IGNORED

Bristol's best restaurants?

CyderInACan

4 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Probably a little bit before your time, but the late Keith Floyd used to have a restaurant in Clifton back in the 1970s, named, quite simply, Floyd's.

A really quirky restaurant, although the food was always fantastic, and Mr Floyd would frequently leave his kitchen to ensure everything was OK.  

Yeah would’ve loved to have dined chez Keith, huge personality and bon viveur. And obviously not a bad chef!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Probably a little bit before your time, but the late Keith Floyd used to have a restaurant in Clifton back in the 1970s, named, quite simply, Floyd's.

A really quirky restaurant, although the food was always fantastic, and Mr Floyd would frequently leave his kitchen to ensure everything was OK.  

There's a small plaque on the wall saying Floyd used to own it. Just across from the entrance of the Avon Gorge hotel. 

5 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Didnt know sandwichsandwich had a brand new shop open in Baldwin street. Literally just next door from the old one.

Epic sarnies

Tony.Please don't take this personally but what does "literally next door" mean?.Is it next door?Is it a couple/few doors away?Is it on the ******* moon?No offence meant to you but I  detest the word "literally ".

Tom,can you do that thing that changes a word like you did with FTG?Maybe change "literally" to "satsuma" or "archipelago" or "ballbag" or bloody anything. 

Again no offence to you T3.Have a pleasant evening. 

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Slacker said:

Tony.Please don't take this personally but what does "literally next door" mean?.Is it next door?Is it a couple/few doors away?Is it on the ******* moon?No offence meant to you but I  detest the word "literally ".

Literally next door means it’s (literally) next door to the old shop. Like literally. Hope this helps

• Haha 1

On 23/04/2022 at 20:37, PHILINFRANCE said:

I loved that bloke, when he first hit our screens I wasn’t into food at all and couldn’t boil an egg. By the time Floyd in France had aired I was cooking Soup de Poisson and Boeuf bourguignon. 

I once visited his pub, The Maltsers Arms on the river Dart, which he renamed Floyds Inn (Sometimes) A lovely pub which I still visit, now I live quite close. Much to my delight he was in when I visited and was a laugh, the food that day wasn’t up to much, just reheated stuff.

A few months later it had gone bust and closed. A great character and foodie but a terrible businessman.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Much to my delight he was in when I visited and was a laugh, the food that day wasn’t up to much, just reheated stuff.

A few months later it had gone bust and closed. A great character and foodie but a terrible businessman.

He was, indeed, a great character and, for the most part, a good laugh.

I must have eaten at Floyd’s in Clifton at least once a month over a six-month period, so often in fact that he would always come out (when he was there) say Hello and have a friendly chat; not just about the meal, but about life in general.

I was always accompanied by my (then) girlfriend, an attractive young lady, and we were both quite sure he quite fancied her.

No problem, as everything was always good humoured, but, unfortunately, we (my girlfriend and I) were going through a ‘problematic’ time on the occasion of our last visit and really just wanted a quiet dinner to have a heart-to-heart chat.

Surprise, surprise, who should come bouncing out of the kitchen, but the ever (alcohol induced) jovial Keith Floyd, rabbiting on about ‘n’importe quoi’, and telling us what a lovely couple we were.

We finished that evening ?.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Anyone been to Tare at Cargo? Supposed to be lovely but a devil to get a booking. 

Pretty sure they only have one sitting for dinner during the week - 7pm, compared to two at the weekend. If you look now there is availability in early May if you are flexbile. Never been myself

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I loved that bloke, when he first hit our screens I wasn’t into food at all and couldn’t boil an egg. By the time Floyd in France had aired I was cooking Soup de Poisson and Boeuf bourguignon. 

I once visited his pub, The Maltsers Arms on the river Dart, which he renamed Floyds Inn (Sometimes) A lovely pub which I still visit, now I live quite close. Much to my delight he was in when I visited and was a laugh, the food that day wasn’t up to much, just reheated stuff.

Visited his pub a good few times back in the day.

Actually always ate well there - no complaints. He was always around the times I visited but more in a supervisorory role rather than actually cooking. As is well known, it could be said Keith liked a drink, I remember on one occasion when a tray of food was waiting to be delivered to a table he stuck his finger in to a bowl of mash to test it was warm enough!

He was certainly a character.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Anyone been to Tare at Cargo? Supposed to be lovely but a devil to get a booking. 

Went last summer, was incredible. Definitely worth going, whenever you can get a table. 

Also went to Marmo last week, is another big recommendation from me to those on here! Food and service was amazing. We were pretty much in and out in an hour. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Henry said:

Best burger place open at lunchtime?

I had a look back on the thread and saw a few. Some were closed for lunch or reviews a bit dodgy since lockdown. Wondered what the up the date list would look like.

Three Brothers used to do a lunchtime deal. Not sure if they do one now though. 

Edit, just checked and they still do.

https://threebrothersburgers.co.uk/general/new-event-here-now-coming-see-us/

Edited by Ecko
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, petehinton said:

Also went to Marmo last week, is another big recommendation from me to those on here! Food and service was amazing. We were pretty much in and out in an hour. 

Went Marmo last year, and it had the feel of a place still finding its feet for me. Fried pigs head starter (moulded in the shape of a pigs head) was memorable but the rest of the meal was a bit hit and miss. Pretty unusual menu too. I'd say it's Italian inspired food, as opposed to traditional/modern Italian cuisine. One to watch though. 

I was almost tempted to start another thread , but I'll stick it here.
Sunday lunch is an interesting one, prices and quality vary massively. Not done it for a while when we did the usual Kensington, Duck & Willow , Ostrich, Cottage and Broken Dock, all good in their own way. Today we were lucky to do a walk in in the Phoenix behind Cabot Circus car park. Nice , tasty traditional roast for around £12 a head. First time I'd been in here, nice pub with some decent beers, had a nice Pale ale , and good friendly service. We were lucky as they had a cancellation while we were waiting for friends, so you would have to book normally.

Would be interested in other Sunday Lunch suggestions.

22 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I was almost tempted to start another thread , but I'll stick it here.
Sunday lunch is an interesting one, prices and quality vary massively. Not done it for a while when we did the usual Kensington, Duck & Willow , Ostrich, Cottage and Broken Dock, all good in their own way. Today we were lucky to do a walk in in the Phoenix behind Cabot Circus car park. Nice , tasty traditional roast for around £12 a head. First time I'd been in here, nice pub with some decent beers, had a nice Pale ale , and good friendly service. We were lucky as they had a cancellation while we were waiting for friends, so you would have to book normally.

Would be interested in other Sunday Lunch suggestions.

I miss the Rummer...it was by far the best Sunday Roast in the City imo. Sadly they stopped doing them. 

Since I've struggled to find consistently good.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, spudski said:

I miss the Rummer...it was by far the best Sunday Roast in the City imo. Sadly they stopped doing them. 

Since I've struggled to find consistently good.

I know what you mean, consistency can be a problem.
I found what I thought was the best Burger & Sunday lunch place when we went to Pigsty. Then went during Lockdown and it was out doors, not good. I would recommend trying the Kensington though.  Depends what level you want, I liked the Phoenix at a cheap & cheerful level, but Bar 44 is great but more expensive. 
That reminds me, must try and get back to Bar44.

• Like 1