IGNORED

Your First Match and Who Took You

Rich

Must have been around 1964-5. Can distantly remember a game against Rotherham stood at the front of the grandstand and a recollection of the guard of honour for Big John’s final game.

Dad, being a decent rugby player having played for the army national side, was trying to get me into rugby and took me to the Mem frequently. He gave up, when bored stiff, I managed to perform a complete somersault through the gap in the railings on the edge of the pitch- much to the delight of the crowd and my own shock. How I did that through a 6 inch gap I shall never know. Think he was too embarrassed to take me back there after that - so Ashton Gate it was. 

The clear memories really started with the 5-0 thrashing of The Slags.... oh, what a night! And what a journey over 50 plus years... doubt whether any football supporter has experienced such highs and lows following their own club.

1966-67 season? But the memory isn't what it was!. First season after John Atyeo retired I think. The old wooden stand was gone by then, no segregation either. Fred Ford was manager. I went with boys from school (Cotham) and we stood on the corner of the covered end puffing away on players No 6 and felt very grown up. We were 13 !

Dad took me to my first game as a 6 year old in February 1983 v Hartlepool.

We stood in the Park End - think I was smuggled in for free as I went between his legs through the turnstiles - and I’ll always remember seeing my first goal. It was scored in front of the East End and because I was so small I remember seeing the ball sneak in to the corner through the players legs.

Cant believe this was not far off 40 years ago now.

First away game was Reading at Elm Park a few years later - Dec 85 - bloody Michael Gilkes scoring in the last minute ?

5 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

1966-67 season? But the memory isn't what it was!. First season after John Atyeo retired I think. The old wooden stand was gone by then, no segregation either. Fred Ford was manager. I went with boys from school (Cotham) and we stood on the corner of the covered end puffing away on players No 6 and felt very grown up. We were 13 !

Fred Ford came out to Keynsham and took a training session for my team of then Chandag Gang boys club.

Moved to Bristol 1958, lived temporarily in Clifton. Days of Atyeo, Thresher, Gibson. Still got book of stubs from when season tickets were numbered vouchers. Have so often thought of hypnotherapy to help break the habit but still hanging on - though last couple of years have been more bored with the football and ashamed of the team than I can ever remember. Bloody appointing Pearson yet again gives a glimmer of hope so signed up again against my better judgement! Why do I do it to myself? 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Fred Ford came out to Keynsham and took a training session for my team of then Chandag Gang boys club.

Went to College with Fred Ford’s son. Tough unit, like his dad and very much a fan of the dark side. I think his football loyalty was placed on the basis of how his dad had been treated by City. 

He did set me up with one of my ‘golden memory’ goals playing for the college side so he was forgiven, not that I would argued City’s case with him! Good laugh though and recall he had the Bristol sense of humour over farts which other people from the far flung parts of the UK and Ireland in our social group didn’t seem to find so hilariously amusing. 

First game was Freight Rover Final against Bolton at Wembley in 86. I had just turned 7.  Was one of two professional games I went to watch a live game with my late dad. Great memories, the coach journey, playing football in a beer garden on the way home with a load of strangers & just cracking up when I heard the roar of the City fans after the first goal. What a start to following the City! COYR 

Joe Royle debut, Nov 26th 1977, 4-1 vs Middlesbrough, big Joe with all 4 for City. Watched from the Open End with my Dad. Mesmerised by the noise from the East End. I was just 7 then, remember it like yesterday, now an aged 51 year old......4 decades plus and wouldn't change a thing.

(a certain T Cooper and G Souness in the Boro team that day...)

City 1-2 Mansfield Town February 1988. I think Steve McLaren made his debut. Remember Gordon Owen getting pelters (Does your Mrs know you're here) and some bloke mercilessly abusing their goalie, Kevin Hitchcock. Absolutely hooked. 

47 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Leyton Orient in 1966 2/0 win. My Dad took me down to the front of the Enclosure and the only thing i can remember about the game was a couple of women telling the Orient players off for swearing.!!!

Bingo - my first as well. Open end debut.

First remembered game 1966 aged 10 Atyeo's last season fully hooked on city by the end of that season and his testimonial against leeds even though we lost 4-2 what a player there has only been one like him IMHO Taylor.

I discovered the club in 2007: it all started with the away match against Boro (FA Cup), that I watched with a friend on an Italian channel. Thanks to promotion I was able to watch more matches and my interest in the team grew, leading me to become a supporter: shame that such an outstanding season ended so cruelly...but in a certain way, that outcome pushed me even more closer to the Robins.

1st game was WBA in 75/76 and I went to the match hoping to watch Geoff Hurst play for WBA and supporting WBA. The next game I saw was the first game in Div 1 against Stoke and I decided to support City and have been hooked ever since .  Looking at tonight’s threads and remembering 1986 FRT I can’t thank Terry Cooper enough for what he did in the Fourth Division days and giving me some of my fondest memories of watching City. He had been a key member of the great Leeds team, played for England  but was willing to so hands on and put his heart and soul into the club.

I think it was PNE in Jan 74. At least I remember my uncle taking me to a 0-0 game where they gave out vouchers for the up-coming FA Cup home tie v the mighty (back then) Leeds Utd. 

Don't remember much about the game, was 13 and not massively into football. Really started properly when I went to the first game after promtion at Highbury. That was when I got totally hooked. 

As long as I can remember. My dad was a Rovers fan, so is my brother-in-law; but luckily for me I listened to my brother as he's a City fan! My first game I saw was a Boxing Day match against Plymouth, a 2-2 draw. That was the 75-76 season when we got promoted to the old First Division, so I must've been a glory hunter really!

First match was November 7th 1998, a certain mascots fight- Benny's first home game!

Kinda followed us a bit before that in the Green Un and I do recall some kinda school trip to a game mid 1990s, Peterborough I think. First game I properly remember though was the 1998 v Wolves...maybe it was the Mascot fight that kept me coming back, can't have been the football...;)

8 hours ago, Rich said:

As per the title.

I've been coming to Ashton Gate since January 1967 (Halifax Town FA Cup replay), though I know attended a few games in 1966, just can't remember them. It's been virtually unbroken bar the odd games since about 1968. Don't get to many away games as there are always other demands on my time.

There are friends and family who've been going for the same time and some even longer. I also see lots of people at the ground that I recognise from those early years and they've obviously been going for just as long. I doubt it's possible to find out if the club have this sort of information, maybe supporters groups that carry out surveys might. 

I am fed up of hearing the methane sniffers constantly going on about how loyal they are and how disloyal we as a fan base are, it's utter bullshyte. They're probably confused by the fact that we as supporters hold the club/management/owners to task if things aren't going well. Where as they put up with years of rubbish and must fear being called unloyal, or a shyte head if they dare to complain, while their club exploit that so called loyalty, with constant promises of better times.

58 years

Archived