IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Looking for suggestions for a nice but casual pub-style Saturday lunch in town. Meeting up with elderly relations, tried the Hole in the Wall but is fully booked. Any suggestions?

Not been myself but this place is supposed to be good https://hhbristol.com/

It's replaced Severnshed and Jay Rayner from The Guardian gave it a v good review recently. 

Menu seems pub food style. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/08/2022 at 20:41, CyderInACan said:

Looking for suggestions for a nice but casual pub-style Saturday lunch in town. Meeting up with elderly relations, tried the Hole in the Wall but is fully booked. Any suggestions?

I would agree with Cottage, Pump house and about the same distance Broken Dock.
Bit closer , Pigsty used to do excellent cooked lunch but not been there for a while. That was by Cargo/Wapping Warf.
Shakespear had some good reviews and always looked good. 
Just up the road, the Mud Dock is good, but may not be what you want in a lunch.
Then there is Lloyds for cheap and cheerful, again not been there for some time.
The other direction, the Bay Horse ?
They do food in the Drawbridge on the centre.

I think most places will be OK these days, depends how far you want to go and what sort of meal. If you looks right to you flag it up, someone on here is bound to have been recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Shakespeare is a lovely pub, didn’t actually realise they did food. 

Only reports, not eaten there myself.

Just Googled it, seems to be a Green King now, not sure how long that has been the case.

Edited by 1960maaan

Just come across this thread. I’m sure Pasture has been mentioned. My favourite steak place. Lucky if you can get a booking at a decent time at any point in the near future.

For Italian, Don Gionvannis opposite temple meads is my go to place. Best lasagna I’ve ever had accompanied by some amazing dauphinois potatoes.

Went to Milk Bun in Clifton last week for a burger. Whilst the burger was nice, it cost £17 alone (yes that was with a double pattie). Mac n cheese was ok. Chicken strips were very nice! But having cost the best part of £60 for two burgers and two sides I won’t be going back anytime soon.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2022 at 20:24, TomF said:

Not quite Bristol but sad to see the Royal closing in Portishead next week. Family run for 17 years and a proper good roast.  I hope it doesn’t get bought up by a chain and ruined like Fullers have done to the Windmill. 

Very sad to see, lively Sunday afternoons ip there when weather is good. The windmillnis bloody awful now which considering their advantageous location I criminal

On 25/08/2022 at 16:09, TomF said:

Yeah maybe one it’s failing was it was still a bit of a locals secret.  I wonder if they’re closing because of the likelihood cost in energy prices? It’s a lovely old building but I bet it’s a not cheap to heat in winter when they probably have less footfall as well. I will always remember the first lockdown when they started take aways, had some absolutely blinding sticky ribs and pulled pork burger. Topped off with some draft Peroni in plastic bottles. 

I kinda had hopes that fullers wouldn’t ruin the windmill with some fairly firm promises at the start but they’ve absolutely done just that.  I haven’t been in the place since January where some sort of coincidence both me and my sister in law had the lasagna and two days later both had food poisoning. 

Ironically the old owners sold up because they wanted the golf course lease to make it financially viable.  5-6 years later and the golf course has been repossessed by the council.. 

Went in yesterday evening for a beer, fair to say won't be going back, to say its gone to rack and ruin is an understatement!

Not quite Bristol but sad to see the Royal closing in Portishead next week. Family run for 17 years and a proper good roast.  I hope it doesn’t get bought up by a chain and ruined like Fullers have done to the Windmill. 

Greene King apparently. Opening back up in January having had some work done to it. Hotel upstairs, extended bar and an extension being added. Apparently 

Proper Old Skool Bristol but we went to La Grotta at the top of Union St on Saturday lunchtime for a big family meal. Everything was excellent (apart from a lack of draft Moretti!) The food was great, the service was accommodating & laid back & it wasn't heaving so it was all quite lovely. Recommended. 

https://www.lagrottabristol.co.uk/

• Like 1

I was under the impression that it was going to Greene King. :(

I have to say it was the pub of choice when we first moved here, but it was never the same after they remodelled it and moved the bar etc, it lost something then. The food has always been good, but became their main focus and it became more like the Windmill.

We liked the old guy, but not so keen on the family members who started to become more prominent, it was no surprise that they struggled to keep staff.

Obviously they don't do food, but the Sirens is our pub now which is surprising in that they could easily make it more "tourist" focused, but it retains that local feel.

2 minutes ago, TomF said:

I do know what you mean, my sister stopped going because she didn’t like the atmosphere that much and the bar wasn’t really a bar anymore. The food was always decent.

Food was always good - best Fish and Chips in Portishead but a terrible pub for drinking in since Jason left as LL. Hopefully the refit will give it a new lease of life

37 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Food was always good - best Fish and Chips in Portishead but a terrible pub for drinking in since Jason left as LL. Hopefully the refit will give it a new lease of life

I'd raise you sea rock as the best fish and chips in Portishead, absolutely superb!

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Quite. At least the cafe is staying open, given ashton plate has very quietly closed the breakfast options that end of NS are getting thin.  Meanwhile Parsons are doing take away pizzas and Pizzarova are opening directly opposite them to complement Pizza Hut,  Pimms Pizza, Pizza Workshop and the Hen & Chickens offerings.. 

Curry-wise I know we have the Clove & the Coronation Curry House but the beauty of Al's was it's no-frills BYO approach. It will be missed. 

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Quite. At least the cafe is staying open, given ashton plate has very quietly closed the breakfast options that end of NS are getting thin.  Meanwhile Parsons are doing take away pizzas and Pizzarova are opening directly opposite them to complement Pizza Hut,  Pimms Pizza, Pizza Workshop and the Hen & Chickens offerings.. 

Have you seen the profit margins on pizzas?

I know Papa John's have just closed down for some reason, but pizzas are very profitable, just like creperies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TomF said:

Totally, its more that there is no so many Pizza places on North Street that they'll all be fighting for business that might not be able to fund them all. 

I must say that the recent proliferation of pizzerias does surprise and annoy me equally.

No doubt inspired by the recent COVID confinement, when restaurants were limited to home deliveries only, there have been at least 20 open within a 5 mile radius of my apartment, most of which are takeaway or home delivery only, and, judging by the nonstop scooters rushing around and masses of printed flyers I receive daily, they all appear to be doing well.

At the same, a recently opened fresh fruit and vegetable shop, selling the cleanest and most beautiful looking produce, closed down last week as they couldn’t turn over enough to pay their rent!

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Curry-wise I know we have the Clove & the Coronation Curry House but the beauty of Al's was it's no-frills BYO approach. It will be missed. 

Went Corrie Curry House couple of weeks back and was disappointed. Must have changed chef or he had the night off as it was not up to their usual high standards.

Owner brilliant as always though, free shots and a big cake for the birthday boy in our group. 

• Flames 2

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Went Corrie Curry House couple of weeks back and was disappointed. Must have changed chef or he had the night off as it was not up to their usual high standards.

Owner brilliant as always though, free shots and a big cake for the birthday boy in our group. 

We’ll definitely have to try it but in the meantime have a table booked at Al’s the week before they close 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TomF said:

On the subject of Indian, has anyone been to Ganesha? It was very good when it first opened, not heard so much noise of late.  Much more traditional Indian offering than English pallets. 

Had takeaway from there a few years ago and, like you say, it was a bit more off the beaten track than your standard Indian. Should try it again.