IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 18/05/2022 at 14:35, Kid in the Riot said:

Visited Caper and Cure in Stokes Croft last week and it was one of the best meals I've had in Bristol for a few years, I reckon. 

Very unfussy and unpretentious venue, as you'd expect with it being in Stokes Croft. But the food was really sublime and cooked to perfection. Had a couple of oysters and Padron peppers to begin with. The octopus starter was the best octopus I've ever tasted (sorry, Gambas), the lamp main was again a really lovely dish full of fresh flavours, and the banoffee donut dessert hit the sweet spot.

I'd rate it slightly above Box-E (which has a Michelin Bib Gourmand) and it was a bit cheaper.

caper and cure 

sounding interesting, so I googled it and I have to say the images on Google don't help. a huge lump of squid tentacle on a plate and the pic of the giant Oyster looks rather gynocological TBH!!

I'm sure it's better than the images suggest -  will give it a go.

10 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Casamia in Redcliffe is to close permanently in August.

Not surprised. £180 pp which you have to pay up front. Wine flight £120 (which I had) or £13 a can of Keller Pils.  No dietary requirements considered (you get what you're given), so if you're gluton intolerant, dairy allergy or even a vegetarian or pescatarian then that basically rules you out from visiting. 

Venue is decidedly average for a kitchen charging that kind of money too. 

You just can't run a restaurant like that these days. By not considering dietary requirements, you straight away alienate a load of potential customers, and you aren't going to have many regulars when you charge that kind of money in Bristol, with plenty of other great options at a fraction of the price.

Things must have been going very badly, as by closing down, they lose their Michelin star, which they've held for years. 

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

What are posters view on Pasture

Going there in few weeks

One of the best restaurants in Bristol at the moment, for sure. Might take Casamia's star in the near future!

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

What are posters view on Pasture

Going there in few weeks

Fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. 

Everything about it is top drawer. I’ve already booked there for my birthday in November, purely because it’s so bloody popular.

If you can’t get there though, I’d still recommend The Ox on Corn St (which for any of our older readers used to be Markwicks) which does a mean steak, as well as some decent sides and ace booze to accompany your meal.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Everything about it is top drawer. I’ve already booked there for my birthday in November, purely because it’s so bloody popular.

If you can’t get there though, I’d still recommend The Ox on Corn St (which for any of our older readers used to be Markwicks) which does a mean steak, as well as some decent sides and ace booze to accompany your meal.  

Underneath the spoons?

On 30/05/2022 at 23:15, CyderInACan said:

Excellent as you say , another one is Mugshot on St Nicks street, superb steaks .

• Flames 1

On 15/04/2022 at 13:58, Jerseybean said:

Been a couple times, but not for a while.

This recently put me off the idea of returning:

https://ratings.food.gov.uk/business/740632

So I went Indian and tried Chilli Masala instead. Very nice. Staple Hill area.

On 01/06/2022 at 10:18, Slippin cider said:

Excellent as you say , another one is Mugshot on St Nicks street, superb steaks .

I wasn't that impressed with Mugshot. I spoke to some people who were saying it was the "Pasture-slayer" i.e. even better than Pasture but definitely not for me. The chips are fantastic, I'll give them that. Cocktails were excellent too. But I didn't get on with the concept of cooking my own steak, at those prices I'd rather the chef did it - I know that was an option btw, so maybe my own fault. They forgot our asparagus dish too, and then when it arrived I thought the asparagus was undercooked and over-seasoned with too much salt. The menu is also very meat heavy, so it lacks a bit of choice. Find it a bit odd that they have a pizza menu alongside the steaks, and also they didn't push the dessert menu which I thought was a little odd.  It wasn't bad, and I'd still go back, but it's not in the top echelon of Bristol restaurants just yet IMO. 

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I wasn't that impressed with Mugshot. I spoke to some people who were saying it was the "Pasture-slayer" i.e. even better than Pasture but definitely not for me. The chips are fantastic, I'll give them that. Cocktails were excellent too. But I didn't get on with the concept of cooking my own steak, at those prices I'd rather the chef did it - I know that was an option btw, so maybe my own fault. They forgot our asparagus dish too, and then when it arrived I thought the asparagus was undercooked and over-seasoned with too much salt. The menu is also very meat heavy, so it lacks a bit of choice. Find it a bit odd that they have a pizza menu alongside the steaks, and also they didn't push the dessert menu which I thought was a little odd.  It wasn't bad, and I'd still go back, but it's not in the top echelon of Bristol restaurants just yet IMO. 

Ah ok, not been for quite a while now so maybe I’ll give it another go. I also opted for my steak to be cooked as i wanted it right. The various butters were lovely as was the wine we had . Pasture is excellent though so it does have to go some to beat it . Watch this space .

14 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

So it looks as if the cargo sheds in Wapping Wharf are going and are due to be replaced by a 'landmark' structure.

Could this spell the end of some favourites?

Bloody shame. Lets cram in another 200-odd flats at the same time. The containers give the place a look/vibe that has turned wapping wharf into one of the best places in Bristol. Typical that they decide to **** it up for no reason

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

So it looks as if the cargo sheds in Wapping Wharf are going and are due to be replaced by a 'landmark' structure.

Could this spell the end of some favourites?

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/wapping-wharf-shipping-containers-replaced-permanent-buildings/

It was only ever a temporary thing & there seems a degree of confidence from existing businesses that it could be even better - change is a bugger, mind. 

• Like 1

On 21/06/2022 at 12:48, CyderInACan said:

https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/wapping-wharf-shipping-containers-replaced-permanent-buildings/

It was only ever a temporary thing & there seems a degree of confidence from existing businesses that it could be even better - change is a bugger, mind. 

And who doesn't want more student flats!

• Sad 1

On 06/07/2022 at 21:11, Jerseybean said:

Good shout there, I've seen it a few times but never actually went in for a full breakfast, will have to give it a go.

As far as I veggie breakfasts go, another great one is The Bristolian.

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

A group of 10 are planning another steak night in good old Bristol

Done Pasture last month

Mugshot wouldnt let us book a group that size!!!!

so  where should we book?

Cheers

I am sure most Wetherspoons would be able to accommodate a group of that size.Probably wouldn't even have to book. 

• Haha 1

On 06/07/2022 at 12:11, Jerseybean said:

ent there after reading your post, definitely worth a visit. Really tasty breakfast.

• Like 1