IGNORED

England Vs Romania

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The amount of people crying and moaning over that saying EUROs will be a painful watch, Southgate Is a fraud bla bla bla when that game didn’t have our first choice keeper, defence, midfield or striker playing is quite something. English football fans are something else 🤣🤣

They’re also desperate not to get injured hence why the pace is slow. The results don’t matter really, obviously it’s nice to win and look good but primarily it’s about trying things out and match fitness.

• Like 4

Southgate saying we have a lot of completion in those attacking areas of the field. Yes you're right Gareth we do.

Would be nice to have competition in defensive areas of the pitch too! Worrying lack of defenders for me with Maguire being injured and one being Mings.

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

The amount of people crying and moaning over that saying EUROs will be a painful watch, Southgate Is a fraud bla bla bla when that game didn’t have our first choice keeper, defence, midfield or striker playing is quite something. English football fans are something else 🤣🤣

Yeah not sure what people actually expect to see from that type of fixture.  Nowhere near our first team 8 regular players not even named on the bench, plus some starting that won’t even go to the tournament. Not sure how anyone can judge us on that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

You’re not quite understanding the point Tony. 
Grealish draws contact and wins free kicks. That’s a huge difference from diving under no contact whatsoever. There are many worse examples of players who dive. Grealish wins more fouls but isn’t the worst diver, by a long way. 

I think for that penalty grealish did one of those moving your leg into an unnatural position so an opponent has no option but to kick it moves. I personally think thats the same as diving. If we win the euros because of it then great, but if we get knocked out by someone doing it to us, it will be a bitter pill to swallow!

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I wouldn't mind, but if England do well at the Euros then the same people will be going out of their way to invent reasons to discredit it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Remarkable thing is that there’s every chance neither will start. 🤦‍♂️ 

I think Foden probably will. He’s our most gifted breakthrough talent since Rooney and Southgate knows that. I think Bellingham has gone under the radar a bit, he’s not being talked about much considering his age.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Scotland must have watched that and thought game on. 

Why? Some of those players aren’t even going to the tournament. We had 8 regulars not even named in the squad of which probably all will start next weekend bar Maguire.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Southgate saying we have a lot of completion in those attacking areas of the field. Yes you're right Gareth we do.

Would be nice to have competition in defensive areas of the pitch too! Worrying lack of defenders for me with Maguire being injured and one being Mings.

Thought Ben White was class today. Would love to see him in ahead of Mings if Maguire was to drop out this week.....

• Like 1

Just now, WirralRobin said:

Thought Ben White was class today. Would love to see him in ahead of Mings if Maguire was to drop out this week.....

Agreed. White is quality but I can’t see Southgate ever starting him in the tournament over the likes of Mings/Coady now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Because we were shit

Rashford, Sancho, Grealish - all 80 million quid players and we were shite. Gotta be better than that

No doubt we were poor but needs to be put into context. That won’t be anywhere near our starting line up. Baring in mind Scotland just beat 10 man Luxembourg 1-0.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Because we were shit

Rashford, Sancho, Grealish - all 80 million quid players and we were shite. Gotta be better than that

I think you're being a bit harsh here. After the shower of sh*t quality of football we've watched from city this season - seeing England have 19 shots, 7 on target, hit the post twice, create two pens, press well high up the pitch all with our second eleven (and with two players (White and Phillips) who were playing against us just over 12 months ago) I actually thought was pretty decent considering it's just a warm up game with players looking to avoid injury.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, WirralRobin said:

I think you're being a bit harsh here. After the shower of sh*t quality of football we've watched from city this season - seeing England have 19 shots, 7 on target, hit the post twice, create two pens, press well high up the pitch all with our second eleven (and with two players (White and Phillips) who were playing against us just over 12 months ago) I actually thought was pretty decent considering it's just a warm up game with players looking to avoid injury.

I’m getting bored of watching over 30 years of England being shit with “all the talent” we have had over various generations

ill be supporting them as usual but we have to be better than that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

We should build the team around him and Foden imo. Two players with genuine X factor. 

I agree. Sadly I think Southgate will revert to his so-called tried and tested in Sterling & Rashford. Even though both have been poor of late. 
I’d have Grealish left and Foden right, every day of the week. Any defence would be tested regularly with those 2 committing them. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Watch more carefully. 
Grealish likes to slow the play to draw defenders and then be able to play one-two’s around them, or pop off little passes past them once they’ve committed. 

Grealish is an immaculate talent. The only things we’ve even remotely created today have been through him. 

I think he does that AND slows it down at times.

We play with little pattern.  We don’t know how to “work a goal”, against good sides.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Because we were shit

I stopped listening after you said Grealish was shite. What game were you watching! There’s no pleasing some people 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Banned User said:

Yes, it all depends on how you define a dive. I would say minimal contact is a dive, a foul is when you are actually brought down/stopped. Obviously, that isn't what modern football considers a foul/dive.

Edit: He says as Grealish wins a penalty

Edit2: To clarify, that's a penalty in my opinion. I don't really like the modern rules, but that's definitely a penalty.

Agree

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Never a pen for me, left his leg trailing and fell over. He's more interested in tasting grass.

He didn’t leave his keg there imho, he ran across the defender.  That’s smart.  Defender should ease off, he was always just wrong side….inviting a tangle of legs.  Defenders don’t learn.

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree. Sadly I think Southgate will revert to his so-called tried and tested in Sterling & Rashford. Even though both have been poor of late. 
I’d have Grealish left and Foden right, every day of the week. Any defence would be tested regularly with those 2 committing them. 

Agree Grealish, Kane, Foden is a hugely exciting front three Harry and all three should play, potentially lacking a runner in behind tho to really stretch defences? Personally I'd love to see either Foden or Grealish play as the most advanced of a three in midfield providing space in the side for either Sancho or Rashford on one of the wings to get in behind Kane as and when he drops deep linking play....

Edited by WirralRobin

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

I'd like to see that - my only issue with that is whether there'd be enough pace considering Kane is fairly slow. They're both nippy don't have the raw speed of Rashford/Sterling/Sancho. 

I think he'll start with Foden - Kane - Sterling most likely.

• Like 1

Why do so many people not understand that in tournament football, if you want to go long into the tournament (which is obviously our aim), then you are going to need to play more than one formation and select many different starting XI's?

I don't know why people get so critical, so quickly, just because the manager maybe wants to ease one of his best players into a tournament, say a Foden or Grealish?

Southgate's starting XIs for the Scotland game and, say a second round against Germany or Portugal, will be very different - and rightfully so.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Why do so many people not understand that in tournament football, if you want to go long into the tournament (which is obviously our aim), then you are going to need to play more than one formation and select many different starting XI's?

I don't know why people get so critical, so quickly, just because the manager maybe wants to ease one of his best players into a tournament, say a Foden or Grealish?

Southgate's starting XIs for the Scotland game and, say a second round against Germany or Portugal, will be very different - and rightfully so.

I think it's partly because people get a bit of a kick about being negative regarding England. It's a bit strange but happens every tournament. We have the best side we've had since 06 IMO, people should enjoy it rather than trying to find fault. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Grealish must be learning from Harry Kane if he's "cheating".

Don't hear Kane being slagged off when he gets the penalties though.

Like him or not, Grealish could become our latter day Gazza.

Gazza was a lovely passer too.  Grealish hasn’t got that bit to his game.  Nice dribbler though.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

There’s a big difference between drawing contact and diving. Grealish win fouls because he cleverly attracts the contact of dumbass defenders. It’s not cheating and it’s not diving. The contact he receives are mostly enough for a foul. If he went down with zero contact whatsoever, it’s diving. Drawing contact is clever. 

Exactly.

Exactly.

44 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The thing is: I don't have any confidence that Southgate has any idea who the strongest players performing are.

Even with an alleged second string we should have been winning that 3-0. Romania have not been much of a side since the early 2000s.

I don’t think the last two friendlies have helped preparation at all.  Unless it was purely to rest our players?

They will’ve had no competitive football as anything resembling a unit.

And in a pool of players as big as England have why are we picking Henderson and Maguire. I’m a big fan of Henderson, but there are other players to pick, and it might’ve allowed JWP to get a place.  His set plays in a tight game are a v.useful weapon.

Rashford, blimey….he’s really struggling.  Bring him on for pens!!

From the little I’ve watched of England / the players I would be playing 3 of Grealish, Mount, Sterling and Foden behind Kane….in a 4231.  Probably Rice and one other in the 2.  I’d happily play all 4 in a 4141-type system.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rashford and Sterling have been frustrating to watch for some time now. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I’m getting bored of watching over 30 years of England being shit with “all the talent” we have had over various generations

ill be supporting them as usual but we have to be better than that.

We did make the semi finals last time out, granted we mainly won goals by getting a lucky penalty or by playing crap teams 

• Like 1