IGNORED

In conversation with .... Shaun Taylor

headhunter

This latest episode of the FBC Podcast features that giant of a man who captained City to promotion in 1997/98:

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-cp55i-105565d 

At age 23 Shaun was a late entrant in the world of professional football when joining Exeter City in 1986. He played 200 games there winning the [then] 4th Division Championship before a move to Swindon Town.

He was an ever present in 92/93 season scoring a Flintesque 13 goals as that lot down the M4 secured promotion to the Premier League. Again an ever present in that one season in the top flight, two successive relegations followed before he led the side back to the Championship.

Shaun's move to City for £50k came in September 1996 and although missing the last 10 games of the season through injury he'd already established himself as a firm favourite with the fans with his tough uncompromising style.

97/98 is the season he will be remembered for as he captained the side to promotion under John Ward. Had Goater not been sold and Shaun not suffered injury in the top of the table clash with Watford with 3 games remaining City probably would have gone up as Champions rather than runners-up.

That injury against Watford perhaps more than anything contributed to that single season [98/99] in the Championship as he did not play until 8 games from the end and by then City's relegation was all but secured.

Shaun hung up his boots in 2000 but stayed on the coaching staff until 2005 then followed spells with FGR ,Exeter and Torquay.

Still living in his native Devon, Shaun is now a Maintenance Manager for a local care home group.

How we could have done with someone possessing his character and commitment in recent years!

4 hours ago, headhunter said:

This latest episode of the FBC Podcast features that giant of a man who captained City to promotion in 1997/98:

At age 23 Shaun was a late entrant in the world of professional football when joining Exeter City in 1986. He played 200 games there winning the [then] 4th Division Championship before a move to Swindon Town.

He was an ever present in 92/93 season scoring a Flintesque 13 goals as that lot down the M4 secured promotion to the Premier League. Again an ever present in that one season in the top flight, two successive relegations followed before he led the side back to the Championship.

Shaun's move to City for £50k came in September 1996 and although missing the last 10 games of the season through injury he'd already established himself as a firm favourite with the fans with his tough uncompromising style.

97/98 is the season he will be remembered for as he captained the side to promotion under John Ward. Had Goater not been sold and Shaun not suffered injury in the top of the table clash with Watford with 3 games remaining City probably would have gone up as Champions rather than runners-up.

That injury against Watford perhaps more than anything contributed to that single season [98/99] in the Championship as he did not play until 8 games from the end and by then City's relegation was all but secured.

Shaun hung up his boots in 2000 but stayed on the coaching staff until 2005 then followed spells with FGR ,Exeter and Torquay.

Still living in his native Devon, Shaun is now a Maintenance Manager for a local care home group.

How we could have done with someone possessing his character and commitment in recent years!

Excellent post and as a player he gave everything both Swindon and you guys 

6 hours ago, headhunter said:

Too right. Always 100% up for it, never swerved a challenge, hated anyone getting past him. 

How different it is now I think, as I see our players trot away without a care if they've lost the ball.  

1 minute ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Who would you have first choice Flint or Taylor?

Flinty got goals and probably was a better all-round player in his prime.  Both were talismanic and inspiring players.

As the OP says, oh to have such committment and grit last season.

2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Flinty got goals and probably was a better all-round player in his prime.  Both were talismanic and inspiring players.

As the OP says, oh to have such committment and grit last season.

It's hard to disagree although Flint obviously improved when he left us as he was still relatively young and a late starter when Danny Wilson took a chance on him from non league 

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Shaun Taylor. Without a doubt. Hardest City player I’ve ever known. He’d be right at the top of my list for players I’d buy a pint. Him and Ade Akinbiyi - my absolute faves. 

12 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Shaun Taylor. Without a doubt. Hardest City player I’ve ever known. He’d be right at the top of my list for players I’d buy a pint. Him and Ade Akinbiyi - my absolute faves. 

He was proper tough, firstly that gum shield & secondly he didn’t even foul, he just physically dominated his opponent.

Remember one home game where he won 3 headers against his opponent, sent the ball back where it came from each time & absolutely battered his man, 4th time the ball was in the air, his opponent didn’t even bother to put in a challenge.

Game over.

17 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Taylor for me. Incredibly consistent, I swear he’d go game after game without giving the ball away.

Even in a 50/50 dual he’d always win and find a city player even if it was just a glancing header

21 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Taylor for me. Incredibly consistent, I swear he’d go game after game without giving the ball away.

Even in a 50/50 dual he’d always win and find a city player even if it was just a glancing header

I don't ever remember him getting sent off for either club 

7 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As great as Shaun was, it's worth remembering that he played most of his games for us at 3rd Tier level, whereas Flint played most of his seasons at 2nd Tier. 

Feel I have to defend my narrowly preferring Flinty over Taylor in the question @Shaun Taylor asked!  

Without being disrespectful to him you probably had him at the end of his career as he was immense in the old 1st division and held his own in the Premiership for a season 

9 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Without being disrespectful to him you probably had him at the end of his career as he was immense in the old 1st division and held his own in the Premiership for a season 

Very true. I'm only judging both on their time at AG.

What both had in common was they were warriors and inspired the players around them. Having that sort of personality can't be coached. It's just natural to some people. 

9 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

What both had in common was they were warriors and inspired the players around them. Having that sort of personality can't be coached. It's just natural to some people. 

Yes spot on and similar to the Terry Butcher, Tony Adams days where as now they probably wouldn't get a look in as coaches look for defenders that can pass the ball out of defence etc.

On 04/06/2021 at 09:09, headhunter said:

I hate to sound like a complete school boy, but don’t suppose you’d ask ST if you could give me his email address so I can drop him an email?

That’d be proper Jim’ll fix it stuff... well... before it was weird!

57 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

100%.

You can’t coach “wanting it” both Taylor & Flint were fearless & hated getting beat, as you said earlier, compare & contrast with some of those who wore the shirt so pathetically last season..

Might seem an odd comparison seeing he had the physique of a pipe cleaner, but in his way Tom Ritchie was just like those 2, he bloody never stopped trying, even when we were beaten, he just never gave in, fantastic pro.

On 05/06/2021 at 11:11, Shaun Taylor said:

I don't ever remember him getting sent off for either club

I remember him getting sent off for us. I can't remember who it was against.

Anyway, he had a rush of blood to the brain and while on the ground cleared the Ball off the line by sweeping it away with his arm. 

Please someone confirm I'm not going bonkers with my memory of this?

On 04/06/2021 at 03:09, headhunter said:

Now that was an excellent interview David. Far more enjoyable than the Millen one. 

Great questions, great answers and a real honest straight talking guy.

And what a career and what a player we had for a short period of time. Did not realise he spent more time at City as a coach.

Many thanks.

Good listen, great to have him on as this was really my teenage era and a good trip down memory lane. 

In the way of trying a bit of contrive criticism (and it may just be me) but my preference in long form like this is that I wish you'd just let him speak rather than trying to manage the interview - there were times in there where it felt like (to me) you wanted to let him know how much you knew rather than just letting him continue.

Keep up the good work, it's this sort of stuff that's keeping me interested in City at the moment with the football being so poor/closed season. 

On 06/06/2021 at 22:23, bcfcredandwhite said:

Loved Shaun Taylor. 
one of very few players who would get a standing ovation from the whole ground at a Swindon v City derby.  
My goodness we could do with the likes of him now......

Agreed he was loved by both sets of fans and players like him are few and far between. 

Archived