Jump to content
IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

@Harry Where is that burger restaurant you were posting about during lockdown 

The Falcon Steakhouse in Wotton-under-Edge. 
Opened again 3 weeks ago as they don’t have outdoor seating. 
Superb local steak, the best double-cooked chips you’ll ever have and a salivating cheesecake for dessert. 
I’m booked in on Friday. 
 

https://www.falconsteakhouse.com
 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Harry said:

The Falcon Steakhouse in Wotton-under-Edge. 
Opened again 3 weeks ago as they don’t have outdoor seating. 
Superb local steak, the best double-cooked chips you’ll ever have and a salivating cheesecake for dessert. 
I’m booked in on Friday. 
 

https://www.falconsteakhouse.com
 

Cheers Harry. Will give it a go

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Steak house that hasnt been mentioned is the ox on corn Street. Havent been post lock down easing. But a couple of times previous and its always been top draw. 

 

Casamia for very special occasion. 

 

Check out the Cinnamon in keynsham. Very good if you have and friends or relatives that are vegan/vegi/intolerance to some foods and like a good curry. Dont panic they also do meat. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went to Root at Wapping Wharf at the weekend. Mainly vegatarian small plates (tapas style), with a couple of meet/fish dishes, but don't let that put you offf - superb food and nice location/views.

 

Agree about Pasture and Little French - very good. And 7 Lucky Gods for the Korean Chicken alone!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, loslobos said:

Steak house that hasnt been mentioned is the ox on corn Street. Havent been post lock down easing. But a couple of times previous and its always been top draw. 

 

Casamia for very special occasion. 

Same here for the Ox - not been back yet but has always been consistently good. Ditto Pasture opposite St. Mary Redcliff. 

Casamia we were lucky enough to have the Chef's Table for the Tasting Menu for our Wedding Anniversary a few years ago - simply awesome. Flawless. The wine flight was amazing too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Haven’t got there yet but when it comes to burgers Squeezed sounds worth a visit: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186220-d14808415-Reviews-Squeezed-Bristol_England.html

Not tried that one, but was persuaded by a mate to try Owee diner. ******* grease overload. Give it a miss unless you have a massive hangover and / or are totally mullered

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not tried that one, but was persuaded by a mate to try Owee diner. ******* grease overload. Give it a miss unless you have a massive hangover and / or are totally mullered

Will happily take your advice. Oddly TTT it reviews quite well on TripAdviser: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186220-d16811166-Reviews-Oowee_Diner-Bristol_England.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Haven’t got there yet but when it comes to burgers Squeezed sounds worth a visit: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186220-d14808415-Reviews-Squeezed-Bristol_England.html

Have been to squeezed twice. It’s nice but I felt that the food had a slight twang to it. Not sure if it’s the oil they use or what. The guys behind squeezed have just opened a hot dog place in wapping wharf too I believe. 
I do love a good burger and have been to Burger Joint, Three Brothers, Asado, Squeezed, Atomic Burger, oowee, honest burgers, bronx burgers and burger theory. 
 

I stand by my opinion that Bronx (Clifton village) and Asado (colston street near the children’s hospital) are the most impressive. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Not tried that one, but was persuaded by a mate to try Owee diner. ******* grease overload. Give it a miss unless you have a massive hangover and / or are totally mullered

Agreed. There’s dirty and then there’s just greasy and not very pleasant  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, jambodinho said:

Have been to squeezed twice. It’s nice but I felt that the food had a slight twang to it. Not sure if it’s the oil they use or what. The guys behind squeezed have just opened a hot dog place in wapping wharf too I believe. 
I do love a good burger and have been to Burger Joint, Three Brothers, Asado, Squeezed, Atomic Burger, oowee, honest burgers, bronx burgers and burger theory. 
 

I stand by my opinion that Bronx (Clifton village) and Asado (colston street near the children’s hospital) are the most impressive. 

Squeezed is the best burger I've ever tasted. 

Honest Burger, Hobgoblin & Three Brothers all up there though.

I tried Bronx a month or so ago, it was terrible! The fries were unbelievably dry, I've never had fries like it & I thought the same about the burger bun. 

I don't like to write places off after 1 visit though, so will definitely give it ago again, might even pop down on the weekend.

Asado really wasn't for me either! May have to put it back on the list as well.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bang these on the list if you've not been...

Pasture (city centre) - Steak/roast dinners

Spitfire BBQ (city centre) - Meat platters etc

Hobgoblin (Glos Rd) - Burgers/'dirty' fries

Shadin (Staple Hill) - Indian food

Matina (St Nics Market) - Middle Eastern wraps

For Bath, there's a few again. But Capadoccia is a great Turkish restaurant. And Jars Mezze is amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

 

Matina (St Nics Market) - Middle Eastern wraps

Agreed. St Nicks has been amazing for top quality street food for years, going back at least 15 years or so I’d say. 

Matina is top quality and fantastic value I’ll agree with that. The Caribbean lady there does the best Curry Goat in town, too. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Agreed. St Nicks has been amazing for top quality street food for years, going back at least 15 years or so I’d say. 

Matina is top quality and fantastic value I’ll agree with that. The Caribbean lady there does the best Curry Goat in town, too. 

Indeed. That food market area is a spoil in general. Coffee, meats, cake, lunch; it has it all there more or less.

  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/06/2021 at 14:05, Bob Turnip said:

Went to Root at Wapping Wharf at the weekend. Mainly vegatarian small plates (tapas style), with a couple of meet/fish dishes, but don't let that put you offf - superb food and nice location/views.

 

Agree about Pasture and Little French - very good. And 7 Lucky Gods for the Korean Chicken alone!

I went to Root a few years ago and thought it was superb, particularly to deliver cooking mostly veg ingredients. Very impressive and has earned it's Michelin Plate. Agree on Pasture and though I had a bad experience at 7 lucky gods,  agree the Korean Chicken and cocktails are very good. I had a tuna sashimi dish which was inedible though. 

On 21/06/2021 at 15:18, CyderInACan said:

Same here for the Ox - not been back yet but has always been consistently good. Ditto Pasture opposite St. Mary Redcliff. 

Casamia we were lucky enough to have the Chef's Table for the Tasting Menu for our Wedding Anniversary a few years ago - simply awesome. Flawless. The wine flight was amazing too. 

I'm off to Casamia in August. It better be good paying £180 up front for food before drinks. I heard Pete Sanchez's new place up in London is a bit style over substance so hope Casamia delivers on both. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I went to Root a few years ago and thought it was superb, particularly to deliver cooking mostly veg ingredients. Very impressive and has earned it's Michelin Plate. Agree on Pasture and though I had a bad experience at 7 lucky gods,  agree the Korean Chicken and cocktails are very good. I had a tuna sashimi dish which was inedible though. 

I'm off to Casamia in August. It better be good paying £180 up front for food before drinks. I heard Pete Sanchez's new place up in London is a bit style over substance so hope Casamia delivers on both. 

What do you get for £180?Seems an awful lot of money for a meal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Slacker said:

What do you get for £180?Seems an awful lot of money for a meal.

I've tried not to look if I'm honest, it's a Michelin * restaurant so I've put faith in the fact they know what they're doing. The venue is spectacular, below the old General Hospital. As I understand it you receive 20 courses. There is one dining time per evening at 7pm, and you enter the restaurant at that time and are looked after for the rest of the evening. Apparently it's good fun - the service is excellent and they play loud music, unlike most pricey places to eat. It's an experience, so I guess it's not just about the food - though I am expecting big things! 

I've paid £50 for Michelin * food so for the price Casamia are charging I am expecting it to be bloody good. It's a once in a blue moon experience tho.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I've tried not to look if I'm honest, it's a Michelin * restaurant so I've put faith in the fact they know what they're doing. The venue is spectacular, below the old General Hospital. As I understand it you receive 20 courses. There is one dining time per evening at 7pm, and you enter the restaurant at that time and are looked after for the rest of the evening. Apparently it's good fun - the service is excellent and they play loud music, unlike most pricey places to eat. It's an experience, so I guess it's not just about the food - though I am expecting big things! 

I've paid £50 for Michelin * food so for the price Casamia are charging I am expecting it to be bloody good. It's a once in a blue moon experience tho.

20 courses is pretty impressive.I imagine as you say,you are very much paying for the whole experience.Bit rich for my blood but hope you have a great night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I'm off to Casamia in August. It better be good paying £180 up front for food before drinks. I heard Pete Sanchez's new place up in London is a bit style over substance so hope Casamia delivers on both. 

Like you say I guess you have to put your trust in them - but that's a lot of trust at that price! Let us know what it's like, definitely sounds like an experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...