IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

On 06/03/2022 at 20:56, 1960maaan said:

New for me in the last few Days, not sure if it's been mentioned, Bravas Cotham Hill.
I'm impressed. Tapas type of thing, I highly recommend the Pork belly which was on as aSpecial. 
My Mrs said it must be good, as the guy that owns/runs Little French was in there, sat at the Bar stools , which I like the look of.

the deep fried aubergine with molasses on it is top.

sometimes hard to get a space, but been good for a while.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tin said:

Has anyone dined at Tare on Wapping Wharf? We got a voucher as a Christmas present for tasting menu there and are going in a few weeks. All I know is that they kept their Michelin star in the most recent guide.

It's got a Michelin Plate, not a star.

I think @petehinton mentioned it earlier in the thread. 

I've not been yet but it does look very good. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah hugely recommend, was so good. Really good value as well for £50 a pop considering it’s 5/6 courses

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

It's got a Michelin Plate, not a star.

I think @petehinton mentioned it earlier in the thread. 

I've not been yet but it does look very good. 

2 hours ago, tin said:

Has anyone dined at Tare on Wapping Wharf? We got a voucher as a Christmas present for tasting menu there and are going in a few weeks. All I know is that they kept their Michelin star in the most recent guide.

• Thanks 1

On 16/02/2022 at 21:42, frenchred said:

I agree with you completely. Tapas has become hip in this country, in Spain it is still  cheap and cheerfull,  free sometimes and served as you mention above

Years ago I worked for a long time at The Smyth Arms, every Sunday we put chunks of cheese and crisps in bowls along the bar. Good for business to get people in early before the free food was gone and the salted crisps made them drink more ?
As an alternative to cheeses and crisps I also recall having chitterlings on offer for free at The Queens Arms (?) in Chew Magnawl), loverly jubbly ?

Don’t know of any pubs who offer these freebies these days. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 17:39, Red DNA said:

Years ago I worked for a long time at The Smyth Arms, every Sunday we put chunks of cheese and crisps in bowls along the bar. Good for business to get people in early before the free food was gone and the salted crisps made them drink more ?
As an alternative to cheeses and crisps I also recall having chitterlings on offer for free at The Queens Arms (?) in Chew Magnawl), loverly jubbly ?

I do remember a few pubs that used to have very lovely, crispy, salty Roast Potatoes on the bar. Bloody lovely but, as you say, all intended to boost the takings. 

• Like 3

Went to Milk Bun earlier in the week, up in Clifton village.

Burger joint whose USP is that they are the only place in Bristol who make and bake their own buns from scratch. The hard work pays off as the burgers taste superb with big fluffy sesame seed buns and lovely patties. Also, kicked things off with a perfect negroni. 

Highly recommended and will be going back to try more of the menu. 

Our Story - milkbun.co.uk 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Burger joint whose USP is that they are the only place in Bristol who make and bake their own buns from scratch. The hard work pays off as the burgers taste superb with big fluffy sesame seed buns and lovely patties. Also, kicked things off with a perfect negroni. 

I have seen they offer takeaway using one of the delivery apps (Uber or Deliveroo), haven't tried them though. If the food is as good as reviews suggest then I don't really want to dilute the experience by having some bloke throwing it in a box on a moped and driving for 15 minutes before it gets to me.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2022 at 08:24, Kid in the Riot said:

I’ve been a few times, the first time was lockdown restricted & had to get it takeaway, it was so dry & the chips were some of the worst I’ve ever had. 

I gave it another go when it was possible to sit in & had one of the best burgers I’ve ever had. Look at it, it’s a beauty. 

I went again a few weeks later & I was disappointed again. It doesn’t touch the consistency of Hobgoblin/Three Brothers/Squeezed for me!

4DF87578-871D-4540-9079-87BC03D52DC7.jpeg

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

I’ve been a few times, the first time was lockdown restricted & had to get it takeaway, it was so dry & the chips were some of the worst I’ve ever had. 

I gave it another go when it was possible to sit in & had one of the best burgers I’ve ever had. Look at it, it’s a beauty. 

I went again a few weeks later & I was disappointed again. It doesn’t touch the consistency of Hobgoblin/Three Brothers/Squeezed for me!

Nice pic! That's disappointing to hear on consistency, but I'll certainly take the risk based on my first experience & hope they've ironed out any issues.

Three Brothers and Squeezed are both very good, though similar to you I had a takeaway from Squeezed quite recently and by the time I'd got it home the fries were cold and soggy. 

Hobgoblin is ok, though I don't think their patties are particularly good quality and are often too dry. Also, had crap service in there a couple of times.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 17:39, Red DNA said:

The Orchard used to take round chunks of bread dipped in the roast beef juices from their roast beef baguettes…yum mee

• Flames 1

Bit of a worrying time for restaurants at the moment. I know an owner who is as worried now as he was during the pandemic. They are facing paying more NI on their employees, energy bills rising (in some cases tripled if they were in a fixed contract) + general food inflation. People will be eating out less due to not having as much disposable income. A lot of independants will not survive the next period of time

On 01/04/2022 at 11:53, TonyTonyTony said:

Bit of a worrying time for restaurants at the moment. I know an owner who is as worried now as he was during the pandemic. They are facing paying more NI on their employees, energy bills rising (in some cases tripled if they were in a fixed contract) + general food inflation. People will be eating out less due to not having as much disposable income. A lot of independants will not survive the next period of time

Local pub have got through about 8 different cooks since reopening, they are a chain pub and the manager isn't about to pay more than minimum wage. (Not his choice).

So cooks come in, work a few shifts and then leave again because someone else can offer them another 50p/£1/£2 an hour. Which, when the wage is already low you'll take all day long.

Higher food costs, higher wages, increased gas/electricity and a UK population also feeling the squeeze and it gets to the point where if you do decide to go out for a meal, you'll probably be looking at the more gastro establishments than the 'burger and a pint' places.

On 25/03/2022 at 08:24, Kid in the Riot said:

I went there last summer and it was stunning! It’s not very big in there but if you’re up and around Clifton and fancy stopping by for a quick bite, it’s perfect.

Hub Box on Whiteladies is quite nice too if you’re a burger lover like me!

• Like 1

On 15/04/2022 at 13:58, Jerseybean said:

Only been once a few years back but I can still remember how good the massaman gae (lamb) was, faultless. It was a dry restaurant when I went, not sure if that's still the case. 

Visited Box-E recently, which lived up to the hype. Sat inside right by the kitchen watching chef Elliott work. He's former head chef at a Michelin star restaurant in London. 

Everything from the homemade bread and salt and seaweed butter they bring out (on the house), to my guinea fowl and borlotti beans main, to the pannacotta dessert (many say the best pannacotta in Bristol, and whilst I can't say for sure, if there's a better one then it must be pretty damn good) was excellent. 

Some limecello (note, made with limes not lemon) to finish off a memorable meal. Would go back in a heartbeat. 

On 19/04/2022 at 17:47, Club and Country said:

Off to souk kitchen Friday for first time in about 5 years and can’t wait, sure will be as good as I remember after being a frequent visitor 

We actually worked out whilst in there was probably more like 7 years

a superb little gaff as good as ever , we certainly won’t be leaving it that long again 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Did anybody ever eat in Jamie Oliver’s Italian restaurant on Park Street?

If so, what was it like?

I never tried the Bristol one, but I ate a few times in his London one, and was extremely disappointed each time.

I found the door staff pretentious and the the food quite boring and extremely expensive for what it was, and the prices for wine were way over the top.

I am just curious as to whether anybody on the forum who might have eaten in the Bristol branch shared my views or enjoyed their experience.

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If so, what was it like?

I never tried the Bristol one, but I ate a few times in his London one, and was extremely disappointed each time.

I found the door staff pretentious and the the food quite boring and extremely expensive for what it was, and the prices for wine were way over the top.

I am just curious as to whether anybody on the forum who might have eaten in the Bristol branch shared my views or enjoyed their experience.

They are overpriced Franchises.

As authentic as a Hawaiian pizza. Avoid at all costs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If so, what was it like?

Shite. I had a simple pasta dish congealed to ****. How hard is it to serve a sausage pasta? It’s long gone now though on Park street.

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

If so, what was it like?

Yeah we ate on there once, it was underwhelming, bland, nonsense. Must’ve closed its doors a good 5 years ago now. Not missed. 

A “celeb” restaurant that I do miss though, was Raymond Blanc’s in Quakers Friars. Used to love that. Note to self: must try Klosterhaus soon. 

17 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yeah we ate on there once, it was underwhelming, bland, nonsense. Must’ve closed its doors a good 5 years ago now. Not missed. 

A “celeb” restaurant that I do miss though, was Raymond Blanc’s in Quakers Friars. Used to love that. Note to self: must try Klosterhaus soon. 

Probably a little bit before your time, but the late Keith Floyd used to have a restaurant in Clifton back in the 1970s, named, quite simply, Floyd's.

A really quirky restaurant, although the food was always fantastic, and Mr Floyd would frequently leave his kitchen to ensure everything was OK.  

Edited by PHILINFRANCE
  • Like 2