IGNORED

Kithousery - Ukraine

Lrrr

20 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Absolutely ridiculous. How is having the internationally recognised borders of your country on your kit 'political'? 

That isn't what they are being asked to change. It is just the slogan "Glory to the Heroes" that they are asking to be removed. UEFA are fine with the map.

Ukraine’s football association is in talks with Uefa to keep in place the slogan on its jerseys,” the association’s press service told AFP, after Uefa said the message “Glory to the heroes”, stitched on the inside of the shirt collar, was “clearly political in nature”. The association said that “earlier Uefa had approved the new kit and every element of it, including the slogan”.

However, Uefa on Thursday said that the message, which was used by protesters who ousted the Kremlin-backed president, Viktor Yanukovych, during the Maidan demonstrations in 2013-14, was “clearly political in nature”.

Uefa said the map would not need to be changed because a UN general assembly resolution “recognises the territorial borders as broadly depicted by the design”. The slogan “Glory to Ukraine”, which is on the back of the jersey, was also approved by Uefa as “on its own [it] may be considered as a generic and non-political phrase of general national significance”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/10/ukraine-talks-with-uefa-reverse-euro-2020-glory-heroes-shirt-decision

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

That isn't what they are being asked to change. It is just the slogan "Glory to the Heroes" that they are asking to be removed. UEFA are fine with the map.

Ukraine’s football association is in talks with Uefa to keep in place the slogan on its jerseys,” the association’s press service told AFP, after Uefa said the message “Glory to the heroes”, stitched on the inside of the shirt collar, was “clearly political in nature”. The association said that “earlier Uefa had approved the new kit and every element of it, including the slogan”.

However, Uefa on Thursday said that the message, which was used by protesters who ousted the Kremlin-backed president, Viktor Yanukovych, during the Maidan demonstrations in 2013-14, was “clearly political in nature”.

Uefa said the map would not need to be changed because a UN general assembly resolution “recognises the territorial borders as broadly depicted by the design”. The slogan “Glory to Ukraine”, which is on the back of the jersey, was also approved by Uefa as “on its own [it] may be considered as a generic and non-political phrase of general national significance”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/10/ukraine-talks-with-uefa-reverse-euro-2020-glory-heroes-shirt-decision

I stand corrected.

22 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Cultural thought for the day........

Did you know that if you are in France and say 'Putin', the French will think you are swearing?

Putin (actually spelt Putain), literally translated means 'whore', which in English isn't used as an expletive, but in French it is the strongest of curses - on a par with **** in shock value. It's usually uttered in exasperation, either on its own, or as a small phrase 'putain de merde' - which literally translated means 'whore of s**t' - not shocking when said in English (well, you wouldn't say it - its just weird and meaningless), but in French it's about the strongest curse you could utter and would certainly raise eyebrows if uttered in the Louvre or the corridors of Versailles !!!!

I wonder if Putin himself has ever wondered why French politicians stifle a giggle when his name is announced at formal occasions?!!!

I was aware of this, but of course I have lived in France for many years and am familiar with the word.

For your interest, and I am sorry to be such a spoilsport, when his name is mentioned on the radio or television, it is actually pronounced 'pooteen', which rather spoils the effect.

What you may or not be aware of, though, is the potential embarrassment faced by someone from Shrewsbury when telling somebody in France in which county they live.

Salop, is pronounced like the French word 'Salope', which means the same as Putain.  

21 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Thanks. You've made my day! ?

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was aware of this, but of course I have lived in France for many years and am familiar with the word.

For your interest, and I am sorry to be such a spoilsport, when his name is mentioned on the radio or television, it is actually pronounced 'pooteen', which rather spoils the effect.

What you may or not be aware of, though, is the potential embarrassment faced by someone from Shrewsbury when telling somebody in France in which county they live.

Salop, is pronounced like the French word 'Salope', which means the same as Putain.  

Cheers Phil

potential embarrassment faced by someone from Shrewsbury.....

Yes - and people from, or surnamed 'Beswick' - always raises a giggle!!!! 

7 hours ago, 22A said:

Will Argentina redesign their badge to include las Malvinas? Spain to include Gibraltar and Morocco Cueta? All joking aside, this could set a precedent.

The Crimea is recognised as being part of Ukraine by the UN so no for all of those.  The Falklands and Gibraltar are recognised as British possessions and Cueta as Spanish.

The only equivalents of which I can think would be Palestine which claims some land that Israel occupies and the UN recognises it as Palestinian land and Tibet which China occupies as Russia occupies the Crimea.

On 09/06/2021 at 19:53, Lanterne Rouge said:

Didn`t a match way back when result in a war? Guatemala v El Salvador or somewhere that way?

Honduras and El Salvador, which led to a military conflict between the two nations. Covered memorably in Ryszard Kapuscinski's "The Soccer War". 

Archived