IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 22/03/2024 at 12:27, jambodinho said:

Lisbon is high on my list purely down to the series “Somebody Feed Phil” on Netflix. He also ate at Ponto Final. Looked incredible. If you’ve not seen the series, at least have a look for that Lisbon episode. Certainly looks like a foodies heaven over there 

I've watched a lot of his episodes, as he visits some great places...however he has to be one of the most irritating people ever to watch. 

I love watching Antony Bourdain as well. Again some great experiences. Honest as well. 

As for Portugal, as everyone has said, fabulous seafood at incredible prices. 

Had the best ever Turbot in Alvor. Simply BBQd with lemon and butter outside the restaurant. 

And cooked the freshest sardines on an up turned lobster pot, under a fire on the beach. Fresh lemon, chilled vino Verde and super bock, watching the sun go down. Lives long in the memory. 

And who can't resist a Portuguese tart....😁

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Not long got back from Porto, cracking city, quality food, surprised me how serious they took there food, mercado do bolaho is an unreal market to visit on a sunny afternoon 

dirt cheap aswell 

Did you form the impression that their proportions are huge?

I have been to Portugal and Madeira on several occasions and, apart from the quality and (by UK/French standards) fantastic value for money, I often found difficulty in finishing my plate.

As you say, their markets, especially their fresh fish and seafood, are quite spectacular. 

Just now, spudski said:

Maybe...seems he's a bit marmite with viewers. 

Comes across like a character from the sit coms he writes. Over the top. 

Each to their own though. I'll still watch 👍

If you like travel & food, it's a good watch.  I might be wrong, he may be a right mardy sod in real life! 🤣

2 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

If you like travel & food, it's a good watch.  I might be wrong, he may be a right mardy sod in real life! 🤣

Yes, that's why I see past his presentation style, as travel and food programmes are what I watch most. 

Now Antony Bourdain was a mardy sod...which I actually prefer 😂

• Like 2

I like Phil. His series has certainly made me want to visit places I’d not really thought of going to before. As mentioned before, Lisbon looks incredible and I’ll get there in the future. In the new series, Edinburgh and Washington DC look great. 
I loved Bourdain. Thought he was so cool. His series were a bit more political and highlighted the negative affects that tourism had on places. Made me not want to visit the places he’d been to 😂 He obviously had his own demons and that made him come across like he was a glass half empty kind of guy. Somebody feed Phil is a bit more cheerful but I’d probably rather sit and listen to Bourdain talk in his unique style. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, spudski said:

Maybe...seems he's a bit marmite with viewers. 

Comes across like a character from the sit coms he writes. Over the top. 

Each to their own though. I'll still watch 👍

Yes he does come across as a character from Everybody Loves Raymond, I can tolerate him but I loved ELR and love his food series but can totally understand people finding him irritating.

Bourdain is/was just brilliant though. Greatly missed.

• Like 2

Went to Cow and Sow on Queen Square last night using First Table offer (50% off food bill). Was bloody lovely! 3 course meal for 4 people, including loads of sides, £5 supplement for steaks and service charge, came to just £140. Saved over £100 with the First Table app. Brilliant offer. And to top it all off, on a Monday they allow you to bring your own wine for only £5 per bottle corkage charge, so that saved us a fortune on drinks too! 👍

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

On 26/03/2024 at 13:12, CyderInACan said:

Now this is great to see. One of Bristol's best kept secrets right here in BS3  

Such a dreadful article though. They've just aggregated a load of TripAdvisor scores.

To my knowledge Dave can't even cook paella there at the moment as he doesn't have an extraction system. Plus there's the small issue that the opening hours are "spontaneous" shall we say!

• Haha 1