IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Redandproud

On 07/06/2021 at 11:11, Moments of Pleasure said:

I mean, where can you go nowadays to be a bit racist, sexist, prejudiced like you could in the 70s and 80s, without some bastard wagging their finger at you?

Cuh! 

Sorry, can’t be arsed to read the entire thread.

The answer here is as a member of The Government, isn’t it?

I like Southgate and his stance on issues like racism has been excellent. Clearly he gets on well with the players. However, I just can't escape the feeling he is tactically second rate and will blow what is a decent chance to do well given the resources we have available with too defensive selections. 

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

I like Southgate and his stance on issues like racism has been excellent. Clearly he gets on well with the players. However, I just can't escape the feeling he is tactically second rate and will blow what is a decent chance to do well given the resources we have available with too defensive selections. 

Yeah I agree with that.

It's weird as he has taken us to a World Cup semi-final, only one manager has ever gone further! But I still have doubts over his ability to push us forward.

But a lot of that is just my pessimism around football. Supporting Bristol City and England hasn't exactly made me optimistic about football. ?

5 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Yeah I agree with that.

It's weird as he has taken us to a World Cup semi-final, only one manager has ever gone further! But I still have doubts over his ability to push us forward.

But a lot of that is just my pessimism around football. Supporting Bristol City and England hasn't exactly made me optimistic about football. ?

I think we had a very fortunate run of games in the last world cup. Couldn't have asked for a better draw really. First time we came against a half decent side we blew it. 

Of course, you can only beat who's in front of you. This Euros will be the acid test, even the group is a bit tricky. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think we had a very fortunate run of games in the last world cup. Couldn't have asked for a better draw really. First time we came against a half decent side we blew it. 

Of course, you can only beat who's in front of you. This Euros will be the acid test, even the group is a bit tricky. 

It's almost the complete flip of the World cup with how that opened up for us.

No matter how you look at this tournament there are big opponents all over the place - our one saving grace is that all but one of the games could be played infront of a solely home support

1 minute ago, phantom said:

It's almost the complete flip of the World cup with how that opened up for us.

No matter how you look at this tournament there are big opponents all over the place - our one saving grace is that all but one of the games could be played infront of a solely home support

I think our side is stronger also. We have two enigmas in Foden and Grealish who both have the potential to have fantastic tournaments.

Central defence looks weak, but Stones has had a very good season and so has Maguire (his stats are actually really good) so we need him fit.

In Kane we genuinely have one of the top 5 forwards in world football. If he's given service he's guaranteed to score and is a decent shout for golden boot provided we go a reasonable distance.

My worry is Southgate not playing to our strengths (which is our attacking players) and being over cautious. The way he's selected the squad gives me a bad feeling he's going to go with a back 5. 

21 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

He's a yes man...no more than that.

10 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

He hasnt got a don howe or bryan robson to bounce his ideals off.

This worrys me.

This could be why the tactics are 3rd rate.

Steve Holland. 

How are tactics 3rd rate?  How are you judging the tactics?  We're ranked 4 in the world and have reached semi finals of the world cup and nations league.  That's decent for England. 

I will never forgive him for his tactics when we went 1 0 up against crotia.

We wont get another chance in my lifetime, like that.

Steve holland yes, id never heard of him up till ten years ago.

You could say he was lucky to get the chelsea reserves job.

I mean he took crewe to 13th in divsion 1.

Are you telling me he got that gig, on ability or results?

Jobs for the boys, seems like to me.

Good managers surround themselves with knowledge.

1 hour ago, Oh Louie louie said:

He hasnt got a don howe or bryan robson to bounce his ideals off.

This worrys me.

This could be why the tactics are 3rd rate.

Ok, Don Howe but Bryan Robson!?  Robson was a terrible manager - obviously a very good player with a big reputation but no manager IMO.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I will never forgive him for his tactics when we went 1 0 up against crotia.

We wont get another chance in my lifetime, like that.

Steve holland yes, id never heard of him up till ten years ago.

You could say he was lucky to get the chelsea reserves job.

I mean he took crewe to 13th in divsion 1.

Are you telling me he got that gig, on ability or results?

Jobs for the boys, seems like to me.

Good managers surround themselves with knowledge.

And listening to him talk about it, I don't think he forgives himself - or at least he acknowledges he made mistakes in that game.

People look past the fact that despite who we beat it's the furthest we've got in a generation. Look at the much acclaimed Euro 96, did we beat anyone decent? Spain weren't the team they later became, Netherlands arguably decent on paper but they had a poor tournament, only beating Switzerland. Don't forget it could have been very different if Scotland score their penalty.

Italia 90 the same, scraped through a crap group, won 1 game in 90 minutes the whole tournament and as soon as we played a good team we lost. Yet generally we celebrate those performances?

I'll accept I was too young for Italia 90, and I just about remember Euro 96 but have watched it back since.

You are right are seems, you were to young to remember italy 90 marcus.

If you think belgium werent good, i suggest you rewatch that game.

As for cameroon, not being a good side, i susspose beating the world champions and getting to the qf was a fluke?

And as for not beating anybody decent, at euro 96, would you like to post the holland team?

Even the scottish team?

17 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

You are right are seems, you were to young to remember italy 90 marcus.

If you think belgium werent good, i suggest you rewatch that game.

As for cameroon, not being a good side, i susspose beating the world champions and getting to the qf was a fluke?

And as for not beating anybody decent, at euro 96, would you like to post the holland team?

Even the scottish team?

Well then, Sweden qualified through a group with France and Netherlands. They actually beat France who went on the win the tournament and they beat Italy in a playoff to qualify (an Italy side we only drew with). They progressed top of a group containing Germany.

Colombia, beat France in a friendly before the tournament.

As for 96 NL I said on paper good side, in that tournament though? Awful really.

40 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Marcus, im not intrested in what sweden did.

I like you to rectify, your comments about belgium not being any good.

It took a moment of genius to beat them, are you sure you are watching the right games?

Ever heard of a player called enzo scifo?

I know he was a great player of the team, but admittedly know little about him. It was a wonder strike from Platt I agree. Were Belgium one of the top teams though? I can only go by records and rankings at the time and they weren't a top 10 team in the world were they? Maybe in line with Portugal around 04/06, one outstanding player and not a bad side but not Germany / Italy / Brazil levels at the time.

I'm mentioning Sweden because I'm drawing parallels with what you have just said about teams that Cameroon had beaten and the level the teams were at the time.

Simply my point is, we romanticise Italia 90 and Euro 96 and compare that as the benchmark for any performance since. Italia 90 we stumbled through the group and won 1 game in 90 minutes yet we criticise Southgate for achieving similar. It makes little sense, a semi final is a semi final and 2018's placing is up there as our joint second best ever at a World Cup and for many of us, the best we've seen.

Archived