IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Redandproud

4 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

He states players will take the knee in the Euros, I always thought it was optional,it was up to the individual,looks like he's telling them to do it, 

Yes he must’ve done.  You’re right.  What an a hole. 

10 minutes ago, Redandproud said:

He states players will take the knee in the Euros, I always thought it was optional,it was up to the individual,looks like he's telling them to do it, 

Complete supposition.   Southgate had a meeting with small group of players, then the whole squad to discuss the booing.  He seems the opposite of a dictator if anything.   He is merely backing his players' collective decision and taking the heat off them by addressing it himself.  Thought he showed once again he has principles and is a leader.  Good on him   

1 minute ago, Red Skin said:

Complete supposition.   Southgate had a meeting with small group of players, then the whole squad to discuss the booing.  He seems the opposite of a dictator if anything.   He is merely backing his players' collective decision and taking the heat off them by addressing it himself.  Thought he showed once again he has principles and is a leader.  Good on him   

Agreed. I just wish he was a more dynamic/better football coach. 

Just now, Fordy62 said:

Does he need to be?  Surely as England manager you just get in whatever English coaches you feel you need? They'll probably come just because they'll be presenting their country?

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

His main strength is bringing together a group of players in harmony which is what you need at a major tournament, I don’t think you have time in international football with the turnover of players to instil too much tactical nuance into a team although I accept that may be naive on my part. If he has everyone playing for the shirt and is able to man manage a squad of players, most of whom won’t be starting each game, in a way which unites rather than divides I think that may be half the battle. I don’t think we were a great team in the World Cup but we got to the semis off the back of that alone

8 minutes ago, Red Skin said:

Surely you are not suggesting people should actually read the interview before jumping to conclusions?! ?

9 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

His main strength is bringing together a group of players in harmony which is what you need at a major tournament, I don’t think you have time in international football with the turnover of players to instil too much tactical nuance into a team although I accept that may be naive on my part. If he has everyone playing for the shirt and is able to man manage a squad of players, most of whom won’t be starting each game, in a way which unites rather than divides I think that may be half the battle. I don’t think we were a great team in the World Cup but we got to the semis off the back of that alone

Interesting thoughts and could be some truth to it… but I suppose the squad reminds me a little of our own under LJ and DH, lots of individual talent, but can’t play together as a team. 

Let’s hope I’m proved wrong. 

10 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

Try paying attention to what’s actually said instead of making something out of nothing just to justify your ‘views’

Needs a level of intelligence to be able to do that.  Far far easier just to come out with some sweeping, untrue statement that fits in with their views (as you say).  

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

Needs a level of intelligence to be able to do that.  Far far easier just to come out with some sweeping, untrue statement that fits in with their views (as you say).  

Sadly “Gareth Southgate is the secret puppet master behind Black Lives Matter” isn’t even the most ludicrous conspiracy theory I’ve read on the board today...

18 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Interesting thoughts and could be some truth to it… but I suppose the squad reminds me a little of our own under LJ and DH, lots of individual talent, but can’t play together as a team. 

Yep. That was my observation too.

Very little cohesion or pattern of play. Maybe though when he’s got the full squad to select from he can blend the team. I doubt it though.

Coming to the conclusion he’s another FA suit with little merit. Hope also he proves me wrong and he produces an innovative, expansive, thrilling attacking game-plan that will have the rest of Europe in awe. Suspect we’ll end up crab- footballing are way to the quarters or semis though. 

23 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Very little cohesion or pattern of play. Maybe though when he’s got the full squad to select from he can blend the team. I doubt it though.

Coming to the conclusion he’s another FA suit with little merit. Hope also he proves me wrong and he produces an innovative, expansive, thrilling attacking game-plan that will have the rest of Europe in awe. Suspect we’ll end up crab- footballing are way to the quarters or semis though. 

He got us to a World Cup semi final so to say he’s ‘just a suit’ is pretty disingenuous.  I get that his style of play is pretty workmanlike at times and can be frustrating to watch but that’s generally international football these days and especially tournament football. France have incredible individual players but are pretty formulaic for example. It’s just how it is. 

1 hour ago, pl00peh91 said:

Spot on.  He does seem to have created a togetherness and almost club atmosphere that was missing from the Golden Generation as players like Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerrard have spoken about where there players from the same clubs all kept themselves to themselves. 

44 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Sadly “Gareth Southgate is the secret puppet master behind Black Lives Matter” isn’t even the most ludicrous conspiracy theory I’ve read on the board today...

You mean the England squad isn't a secret Marxist cell after all?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

It was sometimes said about LJ that results and performance were better when he had fewest choices available. And it’s often said about national team managers that they can struggle with the huge breadth of choice that’s inevitably available to them.

Ive always thought there’s a lot in that. Some managers have strength in getting the best out of a small group, turning them into a real team. Others have the knack of knowing what they want and - with all the resources in the world available to them, being single minded and focussed about that. Alf Ramsey got a lot of criticism about his formation and team selections for the 1966 World Cup, but was an example of the latter. Knew just what he wanted to do and which players he needed. 

4 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Have the managers of any other participating countries stated whether their teams will be taking the knee in the Euros?

Not sure but I doubt it’s been in the news anywhere else. Southgate was probably also asked about it rather than making a statement out of the blue. 

If the players want to kneel & use it as a show of solidarity then fair enough.

Why would anyone let that ruin their day?

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

FA Suit with little merit????. You speak like he’s Charles ******* Hughes or something. The bloke only played International level himself so what does he know? What did you manage in comparison to be able to legitimately look down on him from so far up that high horse of yours?

34 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

It's worse than that. They're just a collective of bang average, over paid footballers who think they're all that..

Never met any of them to know what they all think of themselves individually but don’t you find it ironic that we make these statements and yet help fund, through season ticket sales and POTD, a far, far more limited bunch of Championship footballers, some earning £20k per week and many of who are probably total bell ends with a drink down them and think they are all that as well…………….

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Never met any of them to know what they all think of themselves individually but don’t you find it ironic that we make these statements and yet help fund, through season ticket sales and POTD, a far, far more limited bunch of Championship footballers, some earning £20k per week and many of who are probably total bell ends with a drink down them and think they are all that as well…………….

A lot of the England squad actually seem really decent young blokes. Rashford, Henderson and Sterling spring to mind immediately for what they have done in raising awareness on various issues (Rashford especially - obviously) but sure there are others as well. Always makes me laugh - the overpaid tag. Like any of us would turn it down if we ever got to that level. 

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

As a heads up, there are very few sides in international football that win a tournament by playing 'innovative, expansive, thrilling attacking' football. France won the World Cup by playing pretty poor football, particularly in the early stages. They got a late winner in their opening game against Australia courtesy of an own goal, beat Peru 1-0 and then drew 0-0 against Denmark. In Euro 2016, Portugal didn't win a game in normal time until they beat Wales 2-0 in the semis and drew all of their group games. Even Germany at World Cup 2014 drew with Ghana and had to beat Algeria in extra time. Unless you're a sporting dynasty like the 2008-2012 Spain team who were together for a number of years, you're going to struggle to build a system and play really exciting football. 

As @pl00peh91 mentioned, I believe that a lot of management at international football is about creating a happy group. Southgate said himself that due to the media pressure and public scrutiny, a culture developed over the last 20-30 years where players didn't enjoy playing at international tournaments. Success for a lot of players was to make it through the tournament without personally being the scapegoat for England's exit from the tournament. I've read a lot about what it is what to play under Capello for England and the strict regime he implemented in the camps at major tournaments added to the misery of playing for England. It was clear from the World Cup in 2018 that the players enjoyed being at the tournament. Southgate allowed the families of the players to join them at the training base the day after a game and he gave the players a lot more freedom. Much of Wales' success at Euro 2016 was build on similar principles. 

5 minutes ago, Coppello said:

As a heads up, there are very few sides in international football that win a tournament by playing 'innovative, expansive, thrilling attacking' football. France won the World Cup by playing pretty poor football, particularly in the early stages. They got a late winner in their opening game against Australia courtesy of an own goal, beat Peru 1-0 and then drew 0-0 against Denmark. In Euro 2016, Portugal didn't win a game in normal time until they beat Wales 2-0 in the semis and drew all of their group games. Even Germany at World Cup 2014 drew with Ghana and had to beat Algeria in extra time. Unless you're a sporting dynasty like the 2008-2012 Spain team who were together for a number of years, you're going to struggle to build a system and play really exciting football. 

As @pl00peh91 mentioned, I believe that a lot of management at international football is about creating a happy group. Southgate said himself that due to the media pressure and public scrutiny, a culture developed over the last 20-30 years where players didn't enjoy playing at international tournaments. Success for a lot of players was to make it through the tournament without personally being the scapegoat for England's exit from the tournament. I've read a lot about what it is what to play under Capello for England and the strict regime he implemented in the camps at major tournaments added to the misery of playing for England. It was clear from the World Cup in 2018 that the players enjoyed being at the tournament. Southgate allowed the families of the players to join them at the training base the day after a game and he gave the players a lot more freedom. Much of Wales' success at Euro 2016 was build on similar principles. 

Agreed. Quite often tournament football is about hitting form and peaking at exactly the right time. No good hammering Trinidad and Togabo 8-0 or something and then losing against a better side as you've peaked too early. 

A large part of any key to victory in this tournament will be navigating the group games, making sure any small injuries to key players are managed effectively and ensuring we peak at the right time. 

taken the knee has got boring now and if anything i feel it is just making things worse.many people just jump on the blm bandwagon to try and make there selves look and sound good. If people don't agree with it then they should not be slated for it , we all have different opinions but it dont make people racist

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Have the managers of any other participating countries stated whether their teams will be taking the knee in the Euros?

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Not sure but I doubt it’s been in the news anywhere else. Southgate was probably also asked about it rather than making a statement out of the blue. 

No idea why you thought it necessary to tell me you don't know the answer to my question - it was clearly asked in the hope of getting a straight answer from someone who does!

3 hours ago, pl00peh91 said:

Talking of 'off the back' I and others feel there is a monkey on his back that needs to be shaken in order to move past the semis of any competition. We are spoilt in reality even getting that far in recent decades so I suppose we should be grateful!

However, he has so much talent at his disposal that the expectancy now has to be to get to a final and have the guile, fortitude and tactical nous to win the damn thing. It's long past time. Anything else and he will forever be labelled the nearly man. But can the man that is Southgate achieve that? The next 3 or 4 weeks will define his international career. Win and leave at the top. Fall short again and, I think, he may still leave. 

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No idea why you thought it necessary to tell me you don't know the answer to my question - it was clearly asked in the hope of getting a straight answer from someone who does!

Southgate was asked. Hope that clears that bit up. 

Also, you might find you have better luck searching for the answer to your original question on google. I’m sure it won’t take too long for you to find out. 

Archived