, you can only take as you find. Personally both times have been really good. 
I was worried that the Monkfish wouldn't be as good as I remembered, it was , so that's a plus. I've had both the Tiger Prawn dishes and loved both. Wether I'll enjoy the rest of the menu as much, time will tell as I think we will go back.

As a matter of interest, where would you recommend ? Always happy to try new places.

Dev's Kerala on Gloucester Road has been a really good feed previously, although the reviews aren't as strong as some other places.

And if your previous selections from Urban are anything to go by, you might really like http://www.jeansseafood.co.uk/ 

That could be up your street.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Dev's Kerala on Gloucester Road has been a really good feed previously, although the reviews aren't as strong as some other places.

And if your previous selections from Urban are anything to go by, you might really like http://www.jeansseafood.co.uk/ 

That could be up your street.

You are spot on, that looks fantastic.

Been planning a walk up Glos Rd, few record shops & charity shops. That looks a great place to stop, thanks.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

You are spot on, that looks fantastic.

Been planning a walk up Glos Rd, few record shops & charity shops. That looks a great place to stop, thanks.

Fair trek up, (opposite the Royal Oak), and I would suggest booking a table, as you can imagine it can get quite busy. There are a few restaurants in the area that you might be interested in.

Indian Junction - in my view, a bit pricey for a takeaway, but reasonable for a sit down. The food is great, but does benefit from straight from the kitchen to your plate, rather than being delivered.

https://indianjunction.co.uk/

Also, https://www.thekandyan.co.uk/menu could be of interest.

Finally, http://jeansbistro.co.uk/

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Gave this thread a re-read from page 1 and was surprised to see no reference to Mexican food.

https://www.casamexicana.co.uk/menu/

Never had a bad feed from then, although be warned, the portions are huge.

Big fan of Casa Mexicana.

Had the taco sharing platter and various mezcal cocktails at Cargo Cantina recently, one of my favourites! 

• Like 1

On 29/05/2022 at 11:31, Bristol Rob said:

On 29/05/2022 at 11:53, 1960maaan said:

I went there a few years ago with my wife, and we were both impressed - by the general presentation, the waiting staff and, of course, the food.

Unfortunately, we were not very adventurous, and stuck to the dishes we know, and with which we are comfortable.

I shall ensure we try something different next time.

2 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I went there a few years ago with my wife, and we were both impressed - by the general presentation, the waiting staff and, of course, the food.

Unfortunately, we were not very adventurous, and stuck to the dishes we know, and with which we are comfortable.

I shall ensure we try something different next time.

I get caught between my love of all things Prawn, and wanting to go for something I've never had/heard of before. 
Every meal we've had so far has been good . Highly recommend the Monkfish starter, which I may have mentioned before :whistle2:

I get caught between my love of all things Prawn, and wanting to go for something I've never had/heard of before. 
Every meal we've had so far has been good . Highly recommend the Monkfish starter, which I may have mentioned before :whistle2:

I quite like monkfish in a dish - it is sometimes called 'Poor Man's Lobster' over here - but have never tried it with chilli.

One dish I did discover recently on here is monkfish jaws; it may have been proposed by you or, I think, @TonyTonyTony.

I also enjoy prawns, but find them far too expensive in restaurants. I can buy them fresh over here, raw or cooked, so I rarely eat them in restaurants.

• Like 1