IGNORED

Passive City: The Numbers

Davefevs

Saw this today.4DC80F2A-6084-4D62-B2EE-0450B76066E9.thumb.jpeg.2ee9b49a988a86fc6227c70622c8df93.jpeg

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Basically City allow other teams to make far too many passes.  Only Millwall and Wednesday worse.

They had the lowest number of turnovers in the opposition’s final 40 metres of the pitch, yet when they did they converted into goals at a high rate.  You can see why Nige wants a more fit and athletic team.  Early season we were quite effective, but steadily got worse as the season went on.

19836C64-206D-444A-A742-328353FD839A.thumb.jpeg.f055385c540911684880beccdbfe116d.jpeg

⬆️⬆️⬆️ Here you can see where City pinched the ball.  They were incredibly effective in converting turnovers in the centre of the pitch.  Good sides might allow the ball to go wide, but then squeeze as the ball is played infield.  You’ll know I moan about condensing one side of the pitch.  Sometimes that can be winning the ball clipped down the channel from wide, but the ball is inevitably 60-70 yards away from our opponents goal when we retrieve.  Much better if we can pinch the ball played square inside.

9595C7FC-FE9A-4D72-B425-A9EA063F284F.thumb.jpeg.d6e755bf542bdcf6ff0acd929ec4f93b.jpeg

⬆️⬆️⬆️ As you can see we are the worst team at pinching the ball high up the pitch.

All data / charts from:

https://dataviz.theanalyst.com/season-reviews/2020/?competition_id=10&season_id=2020

12 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

So based on that and the statement that NP want fitter, faster, bigger in some cases more athletic players, how many of the suggested or linked players does that rule out? I would say the majority ?

Jerry Yates, Matty James, Matt Crooks, meet that.

Michael Smith doesn’t theoretically, but part of a high press at Rotherham so able to work the press in a team.

Who we’re you thinking that doesn’t?

Lees, pigott, Atkinson, aneke, vokes, Smith to name a few.

atkinson I accept brings different qualities we need but the rest don’t fit the mould imo.

crooks is a presence certainly but not quick or athletic and are we likely to play the Rotherham way that suits him as a player?

yates yes maybe but we stand no chance of getting him so he’s off the menu I reckon.

cant say I know enough about matty James to comment on style of play other than he’s a trusted and well experienced player that was a catalyst in helping Coventry perform the way they did.

“Passive” is the best word to describe City’s performances over the last couple of seasons. Allowing opponents to dictate play, standing off them, losing 50/50 challenges, being outmuscled, no coherent style of play....the list goes on. 

I sometimes enjoy Davefevs stats but this lot are from last season's woes. Worth discussing if nothing else to talk about but history is history and we are all looking foreward now to new fixtures, new coaching, new players. If i had a penny for every time i praised the tactics of Lj and a quid for every time people on here criticised me or previous managers, I'd never have to work again. But as i say one sometimes need to accept lots of people have been very wrong in the past few years and maybe now is a good time to draw a line, re-set expectations under new mgt (forget we were competitive under previous regimes) and hope the best of a new manager who has done ok elsewhere.

Personally, it is cricket season now and i'll look at the transfer actions as they happen and the pre-seasons as they happen and be ready to go again in August - still a long way off

COYRs

Passive is a good word. Sums it up quite well IMO.

I would also suggest reactive, and not so much individual words but descriptions such as lacking initiative and less than progressive let's say.

Said it for 2 years, we lack shots on goal, we concede quite a few, we lack possession.

Allowing opposition to make as many passes, passing actions as we do suggests a lack of pressing.

The full set!

33 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I sometimes enjoy Davefevs stats but this lot are from last season's woes. Worth discussing if nothing else to talk about but history is history and we are all looking foreward now to new fixtures, new coaching, new players. If i had a penny for every time i praised the tactics of Lj and a quid for every time people on here criticised me or previous managers, I'd never have to work again. But as i say one sometimes need to accept lots of people have been very wrong in the past few years and maybe now is a good time to draw a line, re-set expectations under new mgt (forget we were competitive under previous regimes) and hope the best of a new manager who has done ok elsewhere.

Personally, it is cricket season now and i'll look at the transfer actions as they happen and the pre-seasons as they happen and be ready to go again in August - still a long way off

COYRs

Agreed, so looking forward to not seeing you post until August.

4 hours ago, BOSRed said:

Lees, pigott, Atkinson, aneke, vokes, Smith to name a few.

atkinson I accept brings different qualities we need but the rest don’t fit the mould imo.

crooks is a presence certainly but not quick or athletic and are we likely to play the Rotherham way that suits him as a player?

yates yes maybe but we stand no chance of getting him so he’s off the menu I reckon.

cant say I know enough about matty James to comment on style of play other than he’s a trusted and well experienced player that was a catalyst in helping Coventry perform the way they did.

Lees, marks tight, in your shorts type defender.  We don’t really associate CBs with pressing, pressing happens ahead of the CBs.  High lines, yes, but not pressing.  Atkinson, I therefore don’t include in pressing.

Pigott - what do you know of his pressing game?  Wimbledon one of the better pressing teams in Lg1.  I don’t know enough about that side of his game.

Aneke - are we interested?  Maybe just me, but I really see this as “paper talk”

Vokes - are we interested?  Just Stoke being desperate, can’t believe he’s really in our radar.

Smith - yeah, as I mentioned above.

Crooks - gets about, gets in midfield faces with his physicality. Different type of press admittedly.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Lees, marks tight, in your shorts type defender.  We don’t really associate CBs with pressing, pressing happens ahead of the CBs.  High lines, yes, but not pressing.  Atkinson, I therefore don’t include in pressing.

Pigott - what do you know of his pressing game?  Wimbledon one of the better pressing teams in Lg1.  I don’t know enough about that side of his game.

Aneke - are we interested?  Maybe just me, but I really see this as “paper talk”

Vokes - are we interested?  Just Stoke being desperate, can’t believe he’s really in our radar.

Smith - yeah, as I mentioned above.

Crooks - gets about, gets in midfield faces with his physicality. Different type of press admittedly.

Surprised you even bothered to entertain that nonsense. Fair play David.

Archived