IGNORED

Michelle Owen - Twitter - Put Down

Davefevs

17 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant reply.

Pretty sad comment by the bloke in the first place but nowhere near as sad as the losers who message her trying to be her “friend”, there are some A grade ******* weirdos out there.

Sorry, I won’t do it any more ?

8 hours ago, RED4LIFE said:

Eh? I don't get this mate.

Someone gave her ( in my mind) a back-handed compliment, implying she looked like she could play football, which surprised him.

She then responded by saying she used to play at the top level of womens football.

Absolutely nothing wrong by either of them, although it showed a little bit of ignorance from the guy.

I don't think he meant it as disrespectful at all

I thought he was being sarcastic…

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

People say things to blokes they don’t know and people say things to women they don’t know. That is true. But not necessarily the same things.

I struggle to imagine a scenario where a man said to a man they did not know who was playing football “wow, that’s really impressive. Your pose even looks a bit like a real footballer”, which is what has happened here. 

However well intended it was, there is no getting around the fact the subtext is “you look less terrible at football than I assumed”, which has to lead to a question of why he assumed that in the first place.

The original post by Michelle was light hearted, the response equally so. 

I've done lots of carpentry jobs in view of the public, fences/gates even built garden furniture. Many times complete strangers have said "you're doing a good job there". I then tell them I used to do a carpentry for a living. It usually starts a conversation. No subtext, no offense given, none taken. 

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

This made I larf.

550D64D6-02BA-46F3-9E49-5AA86E4A440D.thumb.jpeg.daf045bb3c5ac6e31cc8021e8b90321b.jpeg

Nice put-down.

Things is though, I don’t think the guy was trying to put her down. Sounds like he was trying to comment on the photo and giving her a compliment. If that was a overweight ginger man and someone made the same comment, No one would say anything. People are just trying to make something out of a non story. 

2 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

The original post by Michelle was light hearted, the response equally so. 

I've done lots of carpentry jobs in view of the public, fences/gates even built garden furniture. Many times complete strangers have said "you're doing a good job there". I then tell them I used to do a carpentry for a living. It usually starts a conversation. No subtext, no offense given, none taken. 

Yeah - but it is different someone seeing your work and saying you are doing a good job. What has happened here is the equivalent of someone sees you with a hammer and saying “wow, you actually look like you could build a chair”. I agree it was all light hearted but it was a weird comment for the guy to make.

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think I may have got that wrong. She supports Villla but didnt play for them.

Played for Cardiff and Keynsham, and you say Portishead too ?

No she did play for Portishead Ladies, under her married surname as opposed to Owen.  Seen to recall she scored a lot of goals for them, albeit only when she wasn’t working for sky 

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I know her as a sports broadcaster, I had no idea that she played the game to a high standard.

So the original comment doesn't strike me as odd, more an observation. The 'correction' seems neither harsh or a put down.

Who did she play for?

A football team I guess

2 hours ago, redpole said:

If that was a overweight ginger man and someone made the same comment, No one would say anything. People are just trying to make something out of a non story. 

I think that is the point she is trying to make. In her eyes, she’s been put in the same category as ‘a overweight  ginger man’.

I’m not sure many people would have made the same remark to an ex-premier league male football player!

8 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I think that is the point she is trying to make. In her eyes, she’s been put in the same category as ‘a overweight  ginger man’.

I’m not sure many people would have made the same remark to an ex-premier league male football player!

I think that they would because the original post is essentially along the lines of "Still got it I see" which is a compliment.

Not that her response reads as a put down or even a bit spiky hence the smiley on the end of it.

Why is there a thread on this?

Why have I just replied to it?  :fear:

16 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Jeez- sure the bloke didn’t mean it as a put down but hey the snowflake offended by anything generation has turned him into a creepy villain…before anyone decides to be offended by this post I appreciate she could well be a decent footballer

You sound like a right snowflake yourself.  

That's the thing about the 'culture war'.  As soon as anyone uses that term they are by definition a snowflake themselves.  Ready to be offended about someone being offended about something or other. Well, I'm offended about you being offended about somebody I don't know being offended by something some bloke put on social media directed at someone he doesn't know.

Do i qualify as a snowflake myself?

5 hours ago, redpole said:

Things is though, I don’t think the guy was trying to put her down. Sounds like he was trying to comment on the photo and giving her a compliment. If that was a overweight ginger man and someone made the same comment, No one would say anything. People are just trying to make something out of a non story. 

It is a non story, i cant believe this pointless thread has had so many replies.

I have met Michelle - she lives in Portishead. She is very down to earth and lovely, but my mate from up north embarrassed himself when he claimed to know her playing history. Confidently said he knew she had played for Liverpool, Newcastle and Man U in the Premier League.........awkward. She very calmly said he had her muddled with Michael Owen. What a ****

Archived