IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

The Rising Sun at Pensford does great food, their menu is different from so the all too predictable ones found in many pubs these days. 
I’ve not tried the Sunday lunch yet (book 3 weeks in advance) but I’ve heard it’s very good indeed. 
As an added bonus they have a very good, and well kept range of beers. 

The pub garden is huge - much bigger than the tiny, nightmare for space car park, it looks over the river and across to the viaduct (why can’t you walk over it??)

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 19:47, candygram for mongo said:

Just found this thread as I don’t tend to visit the non football chat forum.

We eat out fairly regularly, if I had to pick my favourite it would be Bravas in Cotham Hill.

Great tapas & atmosphere, killer tunes and Estrella on tap, owner is a red too.

Place is small so is fully booked regularly.

On 13/10/2021 at 15:16, CyderInACan said:

Luvvly jubbly. Might take me a visit up there. El Rincon also (or did, anyway) do draft Galicia. 

Bravas is owned by a City fan too. El Rincon does do Galicia which is indeed far superior to Damm. Though my favourite is still Madrid's Mahou, which is also served by bottle in El Rincon. 

I visited Moltobuono!59 on Park St on Wednesday and it was pitch-perfect homemade Italian pasta. Or to be more specific Sardinian cuisine, which is where the owner is from. I had a truffle oil pasta washed down with a bottle of grillo.  Faultless. Very affordable too. The pomodoro is less than £8 I think. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2021 at 13:49, Ecko said:

Off to Pasture tonight. Been waiting for this for weeks and very excited!

Been to Pasture a couple of times and to be honest was a bit underwhelmed, the second time was for an anniversary meal and my steak had so much salt on it that my mouth was burning for a couple of hours after we left. Lovely looking restaurant and maybe just an off night but it hasn’t inspired me to go back.

I know this is Bristol restaurants but someone who works in London and the city quite often, if you are into your steaks I recommend Goodman’s. They have several restaurants in Mayfair, city and Canary Wharf.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 09:56, MC RISK77 said:

Been to Pasture a couple of times and to be honest was a bit underwhelmed, the second time was for an anniversary meal and my steak had so much salt on it that my mouth was burning for a couple of hours after we left. Lovely looking restaurant and maybe just an off night but it hasn’t inspired me to go back.

I know this is Bristol restaurants but someone who works in London and the city quite often, if you are into your steaks I recommend Goodman’s. They have several restaurants in Mayfair, city and Canary Wharf.

Went to Pasture a couple of times after it opened whilst it was still the new kid on the block & must say each time was outstanding. Haven't been for a couple of years but it'll be a shame if they've let standards slip. 

• Like 1

On 17/10/2021 at 09:56, MC RISK77 said:

Very good call on Goodman.  They are a small chain I'd love to see open a West Country outlet. 

On 20/10/2021 at 13:11, CyderInACan said:

Went to Pasture a couple of times after it opened whilst it was still the new kid on the block & must say each time was outstanding. Haven't been for a couple of years but it'll be a shame if they've let standards slip. 

Been to Pasture at least 10-15 times and it is always exceptional. This includes Sunday lunch.

Not the cheapest, but I have no issue with paying for top quality food and drinks.

It's not uncommon to have to wait months for a peak time/day slot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Hello,

I'm visiting this weekend Thursday - Tuesday (Leaving Tuesday) Can any recommend places to eat please?

Indian, Chinese, Burgers etc

Thanks! 

Burgers:

Asado

Squeezed

Milk Bun

Honest Burger

Three Brothers

Burger Theory

Quay Street Diner

All very good!

Little mention for Pizza on the Park at the top of Park St. It's where Pizza Express used to be and is now run by the owners of Racks.

Really good venue with nice big tables and fussball. The pizzas are really good, as are the starters/light bites like aranchini balls, fritto misto etc. All tasty and presented really well. A notch up from Pizza Express for sure. Some really good offers on in the week too, including 241 pizzas Mon-Fri I believe. 

https://pizzaonthepark.com/

Realised I never did my Casamia review from last August. Suffice to say I was not overly impressed, not helped by being served a fair bit of smoky flavoured food, which I am not a huge fan of. Stepped over the line of being a bit pretentious and style over substance for me. 

For £300+ you expect to be blown away and I can't say I was, though there were some outstanding, memorable dishes. Even the venue was a little underwhelming. 

I did the wine flight, but get this, they sell cans of Heller Pils etc in there for.... £13 each!

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining!!

• Like 1

The missus and I went to Little French earlier this month. Absolutely first-class from start to finish. Fair prices for good portion sizes and above all, excellent Michellin-starred food and service. Tare's on Whapping Wharf and Wilson's in Redland are also very good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

For £300+ you expect to be blown away and I can't say I was, though there were some outstanding, memorable dishes. Even the venue was a little underwhelming. 

Blimey. I know when we went a few years ago it might have still been relatively new at the General but we had the Chef's table and whilst it was expensive it wasn't near the £300 you're now paying. Even with the wine flight. That said though, it was excellent. Maybe - as you say - they're prioritising style over substance. Which is a shame. 

Just visited their website: https://www.exploretock.com/casamiarestaurant/ - it's now an "experience". 

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Off to Clifton Lido on Friday for Swim and Dine (brunch). Looking forward to it after watching it featured on a Fred Seriex show about the West Country last Christmas.

Couple I know went there a few weeks ago, were very complimentary about it. 

• Like 1

On 17/01/2022 at 08:24, iamalagerdrinker said:

Indian, Chinese, Burgers etc

I would've recommended Dynasty if this was about 5 years ago as that really was a fantastic Chinese. Burgers covered above. The Raj is a decent Indian as is Indian Rassay on Hotwells. 

If you're after a bit of all 3 you can do an all-you-can-eat at Za Za Bazaar on the waterfront. 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Blimey. I know when we went a few years ago it might have still been relatively new at the General but we had the Chef's table and whilst it was expensive it wasn't near the £300 you're now paying. Even with the wine flight. That said though, it was excellent. Maybe - as you say - they're prioritising style over substance. Which is a shame. 

Just visited their website: https://www.exploretock.com/casamiarestaurant/ - it's now an "experience".

I think the price point is just all wrong. They should have started it off at a much lower price and built up a reputation from there. Because it is so different I'd still recommend it as an experience; and to try the food. However, I'd be much more proactive in recommending it if it was half the price, so say £90 pp for a tasting menu. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

I would've recommended Dynasty if this was about 5 years ago as that really was a fantastic Chinese. Burgers covered above. The Raj is a decent Indian as is Indian Rassay on Hotwells. 

If you're after a bit of all 3 you can do an all-you-can-eat at Za Za Bazaar on the waterfront. 

Dynasty was great. 

I don’t know about burgers, but the best Indian in Bristol bar none is the Urban Tandoor on Small Street. Ganesha and The Clove used to be quality in BS3 back in the day.