IGNORED

Michelle Owen - Twitter - Put Down

Davefevs

Brilliant reply.

Pretty sad comment by the bloke in the first place but nowhere near as sad as the losers who message her trying to be her “friend”, there are some A grade ******* weirdos out there.

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant reply.

Pretty sad comment by the bloke in the first place but nowhere near as sad as the losers who message her trying to be her “friend”, there are some A grade ******* weirdos out there.

Does that not work then??  Oh well, onto plan H...

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant reply.

I don’t get the comment. You’ve got the football stance and elbows? Am I missing something? Is it some form of insult? I genuinely have no idea. 

15 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don’t get the comment. You’ve got the football stance and elbows? Am I missing something? Is it some form of insult? I genuinely have no idea. 

I can only assume it’s being read as being patronising, as the guy clearly didn’t know she used to be a professional footballer. In fairness, I didn’t either!

11 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

I can only assume it’s being read as being patronising, as the guy clearly didn’t know she used to be a professional footballer. In fairness, I didn’t either!

I read it as part patronising / sexist, e.g. blimey - a woman looking like a footballer.  I thought it was a good response from her.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Exactly. No way on Earth a stranger would say that to a bloke, former footballer or not.

Based on my near 50 years on this earth, I can't agree with that, it simply isn't true. People say things to blokes they don't know all the time. Do we always have to think the worst of people (esp. men)?

39 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

Oh my days I can’t believe she said that she is supposed to be a professional ITV should tear up her contract 

Eh? I don't get this mate.

Someone gave her ( in my mind) a back-handed compliment, implying she looked like she could play football, which surprised him.

She then responded by saying she used to play at the top level of womens football.

Absolutely nothing wrong by either of them, although it showed a little bit of ignorance from the guy.

I don't think he meant it as disrespectful at all

8 hours ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Based on my near 50 years on this earth, I can't agree with that, it simply isn't true. People say things to blokes they don't know all the time. Do we always have to think the worst of people (esp. men)?

People say things to blokes they don’t know and people say things to women they don’t know. That is true. But not necessarily the same things.

I struggle to imagine a scenario where a man said to a man they did not know who was playing football “wow, that’s really impressive. Your pose even looks a bit like a real footballer”, which is what has happened here. 

However well intended it was, there is no getting around the fact the subtext is “you look less terrible at football than I assumed”, which has to lead to a question of why he assumed that in the first place.

Archived