IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Redandproud

13 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think Big Sam would’ve probably done quite well. I’m not a fan of Southgate but he’s got us to a semi final. It would’ve been hugely unfair to sack him for doing nothing wrong. 

Big Sam was never an FA guy. He is what some on here would regard a Dinosaur or 'Gammon' Midlander. What they did to him was a stitch up, a total disgrace and funny how nothing has been mentioned of it ever since about him. 

Gareth was always there man. An FA yes man who is excellent in PR and Media

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

His patronising attitude towards fans who boo has left me feeling apathetic towards him and the players.

He's not been patronising anybody.

But it is very hard to not patronise people who are so stupid that, after repeated explanations, are still trotting out their nonsense about it being political and/or Marxism. 

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

He's not been patronising anybody.

But it is very hard to not patronise people who are so stupid that, after repeated explanations, are still trotting out their nonsense about it being political and/or Marxism. 

And talking of patronising. 

Stupid because you don't agree with their opinion are they?

3 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

They are stupid because they believe something that isn't true. That's been explained to them over and over again.

Nope. The goalposts keep moving. Last year it was about Floyd originally, now it's about equality.

It's boring now, fans are fed up with it, it would never have gone on for this long if fans were in stadiums, if they move away from the 'BLM' side of it, it will less likely be booed but they won't. What fans see when they take the knee is the rioting across Bristol and London last Summer and they don't like it. 

I won't respond to any more from you anyway you'd argue with your own reflection in a shop window

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Nope. The goalposts keep moving. Last year it was about Floyd originally, now it's about equality.

It's boring now, fans are fed up with it, it would never have gone on for this long if fans were in stadiums, if they move away from the 'BLM' side of it, it will less likely be booed but they won't. What fans see when they take the knee is the rioting across Bristol and London last Summer and they don't like it. 

I won't respond to any more from you anyway you'd argue with your own reflection in a shop window

You say "nope". The players and manager say different. 

It'd help your sides case if you could come up with a coherent reason why it's so unacceptable. The top three excuses seem to be

1. It's boring - if you are that bored by a few seconds of players kneeling down then you have a rather pathetic attention span 

2. It's Marxist - clearly false, you have to be really stupid to actually believe this

3. BLM smashed up our cities - partially true but has absolutely nothing to do with what the players are doing. As they have explained over and over again. 

14 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Maybe a lot of the booing is because fans are sick of being lectured by a bunch of spoilt young Footballers earning 350k a week? 

We’ve done that one. Anything else to add or just the same old nonsense? 

5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Ben White announced as the replacement for Trent A-A.

Good call. Covers a lot of bases. 

13 hours ago, Banned User said:

Capello had recently failed at Madrid & Juventus, Erikson had done well at Lazio previously, agreed, but that’s 20 years ago. Hodgson, Big Sam, Steve McLaren etc.. says it all.

In fairness big Sam probably would have been a good england manager. On the pitch at least. I don't think he was a bad appointment.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Back to the England football team.

I can’t remember the last time I really enjoyed watching and England game. It was probably beating the Germans 1-5 years ago.

Last night was incredibly dull and dreary to watch. Hardly any flair, only Grealish looked interested in actually trying to liven the game up and provide some entertainment. 

No idea what jobs Southgate gives them but Grealish apart they looked scared to take a risk. I was tempted to switch channels but being an Englishman and patriot I felt  I had to see it thru. 

You didn’t enjoy watching us score 6 in one game in the last WC? Or win a penalty shootout? Or totally dominate a side in a quarter finals? Bit strange 

2 minutes ago, lenred said:

We’ve done that one. Anything else to add or just the same old nonsense? 

Good call. Covers a lot of bases. 

Can't agree on Ben White. JWP would have been an excellent plan B with DCL and Kane on pitch and grealish getting fouled all over the shop. My big worry is we are really going to struggle to break teams down and we will need that plan B. 

Nothing against Ben White - I think he's a better CB than a number of options who are in squad. But JWP should be in there.

1 minute ago, the1stknowle said:

Can't agree on Ben White. JWP would have been an excellent plan B with DCL and Kane on pitch and grealish getting fouled all over the shop. My big worry is we are really going to struggle to break teams down and we will need that plan B. 

Nothing against Ben White - I think he's a better CB than a number of options who are in squad. But JWP should be in there.

Yep I don’t disagree that JWP would’ve been a good call too. But we are so light in defence it’s untrue especially in the centre and I guess the thinking is that White covers all areas at the back and can also play holding midfield. 

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

Yep I don’t disagree that JWP would’ve been a good call too. But we are so light in defence it’s untrue especially in the centre and I guess the thinking is that White covers all areas at the back and can also play holding midfield. 

They must be a bit more worried about Maguire than they are letting on. I still think we have enough cover for the positions White can play and, if we are serious about winning, the place would have been better given over to a game changer off the bench like JWP. 

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I reckon fans are booing the knee because A) it’s lost it’s impact B) it’s become boring to see. 
It’s become nothing more than a gesture now.

The Black Lives Matter campaign needs a new method of raising its profile if they want to continue.

We have/had similar employment. Doing the same thing and expecting different results is .. In regards to psychology and communication you should not. Change the approach. 

15 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

I initially thought that but how does JWP get on the pitch? Who does he take minutes from? Trippier is not quite the level of JWP on set pieces but is still very good at them. For replacing a player, think BW is a good choice. Now if we could redo the 26 they’d both be in for me as I wouldn’t be taking Maguire or Henderson. 

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I initially thought that but how does JWP get on the pitch? Who does he take minutes from? Trippier is not quite the level of JWP on set pieces but is still very good at them. For replacing a player, think BW is a good choice. Now if we could redo the 26 they’d both be in for me as I wouldn’t be taking Maguire or Henderson. 

Rashford? Sterling? Bellingham? Rice? Hendo?

Depends who is on pitch but in a game where we are just not creating chances, we can accommodate a 15-20min change of shape just to get that set piece abilitiy on the pitch. And its not like he is a bad player apart from set pieces - he's a really solid player. Im a big fan. 

I understand the want to take Maguire and Henderson as they are both really good international players. TBH, I think it's probably the right call. But it is a massive gamble. Henderson especially so. 

25 minutes ago, petehinton said:

You didn’t enjoy watching us score 6 in one game in the last WC? Or win a penalty shootout? Or totally dominate a side in a quarter finals? Bit strange 

Against piss poor opposition. England we’re expecting to win that game and scored early iirc.

England should have have put 4 or 5 past that lot last night. 

On the football side our performances in the last 18 months have been pretty average. We have lost to Czech Republic, Denmark and Belgium in that time and I find we are too slow in our build up play to create chances. 

Nothing from what I have seen from England in 2021 has changed my view on that so far. Just about beat Poland, just about saw off Austria, just about beat Romania by a penalty. 

Hopefully England step up a gear in the Tournament, but so will the other sides

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Against piss poor opposition. England we’re expecting to win that game and scored early iirc.

England should have have put 4 or 5 past that lot last night. 

So you haven't enjoyed England winning against top opposition where we don't score early, for years? I mean I'm not surprised, that's quite a niche scenario. 

6 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Rashford? Sterling? Bellingham? Rice? Hendo?

Depends who is on pitch but in a game where we are just not creating chances, we can accommodate a 15-20min change of shape just to get that set piece abilitiy on the pitch. And its not like he is a bad player apart from set pieces - he's a really solid player. Im a big fan. 

I understand the want to take Maguire and Henderson as they are both really good international players. TBH, I think it's probably the right call. But it is a massive gamble. Henderson especially so. 

I really rate JWP just think now it has been announced I can’t see where he gets on the pitch. Or I can’t see how Southgate gets him on the pitch. He seems to have his favourites. Can’t see him taking off a Henderson for JWP. Idk maybe I have that wrong. 

I’d have taken JWP in the original 26. I’d probably have started him in some games against those sides with the deeper defences. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The squad has 8 forwards which is at least one too many.

I've no problem with Maguire and Henderson going as they are numbers 25 & 26. He should still have been able to pick a balanced squad but has erred by getting midfield wrong JWP > Phillips and by having a lot of wide forwards. 

He's also got himself in the position of heavily favouring players who will let him down when it counts (Walker Stones Sterling). The last year of squad picks have left him with Coady and Mings as back ups. I worry he's backed the wrong ones there. 

3 minutes ago, Selred said:

So you haven't enjoyed England winning against top opposition where we don't score early, for years? I mean I'm not surprised, that's quite a niche scenario. 

Do you enjoy watching England? 

Personally I never know what to expect. England should have stuffed Romania yesterday but struggled to a 1-0 win.

I almost nodded off watching it.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Personally I never know what to expect. England should have stuffed Romania yesterday but struggled to a 1-0 win.

I enjoyed watching England in the previous World Cup yes.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I did nod off.

When I woke up I saw a team in blue playing very boring football..

Assumed it was Scotland so happily drifted back into the Land of Nod. 

1 hour ago, the1stknowle said:

I was torn between White and JWP. I think in the ideal world, you would go to JWP, but White offers more versatility (can also play DM) and hopefully means Mings will get fewer minutes. We have very slightly more strength in depth in midfield than at CB, so I think White was the right decision. 

1 hour ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

How does it show what you are saying it shows? Please explain what the political point scoring and True agenda are that you see? 

Gammon is a term describing people of a certain type of political view is it not? Laughing at someone going after a reaction over the internet from them isn’t about helping the supposed cause (ironically a person of privilege going after less privileged people, but in this case I guess it’s funny). Clearly some are getting pleasure out of the division that this situation is creating.

I imagine most minorities (and England players) find people hijacking their movement for these purposes incredibly cringey. It’s a similar political battle that we saw play out after the NFL players took the knee and it became a significant part of the debate over in the US too. I think many people like this want to extend the footballers ‘protest’ to this point because they are invested in trying to make their political opponents look bad rather than to help the genuine stated cause, the agenda on places like Twitter isn’t anywhere near the same as what the England squads is.

Archived