IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Redandproud

23 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Southgate was asked. Hope that clears that bit up. 

That's irrelevant to do my question so clears nothing up at all.

I was actually hoping there may be someone on OTIB who does know the answer to my fairly straightforward question and could enlighten me.

And you too perhaps, because although you seem very interested in replying, you don't seem to know the answer either.

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's irrelevant to do my question so clears nothing up at all.

I was actually hoping there may be someone on OTIB who does know the answer to my fairly straightforward question and could enlighten me.

And you too perhaps, because although you seem very interested in replying, you don't seem to know the answer either.

2 hours later & the fairly straightforward question still hasn't been answered. 

Google.co.uk - Hope you get the answer you require, my friend. 

1 hour ago, big dosser said:

taken the knee has got boring now and if anything i feel it is just making things worse.many people just jump on the blm bandwagon to try and make there selves look and sound good. If people don't agree with it then they should not be slated for it , we all have different opinions but it dont make people racist

I don't think anyone should be slated for not agreeing with it (although I think people should be slated for disagreeing with the principle behind it). 

But by the same token, I don't think players should be slated for taking the view they do, and carrying on making a point they clearly feel strongly about. 

It works both ways. Even if you find it boring, it's hardly even an inconvenience. You can take a sup from your can, or at a game pass a comment to your neighbour, and its gone! (And, as far as I've seen on Robins TV this season, it's arguably no more boring than most of the 90 minutes that follows!!). 

2 minutes ago, !james said:

Lineker has started a gammon pile on ?

‘But but but but it’s Marxist,  it’s anti-White people, politics shouldn't be in sport, white lives matter as well you know’ etc etc etc.  

39 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

2 hours later & the fairly straightforward question still hasn't been answered. 

Google.co.uk - Hope you get the answer you require, my friend. 

Strangely enough I didn't assume anyone who might know the answer, and be willing to share it, would necessarily be on OTIB over a specific 2 hour period on a Sunday afternoon.

Plenty of time - if anyone does indeed know the answer, that is.

3 hours ago, big dosser said:

taken the knee has got boring now and if anything i feel it is just making things worse.many people just jump on the blm bandwagon to try and make there selves look and sound good. If people don't agree with it then they should not be slated for it , we all have different opinions but it dont make people racist

Maybe when people get bored with racially abusing players the players will no longer feel the need to take the knee. 

I don’t have a particular problem with people not agreeing with the actions of the players. But you can disagree without needing to boo. Having said that when you see some of the abuse players have received I find it difficult to understand how anybody would want to boo. They give the impression that they want the right to racially abuse players and that will be unacceptable to most. 

7 hours ago, Red Skin said:

Complete supposition.   Southgate had a meeting with small group of players, then the whole squad to discuss the booing.  He seems the opposite of a dictator if anything.   He is merely backing his players' collective decision and taking the heat off them by addressing it himself.  Thought he showed once again he has principles and is a leader.  Good on him   

He’s probably a better coach than a manager.

Handles most of the role in an exemplary fashion. Just a shame he can’t get the most important bit right.

11 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ashley Cole has just nailed it, people don't want to understand.

Yep, at this stage it can only be a deliberate misunderstanding. It's explained over and over and over again and people still refuse to get it.

It's very sad that grown men can get so upset over an anti-racism gesture that takes less time than having a wee.

12 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Ashley Cole has just nailed it, people don't want to understand.

Yeah about right

Cant see one racist looking at players taking the knee and thinking to himself

God i have been an idiot i need to change

but i also think there are plenty of fans who are thinking Please stop preaching to me

Germany appoints the Bayern Munich manager that smashed Barcelona 8-2, won the Champions League & won the Bundesliga.

We appoint a nothing manager like Southgate because he wears a nice waistcoat & has a polished media persona, we'll get rid of him after bombing out in the Euros group stage, and then appoint Eddie Howe, or even worse, Scott Parker instead.

3 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Germany appoints the Bayern Munich manager that smashed Barcelona 8-2, won the Champions League & won the Bundesliga.

We appoint a nothing manager like Southgate because he wears a nice waistcoat & has a polished media persona, we'll get rid of him after bombing out in the Euros group stage, and then appoint Eddie Howe, or even worse, Scott Parker instead.

We’ve tried big name managers who’ve won everything before and it was a shitshow.  It didn’t work. Southgate has got us to a WC semi final. Not sure what else he could do so far. 

5 hours ago, big dosser said:

It’s mentality like that which is worrying!  Can I ask if you know why they are taking a knee? So your opinion is being what?? Because someone could read into that as being a racist! I’m not saying you are. What I’m saying is from your comments you don’t care why players are doing it and what it stands for, sounds like if you don’t like it let’s just boo and not care about our players.  The players are taking a stance and trying to change peoples mentality. I for one will continue to applaud when it’s done to show I support them and not boo them for what they stand for and trying to educate people. 

14 minutes ago, lenred said:

We’ve tried big name managers who’ve won everything before and it was a shitshow.  It didn’t work. Southgate has got us to a WC semi final. Not sure what else he could do so far. 

Capello had recently failed at Madrid & Juventus, Erikson had done well at Lazio previously, agreed, but that’s 20 years ago. Hodgson, Big Sam, Steve McLaren etc.. says it all.

Just now, Banned User said:

Capello had recently failed at Madrid & Juventus, Erikson had done well at Lazio previously, agreed, but that’s 20 years ago.

So who do you suggest? It’s a completely different game to managing club football day to day and high level managers are generally not interested. And personally I’d rather see the wages they would command going into grassroots anyway.   And again Southgate got us to a World Cup semi final. What were your expectations?   

Just now, lenred said:

So who do you suggest? It’s a completely different game to managing club football day to day and high level managers are generally not interested. And personally I’d rather see the wages they would command going into grassroots anyway.   And again Southgate got us to a World Cup semi final. What were your expectations?   

Honestly, I don’t know. I’m speaking from an amateurs view from what I’ve seen of Southgate, in club football and for England. 

He did get us to a semi final, and I congratulate him for that, he got us further than most. I still do not think he is a good enough manager for the players we have, after taking that in to consideration.

6 minutes ago, Banned User said:

Capello had recently failed at Madrid & Juventus, Erikson had done well at Lazio previously, agreed, but that’s 20 years ago. Hodgson, Big Sam, Steve McLaren etc.. says it all.

I think Big Sam would’ve probably done quite well. I’m not a fan of Southgate but he’s got us to a semi final. It would’ve been hugely unfair to sack him for doing nothing wrong. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Big Sam would’ve probably done quite well. I’m not a fan of Southgate but he’s got us to a semi final. It would’ve been hugely unfair to sack him for doing nothing wrong. 

I also agree it would have been unfair to sack him after our good World Cup run. 

I don’t think he was ever the right man for the job though, long term, and wouldn’t have appointed him in the first place.

As has been said, he has done better than most managers, so will probably be considered somewhat successful in years to come, no matter how we do at the Euros.

Would you say he’s doing a good job though? Based on what I’ve seen with my awfully amateur eyes I don’t think he is, and I think someone else could do a far better job with the players available.

Who? I don’t know, but I’m sure there are managers available that could.

6 hours ago, !james said:

Lineker has started a gammon pile on ?

Stuff like this goes to show that there is a large element to this that is about shit stirring and political point scoring. People claim taking the knee isn't related to anything like that but posts like this show that the true agenda isn't all that righteous after all, embarrassing.

9 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

Stuff like this goes to show that there is a large element to this that is about shit stirring and political point scoring. People claim taking the knee isn't related to anything like that but posts like this show that the true agenda isn't all that righteous after all, embarrassing.

How does it show what you are saying it shows? Please explain what the political point scoring and True agenda are that you see? 

9 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

I reckon fans are booing the knee because A) it’s lost it’s impact B) it’s become boring to see. 
It’s become nothing more than a gesture now.

The Black Lives Matter campaign needs a new method of raising its profile if they want to continue.

After the performances from England I have seen in the last year from the current bunch of England players I think we will underwhelm. He is way too cautious. 

His patronising attitude towards fans who boo has left me feeling apathetic towards him and the players.

Back to the England football team.

I can’t remember the last time I really enjoyed watching and England game. It was probably beating the Germans 1-5 years ago.

Last night was incredibly dull and dreary to watch. Hardly any flair, only Grealish looked interested in actually trying to liven the game up and provide some entertainment. 

No idea what jobs Southgate gives them but Grealish apart they looked scared to take a risk. I was tempted to switch channels but being an Englishman and patriot I felt  I had to see it thru. 

Archived