IGNORED

Kithousery - Ukraine

Lrrr

image.thumb.png.4818df3339d849d62b1781e590c9c699.png

The head of the Ukrainian football association has caused outrage in Russia by unveiling a new national team shirt emblazoned with a map of Ukraine that includes Crimea.

Russia annexed Crimea from Ukraine in 2014 and Moscow considers the peninsula part of Russia, but it is internationally recognised as part of Ukraine.

Ukraine’s new kit was revealed on Sunday, days before the European Championship kicks off, on the Facebook page of the head of the Football Association of Ukraine, Andriy Pavelko.

The front of the yellow shirt shows the borders of Ukraine in white. A slogan at the top of the back reads “Glory to Ukraine!”. Inside the shirt is a slogan that declares “Glory to the heroes!”

Both phrases are used in Ukraine as an official military greeting.

The Russian parliamentary deputy Dmitry Svishchev was quoted by the Russian news agency RIA as saying the shirt design was “a political provocation”. He said showing a map of Ukraine “which includes a Russian territory is illegal”.

The Russian foreign ministry spokesperson, Maria Zakharova, said on social media that the slogans on the shirts were nationalistic and that the slogan “Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!” echoed a German Nazi rallying cry.

Relations between Moscow and Kyiv deteriorated sharply after the annexation of Crimea and the start of a Russian-backed separatist rebellion in eastern Ukraine in 2014.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

They could potentially meet in the quarter finals, could be fiery. Am I right in saying they are generally kept away from each other in friendlies and qualifying and in domestic competitions where possible?

Correct, they could not have been drawn in the same Euro group.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

They could potentially meet in the quarter finals, could be fiery. Am I right in saying they are generally kept away from each other in friendlies and qualifying and in domestic competitions where possible?

That would be great to watch - better than watching Njetflix..

Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

5 hours ago, MarcusX said:

4 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

They got drawn together in Euro 2000 qualifying, read an article about it a while ago- Ukraine pipped Russia to playoff place but had either won they would have won the Group (ahead of World Champions France no less)!

Rather fittingly, their games were the opening and finishing rounds of the Group- I bet the atmosphere was feisty but Sepp ran FIFA then so probably had little concern about small matters like National post Soviet rivalry- Croatia and Yugoslavia (now Serbia, also included Montenegro back then) were also drawn together- I know in the last that away fans were not permitted being so close to the Balkans Wars but again Sepp!! Think Greece v Turkey there's another- they strongly dislike each other and maybe more, but didn't stop them being drawn against each other in successive qualifying groups. ?‍♂️

Another idea in that vein only taking it to new levels, was him in 2015 proposing an Israel v Palestine peace match.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They got drawn together in Euro 2000 qualifying, read an article about it a while ago- Ukraine pipped Russia to playoff place but had either won they would have won the Group (ahead of World Champions France no less)!

Rather fittingly, their games were the opening and finishing rounds of the Group- I bet the atmosphere was feisty but Sepp ran FIFA then so probably had little concern about small matters like National post Soviet rivalry- Croatia and Yugoslavia (now Serbia, also included Montenegro back then) were also drawn together- I know in the last that away fans were not permitted being so close to the Balkans Wars but again Sepp!! Think Greece v Turkey there's another- they strongly dislike each other and maybe more, but didn't stop them being drawn against each other in successive qualifying groups. ?‍♂️

According to UEFA, six "prohibited team clashes" are currently on their list and should be prevented in European competitions: Ukraine against Russia (since 2014), Kosovo against Serbia (2016), Bosnia-Herzegovina (2016) and Russia (2019), Armenia against Azerbaijan (2010) and Spain against Gibraltar (2013). These are determined by the UEFA Executive Board - or, if things need to move quickly, by the Emergency Panel, a five-member committee headed by the UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin.

Kosovo proving the real problem child in the above list.

Greece v Turkey is seemingly allowed.

23 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

According to UEFA, six "prohibited team clashes" are currently on their list and should be prevented in European competitions: Ukraine against Russia (since 2014), Kosovo against Serbia (2016), Bosnia-Herzegovina (2016) and Russia (2019), Armenia against Azerbaijan (2010) and Spain against Gibraltar (2013). These are determined by the UEFA Executive Board - or, if things need to move quickly, by the Emergency Panel, a five-member committee headed by the UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin.

Kosovo proving the real problem child in the above list.

Greece v Turkey is seemingly allowed.

Yep, thought Kosovo would have a few issues let's say- Spain v Gibraltar no surprise though.

Ukraine v Russia makes sense, Bosnia v Serbia being allowed is a bit of a surprise though! Like I say though, under Sepp even Armenia v Azerbaijan got drawn vs each other, but neither match actually took place due to a lack of diplomatic relations.

Was surprised to see Turkey v Armenia in 2010 qualifiers too, given the whole Armenian Genocide claims- also surprised to see that not on the list.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

According to UEFA, six "prohibited team clashes" are currently on their list and should be prevented in European competitions: Ukraine against Russia (since 2014), Kosovo against Serbia (2016), Bosnia-Herzegovina (2016) and Russia (2019), Armenia against Azerbaijan (2010) and Spain against Gibraltar (2013).

England against Scotland (2025) ?

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Another idea in that vein only taking it to new levels, was him in 2015 proposing an Israel v Palestine peace match.

Could have been worse by the looks of this vid, games involving Greece and Turkey, Romania and Hungary, Serbia and Croatia/Albania spring to mind.

Mind you it would probably be much more hostile these days and I wonder if it could give some of those a run for their money.

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I believe they've been seperated officially since 2014

On 07/06/2021 at 08:54, ExiledAjax said:

Shame innit.

Course Russia could have done this a whole lot better in the first place. Invite an internationally recognised tribunal in, with no intimidation, UN soldiers present... Allow a plebiscite and voila.... They vote to rejoin Russia... That is my understanding of the balance of opinion in Crimea at that time. 

As usual they miscalculated and did the force thing which is all well and good for them as they are not democratic. That said where is democracy these days? 

Putin is hugely misunderstand though. He behaves like a bit of a spoilt kid, because he can and because he has been shat on by the west. He just enjoys doubling down knowing the impotent dithering EU will do nothing.

I still applaud Ukraine 100% and support their rights because they were forcibly pushed out of their own country.

On 07/06/2021 at 12:49, Curr Avon said:

I bet the Russian President's Pistov! (No, it's Putin)

Cultural thought for the day........

Did you know that if you are in France and say 'Putin', the French will think you are swearing?

Putin (actually spelt Putain), literally translated means 'whore', which in English isn't used as an expletive, but in French it is the strongest of curses - on a par with **** in shock value. It's usually uttered in exasperation, either on its own, or as a small phrase 'putain de merde' - which literally translated means 'whore of s**t' - not shocking when said in English (well, you wouldn't say it - its just weird and meaningless), but in French it's about the strongest curse you could utter and would certainly raise eyebrows if uttered in the Louvre or the corridors of Versailles !!!!

I wonder if Putin himself has ever wondered why French politicians stifle a giggle when his name is announced at formal occasions?!!!

57 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Cultural thought for the day........

Did you know that if you are in France and say 'Putin', the French will think you are swearing?

Putin (actually spelt Putain), literally translated means 'whore', which in English isn't used as an expletive, but in French it is the strongest of curses - on a par with **** in shock value. It's usually uttered in exasperation, either on its own, or as a small phrase 'putain de merde' - which literally translated means 'whore of s**t' - not shocking when said in English (well, you wouldn't say it - its just weird and meaningless), but in French it's about the strongest curse you could utter and would certainly raise eyebrows if uttered in the Louvre or the corridors of Versailles !!!!

I wonder if Putin himself has ever wondered why French politicians stifle a giggle when his name is announced at formal occasions?!!!

Thanks. You've made my day! ?

Archived