IGNORED

Gareth Southgate

Redandproud

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

Seemed like whining to me and blaming a group based on age and skin colour, hmmm maybe practice what you preach Mr BS2 Red ?

Maybe learn to read Mr 2015, the only time I mentioned age/skin colour was in response to somebody who mentioned it.

I've not been whining, I've been explaining. Whining would be phoning OFCOM when my feelings get hurt because of a dance.

On 06/06/2021 at 12:15, Numero Uno said:

FA Suit with little merit????. You speak like he’s Charles ******* Hughes or something. The bloke only played International level himself so what does he know? What did you manage in comparison to be able to legitimately look down on him from so far up that high horse of yours?

As Lee Johnson have proven, those who have played at the ‘elite’ level don’t necessarily make good football managers. History is littered with ex England internationals who’ve tried their hand and failed at management. 

I was a translator, which as Jose has proven, qualifies me for ‘special one’ status. 

12 minutes ago, RedRock said:

As Lee Johnson have proven, those who have played at the ‘elite’ level don’t necessarily make good football managers. History is littered with ex England internationals who’ve tried their hand and failed at management. 

Eh? What has Lee Johnson ‘proven’ ?! Can you list his achievements in his eight years as a club manager? I’ll start you off ... promotions - zero ... or surely you weren’t trying to assert that LJ had played “at the elite level” ?!

On 06/06/2021 at 15:22, Carey 6 said:

2 hours later & the fairly straightforward question still hasn't been answered. 

Google.co.uk - Hope you get the answer you require, my friend. 

It could be the information simply wasn't out there. Or it could be that nobody else was interested enough to reply.

For your information then, because by your replies to me you clearly are interested, it is being reported tonight that as many as 18 of the 24 teams competing in the Euros will not be taking the knee.

Nothing confirmed (apart from England) afaik., so we shall see.

27 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? What has Lee Johnson ‘proven’ ?! Can you list his achievements in his eight years as a club manager? I’ll start you off ... promotions - zero ... or surely you weren’t trying to assert that LJ had played “at the elite level” 

Anybody who turns out for City plays at the elite level, by virtue of them representing us. It doesn’t necessarily mean they are elite players. In Johnson’s case it most certainly doesn’t. 

I was merely pointing out that ex players don’t automatically make good managers. In Jose’s case he had little football playing experience, yet has been one of the most successful managers of all times (until recently!).

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Eh? What has Lee Johnson ‘proven’ ?! Can you list his achievements in his eight years as a club manager? I’ll start you off ... promotions - zero ... or surely you weren’t trying to assert that LJ had played “at the elite level” ?!

I thought elite meant anything professional football? I remember the return of football during covid lockdown and the term elite sports was used when addressing inside the English football leagues 

7 hours ago, Sturny said:

I thought elite meant anything professional football? I remember the return of football during covid lockdown and the term elite sports was used when addressing inside the English football leagues 

Yep to play football professionally puts you in the top 0.1% so compared to the general populace definitely elite.

I think some would argue that ‘elite’ is only the best players within all pro players - but that’s a separate point altogether and then people are just arguing semantics.

15 hours ago, Baba Yaga said:

From what I remember the Sweden QF game was a complete borefest. Maybe it was just the 30 degree heat meaning I couldn't enjoy it but I thought that watching how the Swedes played against us after they gave the Germans a really good game it was like night and day. Didn't have to play well to win that at all, thought England played much better in the SF against Croatia in the first half but then they got tired or Croatia turned it up a level. Colombia game was very exciting but I wouldn't call them top opposition, in fact the last time we beat a top level side in an international tournament was Argentina in 2002?

I don't see how you can't enjoy watching your country cruise through a World Cup quarter final regardless of the quality of the game? Surely that's more enjoyable than a nail biter like Colombia even if ultimately doing it on penalties like that makes it more exciting?

If City had won a "borefest" FA Cup quarter final 2-0 we'd never shut up about it.

People are just hyper critical of England for some absolutely known reason. 

We've beaten Spain, Belgium and Croatia in the Nations League. How many times have we played a top level side in tournaments since 02? Brazil obviously same WC and gave them a good game. Germany and Italy a couple of times in that period when we were woeful and France once? That's about it.

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

I don’t know how many were booing. 

How is that even relevant to the question I asked?

People on here are able to tell us exactly why fans were booing. They can't possibly speak for every fan whether it was 5, 50 or 500

4 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I don't see how you can't enjoy watching your country cruise through a World Cup quarter final regardless of the quality of the game? Surely that's more enjoyable than a nail biter like Colombia even if ultimately doing it on penalties like that makes it more exciting?

If City had won a "borefest" FA Cup quarter final 2-0 we'd never shut up about it.

People are just hyper critical of England for some absolutely known reason. 

We've beaten Spain, Belgium and Croatia in the Nations League. How many times have we played a top level side in tournaments since 02? Brazil obviously same WC and gave them a good game. Germany and Italy a couple of times in that period when we were woeful and France once? That's about it.

For me the Colombia game has lived much longer in the memory than Sweden. The excitement of winning a penalty shootout after our history definitely helped make it more enjoyable (undertand we had some poor moments in that game not like the Sweden game so get your argument but I don't agree), even Pickford's save was for me much more memorable than anything that happened in the Sweden game. I'm not criticising England for winning a QF for the first time that I can remember but I would be lying if I said that I didn't think the actual 90 minutes were a bit of a stinker and given the occasion it was very anti-climatic. I don't think that's being particularly unfair or hyper critical, Sweden were terrible and we comfortably got the job done but it was also a difficult watch at times. 

34 minutes ago, Baba Yaga said:

For me the Colombia game has lived much longer in the memory than Sweden. The excitement of winning a penalty shootout after our history definitely helped make it more enjoyable (undertand we had some poor moments in that game not like the Sweden game so get your argument but I don't agree), even Pickford's save was for me much more memorable than anything that happened in the Sweden game. I'm not criticising England for winning a QF for the first time that I can remember but I would be lying if I said that I didn't think the actual 90 minutes were a bit of a stinker and given the occasion it was very anti-climatic. I don't think that's being particularly unfair or hyper critical, Sweden were terrible and we comfortably got the job done but it was also a difficult watch at times. 

Funny you say that as yesterday i watched the England Vs Sweden highlights because I barely remember that game! Colombia match was waaaaay better 

1 hour ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I totally agree with the far-right, anti-progressive, somewhat fascist knee-booers - we don't want politics in football. 

Genuine question, how do you feel about players wearing the Poppy in November and having a minutes silence before the game? By the same token, that should go too if we don’t want politics in football. Similarly, Rashford shouldn’t use his profile to campaign to feed millions of hungry British children?

12 hours ago, RedRock said:

I was a translator, which as Jose has proven, qualifies me for ‘special one’ status. 

12 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not that we’re obsessed or anything……where but OTIB could a discussion about the England team a few days prior to the Euros turn into an argument about a manager who left our club over a year ago!

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

Genuine question, how do you feel about players wearing the Poppy in November and having a minutes silence before the game? By the same token, that should go too if we don’t want politics in football. Similarly, Rashford shouldn’t use his profile to campaign to feed millions of hungry British children?

Wearing a poppy is political?

Left wing, right wing?

Please enlighten me.

3 hours ago, Coppello said:

I'm fairly relaxed about it. What Marcus Rashford does in his spare time is his business - sounds like he uses his time when he's not at work more productively than, say, Ryan Giggs.

I think lads that lean to the right who have long brought that leaning in to football and grounds on match days - you know, all the minority targeting and abusing and so on - and who are now upset about the game itself bringing left-leaning ideas (as they, I think, see things like equality for non-white people) in to football, might instead of getting upset think about whether there would be any of this lefty kneeling and highlighting of prejudice that we see today without the right-leaning abuse of people with different colour skin.

But that would involve some self-awareness, self-reflection, intellectual curiosity, individual responsibility and so on, not the sort of thing right-leaning football lads devote a lot of time to, in my humble opinion and experience. 

In short, if you don't like all this kneeling, try giving the prejudice and abuse a rest.

5 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I have read the article and recall the argument at the time.

I share the view of the RBL that the poppy is not political. 

So the people who are selling the poppy say it's not political (I agree). So if the people kneeing say its not political everything will be hunky dory. Oh wait ...

5 minutes ago, Big C said:

So the people who are selling the poppy say it's not political (I agree). So if the people kneeing say its not political everything will be hunky dory. Oh wait ...

My comment relates only to the poppy.

Frankly, I have very little interest as to whether the England team, or any other team for that matter, kneel or do not kneel, although I do feel that individual team members should be free to decide whether to or not, rather than be told/instructed to do so - that rather makes a mockery of the whole issue.

I do think that booing against those players who do kneel is out order, as is booing the opposing nation's National Anthem - probably the same type of 'supporter'.

On 06/06/2021 at 10:30, Fordy62 said:

Interesting thoughts and could be some truth to it… but I suppose the squad reminds me a little of our own under LJ and DH, lots of individual talent, but can’t play together as a team. 

Let’s hope I’m proved wrong. 

Sadly we seem to be slipping back to the "bad old days" of trying to "shoe horn" particular flair players into the side at the expense of a solid and organised formation. It was pleasing to see Southgate pick players on form and to suit his system when he first came in but alas here we are again.

Am I the only one that would like the players to take the knee during the anthem just to stir it up a bit, and maybe come out wearing Germany shirts with Marx on the back... okay, clearly I am...

I really like Southgate's communicative tact, but I'm worried that he'll bodge the line up and tactics.

Archived